Oracle connection error.

Hi. I just installed 2.7 as a side-by-side on a new laptop (I installed the 2.5.1, then 2.7). I imported my connections, which use the Oracle Client 10g_home. I get the following when I try to connect:

System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException
Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection.
Parameter name: index
Stack Trace:
at System.Collections.ArrayList.get_Item(Int32 index)
at System.Collections.Specialized.StringCollection.get_Item(Int32 index)
at Quest.Toad.Oracle.OracleToadConnection.get_ServerDescription()
at Quest.Toad.Db.Connection.Connect(Boolean notify)
at Quest.Toad.Db.Provider.BackgroundConnector.CreateBackgroundConnection()

Thanks for your help.

Susan

Perhaps the importing of the file got corrupted?

I would rename the connections.xml file and start over. If you click on the About box| Application Data Dir you will see the file. Close down TDA before renaming as it is written on shut down.

After renaming the old file, can you define a single new connection manually?

Debbie

Thanks, Debbie. That didn’t help. I tried setting it up as an Instant Client and got the same error.

Susan

Can you send me your connections.xml and your tnsnames.ora file? I need to see if there is some naming convention used that we haven’t tested for.

Debbie

Hi, Debbie. Sorry for the delay in responding. Work happened. =)

Anyway, I decided to start over from scratch and uninstalled all versions of TDA, then reinstalled 2.7. Apparently, the uninstall does not remove the files in the Documents and Settings, because, when I started TDA, the manual connection I created yesterday was there, and, connected! So, I created a connection like it, and that worked. So, it looks like I’m good to go.

Is there anything in the works for future releases to provide a TDA-specific uninstall? It would be nice to have something that was more thorough than the Windows Remove Program feature. Just a thought.

One other question: Is there a way to tell when an upgrade is a side-by-side, or when an uninstall is required? I couldn’t really tell from the information provided in the installation guide or release notes.

Anyway, thanks, again, for all your help. I forget how indispensible TDA is to my work, until I don’t have it!

Susan

I didn’t follow through on Debbie’s last request in her effort to help, because her first response (that the file might be corrupted) gave me the idea to uninstall/reinstall, which worked. So, while her suggestion in of itself didn’t solve the problem, I did consider it helpful.

Glad to hear you are up and connecting.

On any install we have a migrate path that detects prior app settings and copies them over for you, if you choose to do that.

I’ll assume you installed TDA for the Toad for Oracle bundle? That installer does do an uninstall as a separate option of the install. If you are using the TDA only installer, it will automatically uninstall any prior versions of the same product version without going to the Add Remove.

In general, all major and minor versions are side-by-side installs. IE: 2.6 and 2.7 are side by side. 2.6.2 uninstalls 2.6 and installs into the same location.

Debbie

Thanks, Debbie. I use the TDA-only installer and it’s never uninstalled, or offered to uninstall a prior version, probably because I’ve always installed to an alternate folder than the Program File default. This time I used the default, so I’ll be able to see, on the next upgrade, if it gives the option somewhere.

Thanks!
Susan