Navigator in Editor in TOAD for Oracle Free Edition doesn't work

Hi,

I’m using the TOAD for Oracle Free Edition version 12 64bits at home while at work I’m using an older paid-for edition.

In the v12 Free Edition, in the editor the Navigator is broken: under the name of the package it displays “Declarations” and then a red cross and “Unknown”. The same is displayed under “Local Subprograms”.

Is this a known limitation of the Free Edition?

Thanks,

Colin

Hey Colin,

Mine’s the same way, which I just assumed was a limitation. However, the PDF download from: www.toadworld.com/…/539.toad-for-oracle-freeware-vs-commercial.aspx doesn’t explicitly state so (unless it falls under the purview of “Graphically represent objects”?), and the link in that document appears to be a zero-length file.

I do miss the navigator for my 2000+ line package, but free (as in beer) is a good thing!

Rich

It is a limitation and should say "Available in commercial release" as the caption instead of unknown.

On 09/26/2013 03:29 PM, Rich J. wrote:

RE: Navigator in Editor in TOAD for Oracle Free Edition doesn't work

Reply by Rich J.
Hey Colin,

Mine's the same way, which I just assumed was a limitation. However, the PDF download from: www.toadworld.com/.../539.toad-for-oracle-freeware-vs-commercial.aspx
doesn't explicitly state so (unless it falls under the purview of "Graphically represent objects"?), and the link in that document appears to be a zero-length file.

I do miss the navigator for my 2000+ line package, but free (as in beer) is a good thing!

Rich

To reply, please reply-all to this email.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Or
Unsubscribe from Toad for Oracle - General
notifications altogether.

Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

OK, thanks for that. Looks like it’s time to try SQL Developer (again).

SQueaL-D? Ugh! Only if I’m on Linux and I have more PL/SQL than I’d like to do with Nedit and SQL*Plus. I’ll save everyone from the rehash all my cons of that tool again… :slight_smile:

Good luck!

Rich

That’s why I said “again” :slight_smile: But with many nested procedures and functions I’d really like some navigation tool. Are there any other editors which can manage?

The easiest solution is for us to give you the navigator in the next freeware release in the spring. Freeware has largely been brought to you by the R&D team and the engineers mostly use personal discretion as they pepper their windows with teaserware so you can see enough of the functionality to see what you’re missing but not too much to make buying the product irrelevant. Code navigation doesn’t seem worth throttling.