Open the Describe window without describing anything

Hello:

Currently the Describe window can be opened if I hit F4 after I select some identifier in the editor. If the object is not found Toad displays: Object *** not found. This is all fine, but is there a shortcut to open the Describe window without actually trying to describe a valid database object? The reason for this is that I saved a lot of lists in the describe area (I grouped objects by business area), and often what I want to do is view the objects saved in one or two specific lists. It would be nice if I could open a list directly…

Thanks

in SQL edito (or sqlplus)

desc <object_name>

will do the job.

Brg

Damir

There isn’t a way to do that, but it sounds like a nice enhancement to the Quick Describe dialog (CTRL+D)

Sent: Monday, March 10, 2014 12:47 PM

To: toadoracle@toadworld.com

Subject: [Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum] Open the Describe window without describing anything

Open the Describe window without describing anything

Thread created by costab

Hello:

Currently the Describe window can be opened if I hit F4 after I select some identifier in the editor. If the object is not found Toad displays: Object *** not found. This is all fine, but is there a shortcut to open the Describe window without actually trying
to describe a valid database object? The reason for this is that I saved a lot of lists in the describe area (I grouped objects by business area), and often what I want to do is view the objects saved in one or two specific lists. It would be nice if I could
open a list directly…

Thanks

To reply, please reply-all to this email.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Or
Unsubscribe from Toad for Oracle - General
notifications altogether.

Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

damir: I don’t want to type anything. I only want to make the Describe Objects window visible by hitting a shortcut. I know there are ways of bringing that window up: like you mentioned is one way, another way would be to select an object in the Object browser and hit F4, typing a valid object identifier and then hitting F4. Again, after I log in, Toad opens the editor window by default. I want a shortcut that I can hit without typing anything to open the Describe Objects window so I can open one of my lists. I guess I could add an object with an one letter name, type that letter, select it and hit F4.

costab: Sorry after two reading still didn't get your need. Now I see

:slight_smile:

I want a shortcut that I can hit without typing anything to open the Describe Objects window so I can open one of my lists.
I'm still not following you ... sorry...

damir:

I am lazy :slight_smile: I just want to press a shortcut to bring the describe objects window.

The Describe Objects dialog allows you to save all the objects currently stored in the Describe Objects dialog in lists that you can open later.

I have created these lists of objects that are related to business areas. Today, I am focusing my work on a specific business area. After I opened Toad, the next thing I wanted to do was to open all the db objects that apply to this business area, in other words I wanted to open the Describe Objects window and then the list specific for this business area.

The more I think of it, it would be nice if toad allows you to have a “business area” object browser of the database objects, where you view objects that are pertinent to a specific business area.

I know I can sort of do this using the DataModeler and create database E/R diagrams that contain specific tables. That’s one way to do it (you might not be able to add procedures or packages to a diagram though). Another way was via the describe objects dialog.

I hope this makes things clearer.

The more I think of it, it would be nice if toad allows you to have a "business area" object browser of the database objects, where you view objects that are pertinent to a specific business area.

Take a look at the project manager.

OK i see .. not possible in this moment

The more I think of it, it would be nice if toad allows you to have a "business area" object browser of the database objects, where you view objects the pertinent to a specific business area.

Maybe this might help.

Menu View|Project Manager

and then add your objects as you like...

John & Damir: Thank you for the suggestion. Yes, Project Manager seems to do what I want.

Video on using the Project Manager in Toad:

http://www.toadworld.com/products/toad-for-oracle/m/media-library/872.aspx

Sent: March 10, 2014 3:04 PM

To: toadoracle@toadworld.com

Subject: RE: [Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum] Open the Describe window without describing anything

RE: Open the Describe window without describing anything

Reply by John Dorlon

The more I think of it, it would be nice if toad allows you to have a "business area" object browser of the database objects, where you view objects that are pertinent to a specific business
area.

Take a look at the project manager.

To reply, please reply-all to this email.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Or
Unsubscribe from Toad for Oracle - General
notifications altogether.

Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

@John … you were quicker!

:slight_smile:

Costab: In the next beta, the “Quick Describe” dialog (default shortcut is CTRL+D), will now have an “open file” toolbar button that will take you straight to your saved lists of objects to describe.