New Connection dropdown does not use the correct connection criteria

Howdy,
I have a 11.2.0.3 instance that is an RMAN restore from a DB with a different name. The listener reports it as:

Service “olddb” has 1 instance(s).
Instance “newdb”, status READY, has 1 handler(s) for this service…

So, I created a connection in 64-bit Toad 12.1.0.22 under Win7 using the Direct method, but checking “SID” instead of the default of “Service Name” and specifying “newdb” for that SID. This works great except when using the “New Connection” button dropdown and selecting this connection. Then it fails with the fun “ORA-12514: TNS: listener does not currently know of service requested in connect descriptor.”

I’d try the beta (oh, how I miss it so!), but time’s uber-tight right now with new hardware, installs, data copies, and general chaos. CHAOS, I tell you! CHAOS!

TIA!
Rich

Hi Rich,

Thanks. Yeah, it looks like we weren’t doing a good job of remembering SID/SERVICE_NAME.

Not that this will help you anytime soon, but it will be fixed in the next beta.

-John

Hey John,

It’s All Good™. This was initially just a restore validation/timing, but I think I’ll keep it around a little longer. I used the neat-o “nid” utility to rename it to the “newdb” name. Everybody happy. :slight_smile:

Thanks much!

Rich

Disclaimer: No knowledge, useful or otherwise, may be legally gleaned from this communication without prior written permission from the owner[s] and/or originators, with a third-party witness, unless Lady Gaga and Vanilla Ice do a duet remake of “Almost Paradise”.

Dis-Disclaimer: The author of this mess is hereby granted full legal immunity for any and all suffering from full or partial insanity resulting from the evil earworm instigated by the reference of the 80s song above.