Issues when canceling queries - TDA 2.6 on Oracle

Not sure if anyone else has seen this behavior before or not, but it’s getting to the point where TDA isn’t a viable option for my department.

Basically, what happens is if we start executing a query, then figure out that, whoops, we forgot something, and try to cancel the query, one of two things will happen:

1. TDA will lock up completely, and we must force close from Task Manager.

2. TDA will cancel the query, but we get a dialog box that says “Connection to database lost and successfully reopened. Do you wish to execute the last command again?” - no matter which option we chose - Yes or No - the dialog box will not go away, and we must still force close TDA from the Task Manager.

We’ve been seeing this behavior since 2.1 and hoped it would go away in later releases; however as more and more people come online to using TDA, the issue is becoming more severe.

Any ideas or thoughts would be great. Please bear in mind that we do NOT have DBA access to the Oracle instance, so if it’s a config issue on that side, we’re hosed; but I don’t think it is as other tools (ie. SQL Tools) will cancel queries just fine without any problems.

What is the database type (Oracle, Sql Server, etc) and version you are using?

Are you cancelling before any rows are returned or after rows start showing up in the grid? It is easier to tell if you have the background processes window open.

How are you requesting the cancel? Using the red X from the background window, Cancel button on editor/query builder tool bar, or Stop all processes from the File menu?

What are the details of your environment? OS, RAM, etc.

Debbie

Database is Oracle; not sure what version but I believe 10i

We’ve done both, and had the same result. And I keep the Background Processes window open when running queries.

I’m requesting the cancel by clicking on the red X next to the task in the Background Processes window.

OS is Windows XP SP3, Intel Core 2 Duo 6400 @ 2.13Ghz and 2GB of RAM.

Debbie Peabody wrote:

What is the database type (Oracle, Sql Server, etc) and version you are using?

Are you cancelling before any rows are returned or after rows start showing up in the grid? It is easier to tell if you have the background processes window open.

How are you requesting the cancel? Using the red X from the background window, Cancel button on editor/query builder tool bar, or Stop all processes from the File menu?

What are the details of your environment? OS, RAM, etc.

Debbie

Let me do some testing and post my findings.

Debbie

I did a fair amount of testing. When using a Direct Connection to Oracle I found cancellation issues like you stated. IE: Hanging, lost conections, etc. Can you confirm you are using a Direct Connection Type.

When I changed to use an OCI Client connection I did not get these issues and all queries canceled promptly. So if you are using Direct Connect, swith to use an OCI connection.

If you are getting this behavior and have an OCI connection would it be possible do a recording of the issue and send to me directly? dpeabody@quest.com

Debbie

Could you tell me the difference between a direct connection and an OCI connection?

Direct Conection is a very simple type of connection that uses TCP/IP. This type of connecto works pretty good but since it does not use the Oracle Client it does not support Oracle specific implementations such as Orcle only data types and graceful cancellation. This type is better than ODBC which it is possbile you are using also.

If you are using a direct connection it will look like the attached screenshot. If you post your connection dialog properties I can tell the type.

Debbie

I have an OCI connection. Thanks for your explanation.

Can you change to Oracle client connection? You can use an instant client. There are instructions in the help file.

Debbie

This seems to have fixed the issue, though I’m curious as to why only TDA displayed this negative behavior in Direct Connection mode whereas other tools have not. Oh well :slight_smile:

Debbie Peabody wrote:

I did a fair amount of testing. When using a Direct Connection to Oracle I found cancellation issues like you stated. IE: Hanging, lost conections, etc. Can you confirm you are using a Direct Connection Type.

When I changed to use an OCI Client connection I did not get these issues and all queries canceled promptly. So if you are using Direct Connect, swith to use an OCI connection.

If you are getting this behavior and have an OCI connection would it be possible do a recording of the issue and send to me directly? dpeabody@quest.com

Debbie

I am glad the issue is resolved for you.

The Direct Connect mode issue is from a third party component we use and we are working with that company to resolve.

Debbie