Lost PWD's with vmware host upgrade

Toad 12.1

I’m running Toad on my MBP inside of a VMware Fusion windows host. I upgraded my VMware host software and that upgraded my windows VM. When I fired up Toad I geta bunch of messages telling me that I can’t share files and of course now all my login are gone and it seems all saved SQL’s and so on are gone too…

I’m guess I know what happened by upgrading my VM instance it changed something that Toad looks at to determine if these files were copied to another machine but the odd thing is that I was able to copy my settings from the 12.1 beta over to 12.1 GA and all is good. So my question is, is there a way for Toad to detect the difference between a VM upgrade and files that were coppied from another machine? Also why was I able copy settings from the 12.1 beta over to 12.1 GA and it did not seem to care?

Thanks,

Ed

Passwords are saved in “CONNECTIONPWDS.INI” file.

Encryption (on 12.x) depend on username. So same domain username should be enough to decrypt values.

There is one trick … maybe you need to import Toad settings (Utilities|Copy user settings).

if this all is OK then Toad has nothing with it or you really mess several Toad installations (what is in “%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\Quest Software\Toad for Oracle\SettingsLocations.ini” file?

Brg,

Damir Vadas

Just now I saw:

" Also why was I able copy settings from the 12.1 beta over to 12.1 GA and it did not seem to care?"

This is not a way to do that. use Utilities|Copy user settings option instead!

Damir,

What I meant when I said “copy settings” is that I did do it that way using Utilities|Copy user settings. I should of said that in the first plce.

In my SettingsLocation.ini file for 12 1 is this…

[TOAD 12.1]

AppData=C:\Users\Ed Klinger\AppData\Roaming\Quest Software\Toad for Oracle\12.1\

Path=C:\Program Files\Quest Software\Toad for Oracle 12.1\

Version=12.1.0.22

Edition=Toad for Oracle Xpert

That is the right path.

I do have 12.5 beta installed too but I have used 12.1 ga after I installed 12.5 beta and it worked fine. So I’m not sure what happened when I updated the VM but all is fine now that I was able to copy over using the copy user utility my 12.1 Beta settings. Maybe it had nothing to do with the VM upgrade but it was just odd that after the upgrade and firing up Toad 12.1 GA I got those messages. I started the 12.5 Beta and did not have any issues. So not sure what the real issue was.

Ed

Ed,

I mentioned SettingsLocation.ini file because in it there should be written all Toad version installations (if correctly installed) until now. Here is example of one of mine VmWare Toad installation file:

[TOAD 11.5]
AppData=C:\Users\DamirV\AppData\Roaming\Quest Software\Toad for Oracle\11.5
Path=C:\oracle\Quest Software\Toad for Oracle 11.5
Version=11.5.0.56

[TOAD 11.6 trial]
AppData=C:\Users\DamirV\AppData\Roaming\Quest Software\Toad for Oracle\11.6 trial
Path=C:\Program Files\Quest Software\Toad for Oracle 11.6 Trial
Version=11.6.0.43

[TOAD 12.1]
AppData=C:\Users\DamirV\AppData\Roaming\Quest Software\Toad for Oracle\12.1
Path=C:\oracle\Quest Software\Toad for Oracle 12.1
Version=12.1.0.22

[TOAD 12.5 beta]
AppData=C:\Users\DamirV\AppData\Roaming\Quest Software\Toad for Oracle\12.5 beta
Path=E:\Program FIles\Quest Software\Toad for Oracle 12.5 Beta
Version=12.5.0.2 beta

You are mentioning some upgrade and have only one entry-and this is strange … don’t you thing?. Or we have misunderstood answer on mine question about content of that file…

[:)]

Brg,

Damir Vadas