Data Modeler errors on startup

I just installed Toad Xpert edition v10.6.1.
When I try to open the Data Modeler I get one of the following errors:

• Access violation
  • Out of memory
  • External exception

Is the most recent version of Data Modeler included in Toad Xpert 10.6.1? Are there any other system requirements that could be causing this?

Thanks,
Mitch

Hi,

can you send us more information, please? Ideally, send EurekaLog to modeling@quest.com. Detailed instructions attached.

Thank you in advance,

Vaclav
How to send Eureka Log.pdf (226 KB)

Hi,

can you send us more information, please? Ideally, send EurekaLog to modeling@quest.com. Detailed instructions attached.

Thank you in advance,

Vaclav
How to send Message Explorer Log.pdf (309 KB)

Hi Vaclav,

Sorry for the lack of details. Unfortunately, I cannot send a Message Log because Data Modeler does not even open. I also cannot send a Eureka Log as the Access Violation error that I get upon launching Data Modeler does not have the Copy to Clipboard option (nor any the log content). Here are the entire contents of the error message:

Error

Access violation at address 004034A9 in module ‘TDM.exe’. Read of address 03FAFFFC

When I first tried to run the product after installation, I received an Out Of Memory error. Every subsequent attempt to run it produces the Access violation above.

Thanks for your help,
Mitch

Hi,

thank you for your reply. If there is no possibility to copy eureka log, please follow instruction published at:
http://blogs.inside.quest.com/modeling/2011/02/02/when-tdm-wont-start/

and…

1. Backup and then delete TDM.TXE configuration file
    Possible path (Vista): c:\Users{user name}\AppData\Roaming\Quest Software\Toad Data Modeler{installation number or name}\Configs\TDM.TXE

2. Run TDM with command line parameter Start-Log.
    Details at: http://blogs.inside.quest.com/modeling/2010/11/02/problems-on-application-startup/

3. Send us your TDM.elf file (Eureka Log generated file)
    Possible path (WinXP): C:\Documents and Settings{user name}*Application Data*\Quest Software\Toad Data Modeler\

Thank you very much for your cooperation.

Regards,

Vaclav

Thanks Vaclav. Starting it up via command line option did produce a log file. The unfortunate thing is that I’m running on a separate development network and simply sending you the log file is overly cumbersome. Is there something specific I can look for in the file that would tip you off to what’s happening?

Here are the last few lines of the log:

Before Package Dependency Check

After CheckDependecies

After CheckExtensions

After Select Cycled Packages. Unresolved “True”

Before Disengage Unresolved Dependency Packages

Disengage Unresolved Dependency Package “”, Before remove Details

Thanks,

Mitch

Hi,

thank you for the info. There seems to problem with user packages or system packages (files *.txg).

Default path to user packages on WinXP is:
C:\Documents and Settings{user name}\My Documents\Toad Data Modeler{installation name}\Packages{GUID}\

Please backup files in the folder and then try to delete them and run TDM. If it doesn’t help, the problem may be in damaged/wrong system packages.

System packages are located here by default:
C:\Program Files\Quest Software\Toad Data Modeler 3\Packages\System

In order to fix problem with system packages, backup the files, uninstall TDM, delete all system packages that survived the uninstall process (there should be no package in the folder, but to be sure just look if the folder exists or is empty after uninstallation) and then install TDM again. Make sure you select all database platforms you wish to work with during the installation.

I hope it helps,

Regards,

Vaclav

Sorry for the delay in replying. I tried your suggestions …

When I deleted the user packages and ran TDM, I got:

External Error 80000001.

When I uninstalled TDM, the System folder was removed. Then I installed just TDM from the “Toad for Oracle 10.6.1 Suite Commercial.exe” file. The files that got installed in the System folder appeared to be identical to the ones that were there before. When I ran TDM, I got the same error:

External Error 80000001

Any other suggestions?

Thanks for the help.
-Mitch

Morning all,

I have just installed Toad 10.6 as well and upgraded TDM to 3.6.6.7 as part of the install. Equally, I’ve wiped everything and reinstalled afresh using the latest TDM release from Quest Support - the same problem occurs with both.

I am also now seeing the “External Exception 80000001” error. Creating a start-log works, and appears to blow up at the same point as the original poster:

Before Package Dependency Check
After CheckDependecies
After CheckExtensions
After Select Cycled Packages. Unresolved “True”
Before Disengage Unresolved Dependency Packages
Disengage Unresolved Dependency Package “”, Before remove Details

I have deleted everything from previous installations:

C:\Documents and Settings\NDUNBAR-CG\Application Data\Quest Software\Toad Data Modeler

H:\My Documents\Toad Data Modeler

And everything from the HKLM/software/quest software/tdm hive in the reguistry. Effectively, I’m doing a completely clean install (unless something is hidden away elsewhere?)

Regardless, I get an exception on every attempt to use the application. I do get prompted for a “new installation” setup on initial running,

The installation is onto Windows 2000 SP4.

Unfortunately, I have now lost my TDM license key! :frowning: I presume I can get the details from Quest Support?

I have done all the usual stuff of backing up and deleting *.txe and the configs folder etc etc - nothing makes any difference. I have attached the start log file in case it helps. There is no tdm.elf created I’m afraid.

