Object palette and version control

Hello,

I’m using Toad version 12.1.0.22 I’m trying to use version control software with it. I have followed the steps to set up version control (using Git) and am able to open the version control software and see files checked in etc.

However, I am unable to check procedures or anything like that into version control.

According to this guide,

http://dev.toadforsqlserver.com/webhelp/Content/Version_Control/Manage_Version_Control_for_Scripts.htm

I should be able to right click on an object in the “Object Explorer” and add it to version control. However, I don’t seem to have the same object explorer as mentioned in the knowledge article. I have something called an “Object Palette” where the only types of objects are Tables, Views and Synonyms and there is no option to add to version control when right clicking on any of the objects listed.

Am I missing something? Or has Toad recently removed the Object Explorer along with its functionality?

That document is for Toad for SQL Server, not Toad for Oracle.

Hello,

In Toad for Oracle, I think you would do this in the Schema Browser. The blog you referenced is for Toad for SQL Server, which has a different feature set
to Toad for Oracle. If you use Team Coding, you can checkin/checkout from the schema browser. The Team Coding menu will be enabled when the objects are controlled. There are a number of blogs and papers on ToadWorld about setting up and using Team Coding.

If you are using legacy file based version control, you can checkin/checkout the objects by opening the source files in the editor. The Team Coding toolbar
will be enabled to allow you to checkout/checkin the files.

You can also check out and open the files from the VCS Browser. It you are already able to login to Git, then you are setup to do this.

Stephen

From: the_new_mr [mailto:bounce-the_new_mr@toadworld.com]

Sent: Friday, June 20, 2014 7:46 AM

To: toadoracle@toadworld.com

Subject: [Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum] Object palette and version control

Object palette and version control

Thread created by the_new_mr

Hello,

I’m using Toad version 12.1.0.22 I’m trying to use version control software with it. I have followed the steps to set up version control (using Git) and am able to open the version control software and see files checked in etc.

However, I am unable to check procedures or anything like that into version control.

According to this guide,

http://dev.toadforsqlserver.com/webhelp/Content/Version_Control/Manage_Version_Control_for_Scripts.htm

I should be able to right click on an object in the “Object Explorer” and add it to version control. However, I don’t seem to have the same object explorer as mentioned in the knowledge article.
I have something called an “Object Palette” where the only types of objects are Tables, Views and Synonyms and there is no option to add to version control when right clicking on any of the objects listed.

Am I missing something? Or has Toad recently removed the Object Explorer along with its functionality?

To reply, please reply-all to this email.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Or
Unsubscribe from Toad for Oracle - General
notifications altogether.

Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

Oh sorry. I didn’t realise it was for Toad for SQL server. My bad.

I guess that for now, the best way to handle it is to check out a file from Git or just open the file from the hard drive from within Toad and then Git will detect any changes made to the file from there.

I was kind of hoping to find a way to automatically export and track all changes in the DB in the version control but it seems that this can’t be done unfortunately.

I’ll look into Team Coding a little as it may help.

Thanks for your quick and helpful replies.

It sounds like Team Coding may be able to do what you need. I you set up a Code Collection to control your database objects, you can create a new revisions
of your database objects in Git. Team Coding also automatically checks out/ in your objects from the local Git repository.

From: the_new_mr [mailto:bounce-the_new_mr@toadworld.com]

Sent: Friday, June 20, 2014 12:14 PM

To: toadoracle@toadworld.com

Subject: RE: [Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum] Object palette and version control

RE: Object palette and version control

Reply by the_new_mr

Oh sorry. I didn’t realise it was for Toad for SQL server. My bad.

I guess that for now, the best way to handle it is to check out a file from Git or just open the file from the hard drive from within Toad and then Git will detect any changes made to the file
from there.

I was kind of hoping to find a way to automatically export and track all changes in the DB in the version control but it seems that this can’t be done unfortunately.

Thanks for your quick and helpful replies.

To reply, please reply-all to this email.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Or
Unsubscribe from Toad for Oracle - General
notifications altogether.

Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.