How do I fine-tune Toad Insight code assist?

I am using Toad for Oracle Base 11.5.1.2; I have asked my company if our licensing includes upgrading to the current version of Toad but I have not received an answer yet.

In Editor -> Code Assist, I have Enable Code Insight pick lists checked, and I have select the objects that I want to see in ‘Toad Insight Objects’. I discovered that when I have the Users object unchecked, code assist does not work where I want it to, but it is still attempting to “assist” in places where I don’t want it to.

For example, if I have the following:

“select u. from apps.fnd_user u”

where typing “u.” should invoke the code assist with a list of fields for that table, nothing happens.

However, when I type the word ‘and’ (in the where clause) and hit space, it automatically changes ‘and’ to ‘andavis’ (I think one of our users/schemas). There seems to be no in between.

Why do I have to have Users checked in order for code assist to work? I don’t want a list of users, I only use one schema, which is set as my default schema.

Hello,

I can reproduce your first issue in 11.5 but not in the latest commercial release 12.7.1. So it looks like this has been fixed along the way somewhere.

From: parrothead [mailto:bounce-caliandrade@toadworld.com]

Sent: Monday, September 21, 2015 6:58 PM

To: toadoracle@toadworld.com

Subject: [Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum] How do I fine-tune Toad Insight code assist?

Thread created by parrothead

I am using Toad for Oracle Base 11.5.1.2; I have asked my company if our licensing includes upgrading to the current version of Toad but I have not received an answer yet.

In Editor -> Code Assist, I have Enable Code Insight pick lists checked, and I have select the objects that I want to see in ‘Toad Insight Objects’. I discovered that when I have the Users object unchecked, code assist does not work where I want it to, but it is still attempting to “assist” in places where I don’t want it to.

“select u. from apps.fnd_user u”

where typing “u.” should invoke the code assist with a list of fields for that table, nothing happens.

However, when I type the word ‘and’ (in the where clause) and hit space, it automatically changes ‘and’ to ‘andavis’ (I think one of our users/schemas). There seems to be no in between.

Why do I have to have Users checked in order for code assist to work? I don’t want a list of users, I only use one schema, which is set as my default schema.

To reply, please reply-all to this email.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Or
Unsubscribe from Toad for Oracle - General
notifications altogether.

Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

I am new to the Toad community; where would I look to confirm that it has been fixed (before I really start to bug my company about upgrading)? Also, is there a way to determine myself (as a nobody) whether our license covers the upgrade or not?

Why do I have to have Users checked in order for code assist to work?

As Brad noted, the Users requirement has been fixed.

However, when I type the word 'and' (in the where clause) and hit space, it automatically changes 'and' to 'andavis' (I think one of our users/schemas). There seems to be no in between.

Check your Auto Replace options. In Options on the Editor|Behavior tab click the "Auto Replace" button. Do you have anything in there mapping "and" to "andavis?" If not, is Code Insight open when you press Space? If so, it will accept the likely match, andavis in your case. Newer versions of Toad have option to disable space as an auto accept key.

Michael

On 09/21/2015 06:57 PM, parrothead wrote:

Thread created by parrothead

In Editor -> Code Assist, I have Enable Code Insight pick lists checked, and I have select the objects that I want to see in 'Toad Insight Objects'. I discovered that when I have the Users object unchecked, code assist does not work where I want it to, but it is still attempting to "assist" in places where I don't want it to.

"select u. from apps.fnd_user u"

where typing "u." should invoke the code assist with a list of fields for that table, nothing happens.

However, when I type the word 'and' (in the where clause) and hit space, it automatically changes 'and' to 'andavis' (I think one of our users/schemas). There seems to be no in between.

Why do I have to have Users checked in order for code assist to work? I don't want a list of users, I only use one schema, which is set as my default schema.

Or

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

You can download the Toad 12.7 Trial to test anything in full for a limited time. You can also grab the latest Toad Freeware. I believe that most (if not all) of Code Insight is functional in freeware.

On 09/22/2015 10:46 AM, parrothead wrote:

RE: How do I fine-tune Toad Insight code assist?

Reply by parrothead
I am new to the Toad community; where would I look to confirm that it has been fixed (before I really start to bug my company about upgrading)? Also, is there a way to determine myself (as a nobody) whether our license covers the upgrade or not?

Or

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

Also, note that the Users checked requirement has been removed, but the same query must be executed behind the scenes. Unchecking Users will hide them from the tree, but gain you nothing in performance.

Michael

On 09/22/2015 10:46 AM, parrothead wrote:

Reply by parrothead

Or

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

You got a confirmation from the Toad QA Manager and the developer who writes this code. Is that good? :slight_smile:

When you login to the support portal I think it should know if you are eligible for an upgrade or not. We’re on the development side here so maybe someone else on the PM side can chime in on this one if they are monitoring the boards.

From: parrothead [mailto:bounce-caliandrade@toadworld.com]

Sent: Tuesday, September 22, 2015 10:47 AM

To: toadoracle@toadworld.com

Subject: RE: [Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum] How do I fine-tune Toad Insight code assist?

Reply by parrothead

Or

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

Thanks for the info!

To answer your questions:

No, there is no mapping of ‘and’ to ‘andavis’; Yes, Code Insight is open, but I would expect that it would choose ‘andavis’ only if I hit ‘enter’, but not if I hit ‘space’ - it should ignore the Code Insight list completely if I hit space. Instead, it changes ‘and’ to ‘andavis’ and then after the space it opens Code Insight again, but I haven’t even typed anything - why would it open if I haven’t typed anything? At that point, it’s just annoying because I always have to hit esc to close it.

I will download the free version and check it out; if that doesn’t work, I’ll check out the trial version - thanks for letting me know!

I did submit a request in the licensing section, and they promised me a response within 48 hours. :slight_smile:

I let my company know that there is a “bug” in 11.5 that is fixed in the current version, so I’ll keep my fingers crossed! (The person making the decision doesn’t know or care whether it’s a real bug or not)