How To Import a Power Designer model into Toad Modeler

Hi Stefan,

I’m back earlier.

I did following:
Another developer experienced the same issue and solved it:

1. Did the Test Model (right click on the model) for both the models- there were several errors in the models. All the same- different data types for paired PKs and FKs (e.g.NUMBER(x,y) and NUMBER).
  2. Did the Repair Model. When you do the Repair Model, you get FKs have the same data type as PKs.
    After this repair, the AlterScript generator and comparison did what expected.

Regards,
Lukas

Hi Lukas,

I tested it. Now the application hangs: 15 minutes with no response… I become desperate…

Hi Stefan,

it hangs when? Did the Repair Model work? Have you tried the Test Model on both the models?
They both have the errors with data type. And AlterScript generation took like 1 minute altogether without any problems. Sometimes TDM says Not responding, but when you leave it for a couple of seconds, it goes on.

Regards,
Lukas

Hi Lukas,

as I wrote in my last post I have repaired both models and it worked ok: no errors after repairing.

I have now deinstalled all Quest products from my machine, cleaned registry and folders and reinstalled TDM 4.1.

But unfortunately with no success. I get the same access violation as before after clicking “finish” in the sync and convert wizard.

It takes one minute on your system? What jmachine do you have? On my i7 it takes 4 minutes until the compare is done, Power Designer made the same job within 21 secs…

What to do now???

Hi,

another update:

I installed TDM in a XP-VM on my machine. There it works slow, but it works without Access Violation.
My colleague installed it on his laptop (same model as mine), he gets the same error (access Violation).

Hi Stefan,

we have been trying really hard. There are two of us working on it, testing, trying to make something out of that random reproducing the AV. I managed to get the AV twice when having loaded the machine really hard with other applications (like building vast documents with distiller, having loaded another huge model in TDM etc.).

My config is Win 7 Enterprise SP1 64-bit on Dell Optiplex 790, i7 2600, 8GB RAM. So it gets sometimes difficult to make the machine really loaded, but it seems connected with performance and services running… There have been several AVs like this reported in the past, but we never succeeded in tracing any cause. It just fails on scrypting by random (as it seems. But believe me, we’re trying really hard now and will go on.

Have you found any clues, please let me know.

Thank you for your time and cooperation, Stefan.

Regards,
Lukas

Hi Lukas,

thanks for your big efforts! But currently the TDM is of no use for us.

As a little help I can provide you this info again:

• Installed TDM 4.1 on two identical Lenovo T410 i7 M620 (2,66 GHz, 8 GB RAM), Win 7 64 Bit Enterprise SP1:
    Same behaviour on the two machines: Access Violation after some time of generating an alter script. There was now other program running beside TDM, the machines bore themselves!
  • Installed TDM 4.1 on a VM running on one of the above described Lenovo Laptops ( Win XP 32 Bit Enterprise SP3):
    TDM runs fine, alter gerneration works.

What can we do to support you? Are there any logs to be activated? Debug?

regards,
Stefan.
Message was edited by: stefan_xavo

Hi again,

I have a few other questions concerning TDM. Who can help?
Questions:

• How can I import a DDL script, e.g. to import a single table into an existing model?
  • How can I prevent TDM to create quotationmarks before and after namjes in generated scripts?
  • Where can I find answers to these and eventually occuring further questions?

regards,
Stefan

Hi Lukas,

an update from my side: meanwhile we installed TDM 4.1 on two other machines, another Lenovo T410 (same as mine) and on a Dell Latitude E6400. All machines with Win 7 64 Bit Professional SP1.

On all above mentioned machines we can reproduce the access violation, even with different models! So it seems to be a Win7 issue!?

Thanks for your help in advance…

regards,
Stefan

Hi Stefan,

1. There are various ways how to do it. The fastest method might be Live Reverse Engineering. Click File | Connections and use this form to specify connection to the SQL file. When all settings are set, click Connect. The LIVE RE button should be activated. Click the LIVE RE button, new Object Palette window opens. Use drag and drop technique to add new table to existing model.

Another method can be the following: reverse engineer the table via Sync & Convert Wizard, new model will be created. Copy the entity from new model and paste it to the target model. (Or do model merge).

1. Before you generate SQL code, uncheck checkbox Use Quotation Marks on tab Details. (F9, tab Details).

2. Here :slight_smile: Of course, if you purchased TDM you can take advantage of official Quest Support. This forum is managed by dev team and our sources and time is limited, that’s why it might take few days to publish answers. (In any case we answer questions as soon as we can.)

Regards,

Vaclav

Hi,

thanks for the answer.

to 1)
I cannot a select a sql file here. I must enter a database connection, but simply want to import a sql file (a textfile with e.g. ONE create table, index script in it).
Second point is, if I have the palette window open after clicking the LIVE RE button, I cannot drag&drop anything out of this list. I get the forbidden-sign if I try to drag something out of the window.
–> does not work for me.

Via Sync & Convert Wizard:
Here I can only select “convert model to another target db system”, “merge models”, “generate alter script” (which does still not work) and “compare models”. Where can I select a sql file here?

Are there any news about the Access Violations?

regards,
Stefan

Hi,

LIVE RE should work for SQL scripts as well. See screenshots.

