New Connection Crash

Hey all…

On creating a new Oracle connection:

System.ArgumentException
Format of the initialization string does not conform to specification starting at index 37.
Stack Trace:
at System.Data.Common.DbConnectionOptions.GetKeyValuePair(String connectionString, Int32 currentPosition, StringBuilder buffer, Boolean useOdbcRules, String& keyname, String& keyvalue)
at System.Data.Common.DbConnectionOptions.ParseInternal(Hashtable parsetable, String connectionString, Boolean buildChain, Hashtable synonyms, Boolean firstKey)
at System.Data.Common.DbConnectionOptions…ctor(String connectionString, Hashtable synonyms, Boolean useOdbcRules)
at System.Data.Common.DbConnectionStringBuilder.set_ConnectionString(String value)
at Devart.Data.Oracle.OracleConnectionStringBuilder…ctor(String connectionString)
at Devart.Data.Oracle.OracleConnection.a(String A_0, Object A_1)
at Devart.Data.Oracle.OracleConnection.set_Home(String value)
at Quest.Toad.Oracle.OracleToadConnection.CreateConnection()
at Quest.Toad.Db.Connection.AllocConnection()
at Quest.Toad.Db.Connection.Connect(Boolean notify)
at Quest.Toad.Db.Provider.BackgroundConnector.CreateBackgroundConnection()

I am not sure if this is related, but I am having a similar issue in the commerical version of TDP 3.6. On one of my machines when I attempt to connect to an Oracle database TDP crashes. It doesn’t happen on all of them. I have an open SR on this issue 2605254.

Hello! I logged this issue within QAT-4013

I need more info on this. Are you using an OCI client or Direct Connect or ODBC? If OCI client, is it the full client or instant client? Is it 32-bit or 64? Can you also post a screenshot?

I using Oracle client, full, 32bit. I also have OracleXE installed on my machine, and this may have something to do with it… not sure.

I have had problems with multiple Oracle clients installed with Toad on prior versions of Toad (2.7, not sure if it is still a problem). Even after removing the Oracle install and only installing one it would not work as Oracle does not completely uninstall. Our IT guy had to do some research on the internet to completely remove all Oracel intallations and then installed just one client and everything worked great.

I concur with Greg. Multi clients and partial old clients seem to trip the Oracle client up. You need to get someone to clean this up for you that is confident on how to do this. The areas to get clean are:

1. All unnecessary Client files on disk.

2. All unnecessary registry entries

3. All unnecessary paths in the path environmental variable.

When I have a problem like this I generally let oracle uninstall all clients it knows about, then clean each of the three areas manually and then do an install of the full admin client. That installer is more robust than instant client and dev versions.

TDP_OWL, did you get a chance to clean up your Oracle client install and retry the connection? If needed you could keep your Oracle XE and use the instant client files that go with it. For now I am going to close QAT-4013 as I cannot reproduce this issue. Let me know if you need more assistance.