I have created an XP virtual Machin running 32 bit under VirtualBox 3.x. That allows me to get into TDM. Unfortunately, it’s not on the network, so I can’t use it to connect to databases. :frowning:

I have, unfortunately, never had a proper working upgrade of TDM - I wonder if it’s down to Windows 2000? Being so old?

Cheers,
Norm. [TeamT]
Start TDM3 Log.txt (747 KB)

Morning again,

ok, things are getting very very strange now!

After my last post on this matter, I renamed the file “C:\Documents and Settings\NDUNBAR-CG\Application Data\Quest Software\Toad Data Modeler\Installation 1\Configs\TDM.txe” and tried again - same exception 80000001.

So I went up a level and renamed the “C:\Documents and Settings\NDUNBAR-CG\Application Data\Quest Software\Toad Data Modeler\Installation 1\Configs” folder. This time, TDM started correctly with no exceptions!

So, good news, I can now run TDM.

Better news, my licence details have been picked up from somewhere (Toad For Oracle?).

Bad news. I did a winmerge comparison of the old and new configs folders - they are identical. I compared the tdm.txe files in the olf and new conmfigs folders, they too are identical. There is, apparently, no reason why there should have been a problem starting TDM because the before and after files are all the same. :frowning:

Cheers,
Norm. [TeamT]

Hi Norm,

cannot understand the problem either, we are right in the middle of investigation :slight_smile:
We have some clues it might be connected with bundle installation and installed databeses support so if you would not mind, I would ask you to help us and try uninstalling and instal again with full databases support.

If you have a standalone installation, please try the latest beta release from http://usdownloads.quest.com.edgesuite.net/Repository/www.toadsoft.com/tdm/ToadDataModeler_Beta_4.0.3.8.zip and send us the start log, please.

We appreciate your help!

Thanx,

Lukas

Hi Lukas,

I have only (ever) installed suppoprt for Oracle databases - I have no use for the others. I shall, however, remove everything as I did before, and reinstall with evertything turned on - as per the default settings.

I don’t have my licence anymore for a stand alone install I’m afraid, I can only install alongside Toad for Oracle, for which I have a licence.

Incidentally, when I installed afresh into my XP VM, I only installed Oracle database support. That worked fine.

Cheers,
Norm. [TeamT]

Hi Lukas,

ok, here we go …

1. Deinstalled everything. Cleared out all TDM folders and registry settings.

2. Reinstalled with full default settings - everything installed to default locations - except “only for me” rather than “all users”. (I only have a license for me.)

3. Started - did the first run thing, and then TDM opened fine.

4. Wiped everything again.

5. Re-ran the installer and this time, selected only Oracle, XP Manifest and Universal database. Nothing else selected.

6. Started again. Did the first run thing, then blew up with “Access violation at address 004034A9 in module TDM.exe. Read of address 0597FFFC”

7. Click OK, TDM vanished.

8. Start->Programs->…->TDM 3.6

9. External Exception 80000001.

10. Started installer again.

11. Reselected everything with Microsoft in it’s name for installation. (Access, SQLAzure and SQL Server).

12. Start->programs-> … ->TDM 3.6.

13. TDM executed correctly, after a loooooooong pause showing the startup screen!

14. Ran the installer and removed SQL Server.

15. TDM still works fine.

16. Re-ran the installer and removed Access.

17. TDM failed to start, External Exception 80000001 again.

18. Reran the installer, deinstalled SQLAzure and reinstalled Access.

19. TDM failed to start, External Exception 80000001 again.

20. Reran the installer, added SQLAzure back again.

21. TDM worked again.

Make of the above what you will! It seems that I need to install at least Access and SQLAzure as well as Oracle to avoid this problem.

Cheers,
Norm. [TeamT]

Great info feeding!
We’re working on it. Just to be sure- you installed the bundle TDM? as you do not have that standalone license? The bundle is 10.6.1 (TDM 3.6.6.7?)
Cheers!
Lukas

Hi Lukas,

I had to use the standalone installer for TDM 3.6.6.7 because the one bundled with the Toad For Oracle 10.6.0 installer will only allow me to deinstall (Start->Programs->Quest Software->Quest Installer). When run, doesn’t give me the option to reinstall, only to remove already installed products.

However, it is allowing my Toad For Oracle license to be used and “registers” the product.

Cheers,
Norm. [TeamT]

Hey Norm,
can you try installing the latest beta release from http://usdownloads.quest.com.edgesuite.net/Repository/www.toadsoft.com/tdm/ToadDataModeler_Beta_4.0.3.8.zipand send us the start log, please?It would help us a lot. I know we are asking too much of your time, really sorry for that!
Thanks a lot,
Lukas

Yes, TOAD licenses the standalone installation, we have assumed you are using it this way.
Lukas

Lukas,

I have the download. It will be tomorrow (at least) before I get a chance to try it out I’m afraid. I have about 20 databases to document via the TDM reverse engineering facility - that has to be my priority today. :frowning:

Cheers,
Norm. [TeamT]

We are here for you Norm, not viceversa.
No need to excuse yourself, buddy. We are really glad that you are willing to cooperate and help us!
May the force be with you.
Lukas

Lukas,

sorry about what follows, but you leave me with no option:

May the force be with you.
Use the source Lukas!

Cheers,
Norm. [TeamT]