How to move folder AppData-Roaming-Dell-Toad-Data Modeler to other dir?

I prefer to keep all components of a program together.

Unfortunately Toad Data Modeler creates a settings folder

C:\Users<username>\AppData\Roaming\Dell\Toad Data Modeler\

while the main installation folder is in

D:\tools\ToadDataModeler\

How can I move the settings folder to another directory?
I prefer a subdirectory like

D:\tools\ToadDataModeler\mysettings\

Therefore Toad Data Modeler should automatically look at first in this customized location before the software looks at
C:\Users<username>\AppData\Roaming\Dell\Toad Data Modeler\

Another solution could be to pass a parameter at the commandline similar to

D:\tools\ToadDataModeler\Bin\TDM.exe -settingsfolder=“D:\tools\ToadDataModeler\mysettings”

Is this somehow possible?

Peter

Hello Peter,

this choice is not implemented in current version. All settings are saved in Roaming folders all times.

Daril

Ok,thank you for the answer.

Maybe this option can be added in the next release?

Is there an official feature request tracker for Toad?

Peter

Hi Peter,

I have not tried this for Toad but it works for other software such as Apple iTunes so the concept should be the same…

Make sure the Toad application software is closed and not loaded in memory.

Open a command prompt by hitting the start button and typing CMD in the search box that opens up, or with Start > Run on older Windows.

To move the current backup folder from C: to D: (for example) type in this command and press

Move “C:\Users<username>\AppData\Roaming\Dell\Toad Data Modeler” “D:\Toad Data Modeler”

Where is your Windows user name.

To make Toad look for the data in the new location type in this command and press

MkLink /J “C:\Users<username>\AppData\Roaming\Dell\Toad Data Modeler” “D:\Toad Data Modeler”

If your preferred drive has a different letter or you want a different folder/path name then edit “D:\Toad Data Modeler” accordingly in both commands.

If you have Windows XP then you’ll need a third-party tool such as Junction to link the two locations together instead of the MkLink command.

Open the Toad application software and try it out.

If it does not work then, you can always move the folder back:

Move “D:\Toad Data Modeler” “C:\Users<username>\AppData\Roaming\Dell\Toad Data Modeler”

Let me know if it works,

Denis

It works (so far)

Great!

However I wonder whether it wouldn’t be better to create a symbolic link instead of a Junction Point (as you described).

Peter