How to view/verify update results before commit

Hello,

I recently upgraded from toad 10 (10.5.0.41) to 12 (12.10.0.30). There are several things I used to do in TOAD 10 and I cannot seem to find the correct settings to mimic this behavior in 12.

In 10, I would open an editor, and I could run a basic update statement:

update table1 set type=1 where id between 1 and 10;

Then I could view it in the same query window

select * from table1 where id between 1 and 10;

At this point I would review the data and determine if I wanted to commit or rollback. In TOAD 12, I cannot do this. It is showing me the original data without the changes. I am in the same editor window. In the old one, if I went to a different editor window it also would not have the changes. Only in the window where I made the change would I be able to see the changes. This was an extremely handy feature… I have tried to compare my settings between 10 and 12 several times, but I have not been able to find anything. It seems it would tie to executing queries in threads, and I do have that turned on:

Thank you in advance for any advice.

How are you executing? Are you using Execute as Script (F5)? If so, check your “Execute scripts in Toad session” option on the Oracle|Transactions page in Options. If unchecked you see the behavior you’re seeing. If checked it works as you expect.

Michael

Hi Michael,

Well that works, but it’s pretty ugly. The script output is not nearly as easy to see as the data grid. It’s really a shame this doesn’t work as it used to. It was a great feature.

Grid:

select * from xx_table where processing_ind = 526180 --note , pic does not show all cols.

–run update as script – says updated 3 recs

update xx_table set processed_ind = 526180 where processing_ind = 526180 --query sets null column

Run the select again as a script to view 3 recs w/changes. output: Circle shows updated value.

Wish there was a way to refresh the grid and see the results there. Previously, everything done in this same editor window would be in the thread and reflect the changes. Regardless, thank you for your reply.

–Anndria

The information contained in this message is intended only for the personal and confidential use of the recipient(s) named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or an agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received this document in error and that any review, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately, and delete the original message.

Retraction… the grid tab does it! Thanks!

The information contained in this message is intended only for the personal and confidential use of the recipient(s) named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or an agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received this document in error and that any review, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately, and delete the original message.