We actually analyze TDM 184.108.40.206 (trial with full license key) as we want to switch over from erwin to tdm. From the aspect of functionality (special the customization) TDM looks very good.
We reversed our erwin ddl model (oracle 10g) to a tdm physical model. In this model we made our adaptions (default users, permissions, triggers etc.). From this base model we want to generate ddl scripts for our suppported target databases (oracle, postgres 8.4, sql server,…). For this we used the convert/synch wizzard.
Using this functionality (reverse, convert, create alter scripts) we came into extreme trouble concerning the TDM performance:
- reverse engineer takes about 25 minutes. Here revese tables is the time consuming factor (60 tables, column count from 5 to 50).
- converting to any other db (postgres, even oracle) seems to hang. After 30 minutes we aborted the process.
Then we converted the model by selecting only a single entity. Even this procedure takes more than 10 minutes
- alter script generation is the same. About 25 minutes to generate ddl script, where only some attributes are changed.
The machine has no other programs run.
I don’t know whether this is a general problem of TDM.
Are there any ideas how that problem could be solved ?
- WINDOWS XP, SP3
- no Firewall, no AntiVirus
- 2 GByte RAM
- CPU Intel Core 2 Duo T7100, 1,8Ghz