No default DB2 client

Thanks so much for this information Eric!

Can someone from Dell or toad verify that the reason you need to use the runtime client is that toad uses the database catalog which are part of this client?

Thanks Robert

I was able to fix my issue. Runtime client does contain the database catalog.

You need to install the db2 runtime client for TOAD to work.

Here are some good instructions.

https://support.quest.com/kb/128114

Can anyone paste the actual instructions. The Dell and Toad ppl really crazy that they don’t even share the knowledge base in public and say that Maintenance period expired.

Here you go:)

• Title

Toad for DB2 6.0 and newer, DB2 client requirements. Error: “Toad did not find a default DB2 client”

• Description

On launch of Toad for DB2, the error “Toad did not find a default DB2 client” is given. Toad will continue to open after clicking OK to this message, but there may be further issues connecting to the database.

(Considering Toad Data Point can connect to DB2 databases, this would also be the same scenario for Toad Data Point 3.6 and higher as well.)

• Cause

This applies to version 6.0 and future releases of Toad for DB2. Previous Toad versions are not affected.

Beginning in version 6.0, Toad for DB2 will no longer include or be shipped with an IBM DB2 Client.

Users will need to install an IBM DB2 Client separately, and this may need to be set as “default” within Toad (Options | Database | DB2 ).

(This applies to version 3.6 and future releases of Toad Data Point, as well.)

• Resolution

1. Go to the link below. Download and install an IBM DB2 client:

www-01.ibm.com/…/docview.wss

Download the package noted as:

“IBM Data Server Runtime Client” (2nd item)

Note: If there are any issues with the download or install of the client itself, please follow up with IBM DB2 Support for further assistance with the client.

System Requirements notes support for the following…

Toad requires that a DB2 Client version 9.7.6 through 10.5.be installed as default.
    These DB2 Client versions were tested: 9.7.6, 9.7.9 ,10.1.0, 10.1.2, 10.1.3, 10.5.0, 10.5.2, and 10.5.3

Toad for DB2 6.0 Release notes:
    dev.toadfordb2.com/…/ToadDB2RN.htm

1. Set the default DB2 client in Toad Options:

Once the client is installed locally to Toad, launch Toad. If the message “Did not find a default driver” is still encountered, click OK and in Toad, go to Options | Database | DB2 | General | and set the default DB2 client. The drop down may display previous Toad clients, but do not select these as the default, as this will not be saved and applied.

Only the full IBM DB2 client can be used as default. If you have multiple clients installed, then you will need to specify one in the Toad Options. Once this is set, Toad will need to restart. On the next launch, there should be no prompt regarding default client and Toad should be able to connect to the databases as usual.

1. If multiple IBM DB2 Clients are installed in your PC, please set one as ‘Default’ by going to the Windows Start Menu | All Programs | choose the IBM DB2 client you want to set as ‘Default’ (do not use clients that came from old Toad versions) | and then use the “Default DB2 and Database Client Interface Selection wizard” to set that particular IBM DB2 Client as Default.
  • Internal Notes

Beta release July 2014. Further work with this is still being done by development. Please check ToadWorld for more updated info about Beta and requirements.

Read the following article for a step-by-step guide how to instal Toad for DB2 and IBM Data Server Driver (including the download location for the IBM Db2 client).

http://www.toadworld.com/products/toad-for-ibm-db2/b/weblog/archive/2017/07/25/install-toad-for-db2-version-6-3-using-ibm-data-server-driver

Toad+Sql Optimizer 7.0 = headache guaranteed.
I successfully tried Toad for DB2 Trial 6.2 + Sql Optimizer end everything was easy.

With 7.0 we can see many warns and messages.
Even installation of full db2 client v10.5fp3_ntx64_rtcl_EN.exe get me "corruppted installation of client"
Installation of v11.1.4fp4_ntx64_dsdriver_EN.exe and Toad works but optimizer not.

Where old Dell query optimizer keeps setings? I uninstalled it but settings are visible in new query optimizer.

v11.1.4fp4_ntx64_dsdriver_EN.exe is a IBM Data Server Driver Package and it is for "
This package contains drivers and libraries for various programming language environments.".
SQL Optimizer does not support this type client. Please install IBM Data Server Client (This is the all in one client package and includes all the client tools and libraries available.).

It doesn't help. After installation od ibm_data_server_client_winx64_v11.1.zip and reinstallation of Toad I have got these messages:

(1) EHDEV192/10.245.128.155:50000 (coreadm) : Toad discovered IBM Data Server Driver installation is corrupted.
DSD installer may need to be run with Administrator permissions.

No default 64 bit Db2 cleint was found.

Content of page
https://support.quest.com/toad-for-db2/kb/185655/common-db2-connection-issues- no permissions is not available .

TOAD fails but SQL optimizer is a bit better - no messages but on connection I see "Failed to connect to database.
Fatal error: Invalid handle in TICustomOdbcDatabase.Check"

Basically with previous packages results was better and I had only linkage error on oe library db2app.dll

Could you just desciber what exacly version of db2app.dll is necessary ?

Hello Krashan,

In case you are using Trial version, you are eligible fora Quest Support. Please create a service request (https://support.quest.com/toad-for-db2/7.0) and member of the support team will contact you and help you with your issues.

Regards
Ondrej