Does the recover from backup option work?

From the help file, I see that if Toad exits abnormally, when you next login, it’s supposed to pop up a box asking if you want to recover the backed up editor files.

I have never seen this happen in the 10+ years that I’ve been using Toad (crikey… now I’m feeling old!), despite having the auto-backup running.

I’ve also discovered the menu option you can click to recover the documents (“No files found to recover”!), but Toad hasn’t crashed recently, so I can’t test it properly.

So I’m interested in other people’s experiences of this - has this actually worked for anyone else? Have you ever had the pop-up box when you log back in after an abnormal exit (crashes and end task count as abnormal, right?!)?

I’m wondering if it only works when you’ve got only one instance of Toad running or only one editor window open at the time of the abnormal exit. Or perhaps there’s an option I’m missing somewhere… (and yes, the option to auto backup the editor is set!)

I’ve had file recovery work for me.

Dave

Afternoon Boneist1,

From the help file, I see that if Toad exits abnormally,
when you next login, it's supposed to pop up a box asking if
you want to recover the backed up editor files.

I have never seen this happen in the 10+ years that I've
been using Toad (crikey... now I'm feeling old!), despite
having the auto-backup running.

Lots of times!

I suspect you have auto backup running and as such, your files don't
need to be recovered after a crash. My autobackup period is longer than
the mean time between windows crashes, so I do see the recovery pop-up.
It just works.

It can recover multiple files from multiple editors and tabs.

Cheers,
Norm. [TeamT]

Information in this message may be confidential and may be legally privileged. If you have received this message by mistake, please notify the sender immediately, delete it and do not copy it to anyone else. We have checked this email and its attachments for viruses. But you should still check any attachment before opening it. We may have to make this message and any reply to it public if asked to under the Freedom of Information Act, Data Protection Act or for litigation. Email messages and attachments sent to or from any Environment Agency address may also be accessed by someone other than the sender or recipient, for business purposes. If we have sent you information and you wish to use it please read our terms and conditions which you can get by calling us on 08708 506 506. Find out more about the Environment Agency at www.environment-agency.gov.uk

Information in this message may be confidential and may be legally privileged. If you have received this message by mistake, please notify the sender immediately, delete it and do not copy it to anyone else.

We have checked this email and its attachments for viruses. But you should still check any attachment before opening it.
We may have to make this message and any reply to it public if asked to under the Freedom of Information Act, Data Protection Act or for litigation. Email messages and attachments sent to or from any Environment Agency address may also be accessed by someone other than the sender or recipient, for business purposes.

If we have sent you information and you wish to use it please read our terms and conditions which you can get by calling us on 08708 506 506. Find out more about the Environment Agency at www.environment-agency.gov.uk

Hello,

The best way to test this would be to either load files in Editor tabs and modify them, and/or just start typing in an Editor tab without a file association. The timer is set to 3 minutes by default, but you can adjust this in options. Wait 3 minutes and kill the Toad process via task manager and you will be prompted to recover files when you launch Toad again.

Hmm, ok, perhaps I don’t have the right understanding of how it actually works then.

If Toad crashes with open editor windows that have not had their contents manually saved to a file, can I get that data back? Is it only files that have been saved or opened in Toad that the recovery is available for? If so, it’s not very clear from the help file:

“Backup editor every n minutes
When selected, Toad will back up editor contents at the interval you have specified.”

If I haven’t got the wrong end of the stick, how do I restore the contents of my unsaved editor windows?

Doesn’t have to be a file, ANYTHING in the editor that hasn’t been
saved when Toad closes abnormally will be available on the file > Recover
documents dialog.

It will back up anything in the Editor, whether there is a file association or not. By Editor, I mean the contents (text) in the “Edit box” of the editor. It won’t restore any data in the lower sub-tabs.

Weird then that I’ve never had the popup message when going back into Toad!

Still, I will definitely use the menu option after the next crash, and I’ll see if that works! (could be a while now, unlike pre-9.6 versions! grins)

Make sure you have the ‘backup editor every X minutes’ option
enabled!

There is an option that controls it. Do you have it set? Also this is implied, but you need to have the Editor open for longer than the autosave interval and then experience a crash. The Editor must contain text.

Michael

What option? I’ve got the Backup editor option set to every 3 minutes - I can’t find any other option to set.

