Model Paths

Hi,

When I open a model created by my colleague to Generate DDL script I find the path for the output file is my colleague’s path.
This suggests the path is stored with the model somewhere. TDM should use the path in my TDM settings.
Regards
Malcolm

I think it’s quite hard to tell, how would one know that the path is your colleague’s path and not a path you have manually selected?

Hi,
We are currently using the default paths in TDM. The generated script location is of the form C:\Documents and Settings<username>\My Documents\Toad Data Modeler\GeneratedScripts\generatedSQL.
If I generate a model I created I see my in the path.
If I generate a model my colleague created I see his .
While I appreciate I can browse to the path I want, I think TDM should pick up my settings for my generate.
Regards
Malcolm

Hi,

Let me explain why such behaviour.

In the Settings menu | Options | Paths | File with Generated Script, you set a default path for the generated script. This path will be used for all new models you will create until you change the location for particular model in the DDL Script Generation dialog | General tab | Location of SQL File.
Then the default location will be used only for new models. For particular model, the particular location will be used.

TDM 3 allows you to define different settings (different options for script generation, including the generated script location) for particular models. The settings is saved within the model. Please see the Save Settings button in the DDL Script Generation dialog. This behaviour has been required by many users.

So, this is the reason why you can see your colleague’s path in his model. If you like to change the location, you need to do it manually.

If you have any questions, please write me back. Thanks.

Have a nice day.

Vladka

Hi, We are currently using the default paths in TDM. The generated script location is of the form C:\Documents and Settings\My Documents\Toad Data Modeler\GeneratedScripts\generatedSQL. If I generate a model I created I see my in the path. If I generate a model my colleague created I see his .While I appreciate I can browse to the path I want, I think TDM should pick up my settings for my generate.

Let me suggest you and your colleague to agree with some location for the generated script for the model (Save Settings button + save the model then). The location will be saved within the model and there will be the same path for you and your colleague.

Regards,

Vladka

Thanks Vladka.
We intend to use common paths for TDM (we just haven’t got there yet!).

This thread was to suggest that TDM should not store these paths in the model at creation time as they may well change over the life of a model.
Alternatively some UI to change them could be added.

Regards
Malcolm

This thread was to suggest that TDM should not store these paths in the model at creation time as they may well change over the life of a model.

I think I should bring some more explanation here.

In TDM3, there is only one path that can be stored within a model - path to generated script.
No other path is stored in model.

You CAN change the default path with generated script OR leave the default path. - TDM3 allows you to set different location for generated script for particular model and also other options for script generation for the particular model. For this purpose, there is the Save Settings button in the DDL Script Generation dialog. During the life of the model, you can change the settings as many times as you need. All the settings will be always saved together with the model.
-> This is a feature for which many users called.

If you have any remarks, please write me back. Thanks very much.

Vladka