Naming Conventions Issue

Hi,

Hopefully this is not a duplicate as I did a search and didn’t find anything relevant to the issue I’m encountering.

I’m using Toad Data Modeler 3.4.16.6 and I’m trying to use the Naming Conventions feature to generate physical names from logical names. It seems that if I create a rule to replace a space (" “) with an underscore (”_") in the Character Replacement glossaries section that this rule gets applied prior to the the rules defined in the Word Replacement glossaries section. This means that I can’t replace words with abbreviations and also replace spaces with underscores. As a workaround, I tried doing the space replacement in the Word Replacement glossary but that rule is ignored. Oddly enough, a similar rule replacing the letter “S” with the letter “W” works fine. One other issue with the Word Replacement glossary is that it doesn’t seem to replace multible words. For example, I tried defining a rule to replace the words “SURROGATE KEY” with “SK” but the replacement wasn’t applied.

Please let me know if I’m missing something or if I might have make an error in how I’m using the feature.

Thanks,

-Dipin

Hello Dipin,

Thanks for your fantastic feedback on naming conventions. (In fact, it was the first feedback on NC we got. Thanks for it!)

Verifying the issues you raised, we found the following, let’s say, problems:

1. Character and Word Replacement do not work together. - CR # 67 900.
  2. Word Replacement doesn’t work for multiple words. - CR # 67 901.
  3. Word Replacement - in some cases, quotation marks are added, which may cause problems during SQL script generation. - CR # 67 902.

Our developers are dealing with these issues. As soon as I have any comments from them, I will let you know.

Thanks for your great co-operation once again.

Regards,

Vladka + TDM Team

Hi there - Has this issues been resolved yet. I have having the same problem and it is extremely frustrating. I am using version 4.1.

Hi,

please see example in Help file, section Model | Physical Data Model | Naming Convntions, topic Naming Converntion Properties. It shows rules and priorities.

CR 67900 = Naming conventions were improved and valid/invalid characters were introduced. If space should be replaced then it should be defined as invalid char and not character replacement. Current status is "no modification required".
CR 67901 = Word replacement is available for single words.
CR 67902 = Fixed. There should be no problem with quotation marks and you should be able to specify word replacement as: AK="Alternate Key".

See attached screenshots.

Regards,

Vaclav

Hi,

please see example in Help file, section Model | Physical Data Model | Naming Convntions, topic Naming Converntion Properties. It shows rules and priorities.

CR 67900 = Naming conventions were improved and valid/invalid characters were introduced. If space should be replaced then it should be defined as invalid char and not character replacement. Current status is “no modification required”.
CR 67902 = Fixed. There should be no problem with quotation marks and you should be able to specify word replacement as: AK=“Alternate Key”.

Regards,

Vaclav
nc3.png

Hi,

CR 67900 = Naming conventions were improved and valid/invalid characters were introduced. If space should be replaced then it should be defined as invalid char and not character replacement. Current status is "no modification required".
CR 67902 = Fixed. There should be no problem with quotation marks and you should be able to specify word replacement as: AK="Alternate Key".

Regards,

Vaclav
nc2.png