I usually have a minimum of 3 tabs open complete with text, with at least one of those tabs being opened from a file.

That’s the option.

At this point it’s best to test for yourself. Type some text, wait more than 3 minutes, kill Toad via task manager, restart Toad. You should be prompted to restore the Editor contents (text).

Michael

Ok, I did the following:

1. Opened Toad and logged into Schema1@DatabaseA
  2. Opened 1 editor window, single tab and typed something and ran a query against dual.
  3. Waited at least 5 mins (auto-backup set to every 3 mins).
  4. Used Task Manager to kill the Toad.
  5. Was prompted to save the editor, but End Task responded by saying Toad was unresponsive and did I want to kill it? I said yes.
  6. Once Toad was gone, I reopened it and logged back into Schema1@DatabaseA
  7. No popups or prompts appeared, so I clicked on the Recover Documents… menu option. Got a message box: No files found to recover.

I can see lots of .tmp files in C:\Documents and Settings\boneist\Application Data\Quest Software\Toad for Oracle\10.0\User Files which I assume are to do with the backups?

In step 4 did you use the kill mercifully or brutally option? Usually when you kill a task via task manager or process explorer you don’t get save prompts in Toad. Killing the process should be an immediate and abnormal event. If the editor is asking you to save contents then it is closing down normally.

The editor backup filenames start with a ~ if I recall correctly.

Michael

Right, there are temp file names generated for each open editor file.

They begin with ~eb (tilde, eb for “editor backup”)

The file ~EditorBackups.txt is a list of all the filenames

This stuff is cleaned up when Toad closes cleanly. When Toad starts, if it finds
those files, it prompts.

I’m not sure why you’re not seeing the prompt. Maybe your User Files
folder is not the one Toad is using, it sounds like they are out of sync. Your
very first email said you were running multiple Toad instances also. Or like
Mike said, it’s not the brutal kill.
image001.png

In step 4 I killed Toad from the Applications task.

Assuming you mean the killing brutally option to be killing it from the Processes tab, I reran the test and killed Toad from the Processes tab - no save prompt this time.

No popup on going back into Toad and “No files found to recover” via the menu option, still.

Example tmp file name in the directory I mentioned earlier: ~ebF5.tmp

Hmm, now that’s interesting.

I can see this line in the bottom of the ~EditorBackups.txt file (which has 748 rows in it, btw!):

“C:\Documents and Settings\boneist\Application Data\Quest Software\Toad for Oracle\10.0\User Files~eb475.tmp”,“blah blah blah”,“04/11/2009 16:23:38”,3

which is, presumably, the file linked to the stuff that I had in my editor (of which the first line was “blah blah blah”!) at the time when I brutally stabbed Toad to death in my 2nd test .

I can also see the file ~eb475.tmp is still present.

In the settings, I can see my Application data directory is set to:

C:\Documents and Settings\boneist\Application Data\Quest Software\Toad for Oracle\10.0\

but my Exception Logging is set to:

C:\Documents and Settings\boneist\Application Data\Quest Software\Toad for Oracle\9.7\

Is that likely to cause a problem? I’ve no idea why it picked the 9.7 version, other than possibly as a result of me saying yes to the “Do you want to keep your 9.7 settings?” question when I installed

I assume it’s nothing to do with my Temp File directory, which is set to:

C:\DOCUME~1\boneist\LOCALS~1\Temp\

scratches head

You don’t have a 2nd instance of Toad running do you? You won’t get prompted if you do. Your original post said there were multiple copies running.

Hmm, yes I do have another instance of Toad running.

Does it say anywhere that having multiple instances running means certain bits of functionality won’t work? I can’t see anything in the help files…

I suppose it’s too much to hope that prompting for editor recovery could be made to work with multiple instances of toad open?

The problem with that model is the product isn’t really designed that way. You have two applications trying to contend for the same set of resources. It used to be prevented years back, then it was allowed but with all kinds of warnings, then it was just opened up completely. Now we’re faced with the design decision of how to handle that. You have two Toad’s both using the same resources. It’s not the ideal mode of working. I’d leave that to simpler things, such as scheduled tasks launching Toad via command-line to run an Action, I certainly wouldn’t work with two running Toad’s throughout the day.