If you wish to merge models you need to reverse engineer the SQL file via Reverse Engineering Wizard. New model will be created. Then you can merge newly created model with existing model - using the Merge Models option in Sync & Convert Wizard.

RE access violation: We develop TDM on machines with Windows 7, if there was some issue we would probably know about it, but now I see no reason why it works on your machines when XP is used instead of Win 7. Can you do a clean install of Win 7 on virtual machine and give it a try? (I would like to avoid problems with antiviral software, scripting etc.) There were some problems with IE9 in past, but all known problems were fixed either by Microsoft or by us.

Regards,

Vaclav

Message was edited by: vaclav
import-sql-2.png

Hi,

LIVE RE should work for SQL scripts as well. See screenshots.

If you wish to merge models you need to reverse engineer the SQL file via Reverse Engineering Wizard. New model will be created. Then you can merge newly created model with existing model - using the Merge Models option in Sync & Convert Wizard.

RE access violation: We develop TDM on machines with Windows 7, if there was some issue we would probably know about it, but now I see no reason why it works on your machines when XP is used instead of Win 7. Can you do a clean install of Win 7 on virtual machine and give it a try? (I would like to avoid problems with antiviral software, scripting etc.) There were some problems with IE9 in past, but all known problems were fixed either by Microsoft or by us.

Regards,

Vaclav

Message was edited by: vaclav
import-sql.png

Hi Vaclav,

as recommended I did a clean install of Win7 in a VM and installed TDM. Alter script generation works fine. But if I must work within a VM I could continue working with Power Designer!
It seems to me that it is not an issue of a single installation on my machine. It does not work correctly on one machine in our company! My colleague told me one moment ago that TDM even crashes while working on a table within a model.

Attached I send you two log files of the Sync & Convert Wizard, one from the Win7 VM and one from my host system (Win7, crashing). Strange thing is that the logs are different, allthough I compared the same models!?
Second point is that my host system crashes on different points if I start it multiple times…

Hope you can help…

regards,
Stefan.
Logs.zip (818 KB)

Hi Stefan,

this is strange and I think we might try to look at differences between system on VM and your machine. Do you use some antiviral software, specialized tool that somehow tracks/checks access to Microsoft Scripting etc. ? Toad Data Modeler uses Microsoft Scripting extensively. The scripting is a standard part of OS (can be affected by installation of IE9) and should be fully accessible.

In past we worked on issues related to antiviral software that contained features that limited access to Microsoft Scripting. Your access to scripting is not blocked (without access to scripting you would not be able to generate anything) but I am not sure if it is not being tracked by some tool - this might have affect on perfomance and if all of you in your company use the same software (antiviral etc.) then it might be the reason why it works on VM and not on your machines.

Please, can your co-worker send us Eureka Log when he gets Access Violation? This would be really helpful.

Can you please clarify the last item? “…Second point is that my host system crashes on different points if I start it multiple times…” What does the host system mean?

BTW: does the Live RE work on your machine?

Regards,

Vaclav

Hi Vaclav,
we are using sophos antivirus. I turned off sophos, de-installed IE9 on my machine, the same access violation occurs. I traced access with procmon and found out that TDM fails whenever the RegKey HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\CTF\KnownClasses is tried to access. (The key “KnownClasses” does not exist on my machine. Another difference: the Win7 VM is a 32Bit one.

My co-worker wants to know whats an Eureka Log? He is desperate, because TDM cannot be used inthe current status.

“Host system” is my machine, not the VM running on it.

Live RE works, but I cannot drag anything out of the window?! Always the forbidden icon appears…

Hi Stefan,

thank you for sending me details. Please send your co-worker a link to this blog article: http://blogs.inside.quest.com/modeling/2011/02/02/how-to-send-eureka-log/

We will look into the matter with registry. I will let you know our findings ASAP.

Live RE:
a) Please make sure the model is for the same target database as reverse engineered script. (Oracle 10g model and Oracle 10g script)
b) Make sure the object is not in your model. Using drag and drop you can add new objects to existing models, but for updating existing objects model merge or model update must be used.
c) What object cannot be pasted to your model, please? (object type, e.g. Entity)

Thank you,

Vaclav

Hi Vaclav,

I forwarded the Eurake thing to my colleague. Thanks.

LiveRE works. I selected Oracle 10g, the model is in 9i. Strange constraint…
By the way, how can I move my model to 10g or 11g?

regards,
Stefan.

Hi Stefan,

TDM should not need access to the registry entry (there might some other third party component we use in TDM that might require it, but we do not suppose this is the case - and without detailed information about when exactly it is required we are not able to reproduce it).

If you try to google for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\CTF\KnownClasses problems you will find various sites where problems are discussed and in some cases reinstallation of OS helped.

Regards,

Vaclav

Hi,

if you wish to convert a model from Oracle 9i to Oracle 10g or 11g, open your model for Oracle 9i and use Sync & Convert wizard or click File | Sync & Convert and select Sync & Convert Wizard. In step 3 (Select Right Side) select Oracle 10g or Oracle 11g. In step 4 (Settings) uncheck the Comment Out Database Specific Items checkbox otherwise your stored proc. etc. will be commented out (this is good when you convert model from Oracle to Microsoft SQL Server etc.)

Regards,

Vaclav