Improve Editor backup

There are some things about editor backups and recovering documents that I would like to discuss.

1. A file that has been restored once cannot be restored again if TOAD crashes again.
    This seems to be caused by ~EditorBackupsPrompted.txt, not sure why it works this way

2. Saving restored files that are files opened from the filesystem works great for the first file, but for the second file it displays the path where the first file was stored instead of the actual path of the second file.

3. Usually bad things happen when executing queries or compiling source. Would it be possible to store backups when executing, maybe in a different thread?
    If not, would it be possible to let me configure the backup frequency in seconds?

I've logged these to visit when time permits. They are all good points.

1. Once you restore an item from backup the temp file storing its contents is removed and the item is removed from ~EditorBackups.txt. That backup is officially gone at this point. Toad should probably continue backing up the restored tab and not assume that because it was restored that it has been saved off again. ~EditorBackupsPrompted.txt stores a reference to backups that you've been alerted to. Any items you've been prompted to recover, but have dismissed can still be recovered via File|Recover Documents.

2. Toad is using the path of the last opened or saved file. For you it's matching up to the first file, but it won't always. The Editor does not have the full path information of the backed up file, but it should.

3. Backups are already created via thread, but performing a backup at these times would need to be synchronous to ensure the backup completes before any problems occur. Generally I think the entire process could be enhanced a bit. The IDE we use stores N backups of each file and you can use those backups to go back through a file's history, diff copies within the history, etc. It's quite handy.

Michael

On 01/25/2016 09:12 AM, Peter Lang wrote:

Improve Editor backup

Thread created by Peter Lang
There are some things about editor backups and recovering documents that I would like to discuss.

1. A file that has been restored once cannot be restored again if TOAD crashes again.

This seems to be caused by ~EditorBackupsPrompted.txt, not sure why it works this way

1. Saving restored files that are files opened from the filesystem works great for the first file, but for the second file it displays the path where the first file was stored instead of the actual path of the second file.

2. Usually bad things happen when executing queries or compiling source. Would it be possible to store backups when executing, maybe in a different thread?

If not, would it be possible to let me configure the backup frequency in seconds?

To reply, please reply-all to this email.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Or
Unsubscribe from Toad for Oracle - Beta
notifications altogether.

Toad for Oracle - Beta Discussion Forum

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.