No default DB2 client

I have installed Toad 6 freeware for WIN32 but not able to proceed with setting up connections. It asks for a client on application start. Is there a separate windows installer which is required or should there be a DB2 JAR (or a similar driver) in the installation directory ?

Toad DB2 v6.0 requires that you have a default DB2 client installed so it can use it.

I suggest you go to the below link to download and install a DB2 client.

(Toad DB2 v6.0 supports a DB2 client v9.7.6 or greater)

www-01.ibm.com/…/downloads.html

Please, write detailed path how to install Default DB2 client. Page linked above move to “DB2 Express-C” or “DB2 10.5 client and driver packages” contains “IBM Data Server”.

Is it really required to install eg DB2 Express-C? I have Toad 5.1 or 5.6 already installed.

So, maybe is possible to connect/point one of to these DB2 clients.

I have the same problem, and after installing a DB2 client, the problem is not solved.

How does TOAD for DB2 look for a client?

Toad searches the registry for a default IBM DB2 client with a version equal or greater than 9.7.6.

What do you see when you open a command window and enter “db2level”?

Hi,

db2level show me the “DB2 v10.5.0.420” version but TOAD does’nt find it…

What can i do?

I need to know some things about your environment.

What do you see when you start Toad for DB2? What version of Toad for DB2 are you using?

Hi.I am also facing the same issue and below is the product detail

Toad for IBM DB2 6.1 Beta program has started!

A new Beta build 6.1.0.634 was released on Mar-4-2015.

I checked the exact version from about section :

Hi akgoyal,

I’m a little confused by your last 2 posts. Are you having the same problem with the 6.1 beta and the 6.0 production release?

I’ve never seen Toad not find a default DB2 client version 9.7.6 or greater. Will you please tell me what happens when you start Toad?

Adam

Hello I have the same problem, I believe below are all the details, happy to provide more as required:

I had Toad for windows v5.1 and then upgraded in the past to v5.6 which I have used for the past ~2 years. Just installed v6.0 and under Options > Database > DB2 > General it states “No default DB2 client, no eligible clients”.

If I open v5.6 and “Open the IBM DB2 command window” and run db2level I get the following response:

DB21085I This instance or install (instance name, where applicable: “TOADC56”)

uses “64” bits and DB2 code release “SQL10013” with level identifier

“0204010E”.

Informational tokens are “DB2 v10.1.300.533”, “s130918”, “IP23511”, and Fix

Please may someone advise what I can do to associate my existing db2 client with the new v of Toad? I have no idea what to do next and do not understand why I do not seem to have the option of searching for the existing client.

Pack “3”.

Product is installed at “C:\PROGRA~2\QUESTS~1\TOADFO~1.6\SQLLIB” with DB2 Copy

Name “ToadC56”.

Any ideas anyone?

The old Toad installed DB2 clients are not eligible to become default clients. You will need to ensure a true default DB2 client exists on your machine. If you have a default DB2, it should be listed in the registry at the registry key like: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\IBM\DB2\InstalledCopies

Please make sure the default DB2 is v9.7.6 or greater as that is what Toad requires.

Thank you for your help, Jeff. I installed the db2 client v10.5 FixPack 5 from the following link and then Toad v6 saw the client when I restarted the application, so it works fine now.

www-304.ibm.com/…/docview.wss

Hi there,

I am also getting the message 'Toad did not find a supported default DB2 client…

I am using DB2 Express-C 10.5.5 (64 bit) & Toad for DB2 (Freeware) - 6.1.0.125

Thanks.

Hello,

I am running into this issue as well after upgrading my version of db2 client.

TOAD for DB2 Version: 6.1.0.134

Current version of DB2 Client: 10.5.7

Old version of DB2 Client: 10.1.2

I know IBM changed the instance name from DB2COPY1 to IBMDBCL1. Would that be causing the issue?

I have changed the default instance of DB2 client via the db2swtch.exe file.

Attached is my reg edit entries which seem to be normal.

regedit.png

There seems to be no list in the drop down menu for default db2 client in toad (see screen shot)

ToadOptions.png

Any ideas? I am really lost and it sucks that TOAD does not work anymore.

Thanks!

Robert

Hello,

I just upgraded to Toad for DB2 6.2.0.292. My DB2 Client was at DB2 V10.1 FP 5. I downloaded DB2 V10.5 FP 7 Runtime Client for Windows 64. (www-933.ibm.com/…/selectFix)

Before I started the installation of the DB2 Client I made sure I shutdown Toad. I then started the Installation of DB2. After the install completed I then ran db2iupgrade per IBM Documentation. (www.ibm.com/…/t0023854.html))

I then started Toad and checked to see which version of DB2 it was using. I went to Tools > Options> Database>DB2. In the DB2 Client field it shows (version 10.5.700 required). Then in the drop down I can see both of my DB2 versions, 10.1 and 10.5.

I am not having any issues with Toad or DB2 nor did I lose any of my cataloged databases.

Thanks,

Eric Sheridan

Hi,

I think for now I will stick to IBM Data Studio.

Cheers,

Gagan

I know that Dell suggestions install IBM Data Server Runtime Client via this page:

support.quest.com/…/128114

Does any know what the difference is between ‘IBM Data Server Driver Package (DS Driver)’ and ‘IBM Data Server Runtime Client’? I am wondering what functionally is different between these two clients. And why Dell suggests the Runtime Client.

Thanks!

Robert

From IBM Documentation: “The IBM Data Server Driver Package is a lightweight deployment solution that provides runtime support for applications without the need to install the Data Server Runtime Client or Data Server Client. This driver has a small footprint and is designed to be redistributed by independent software vendors (ISVs) and to be used for application distribution in mass deployment scenarios that are typical of large enterprises.” (http://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSEPGG_10.5.0/com.ibm.swg.im.dbclient.install.doc/doc/c0022612.html?lang=en)

Also: “The IBM Data Server Driver Package software is not part of the IBM Data Server Client or IBM Data Server Runtime Client software. The IBM Data Server Driver Package software is different, and it has its own installation images. Use the appropriate installer package.” (http://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSEPGG_10.5.0/com.ibm.swg.im.dbclient.install.doc/doc/t0007315.html)

The Client products have a DB2 Instance. The Instance is mostly used for installation purposes. I believe it also contains the database catalog that Toad uses. That is why the Runtime Client is needed.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Eric Sheridan