PDF Model

Hello TDM community,

I can export my model to a graphical file, works fine so far. I can export to BMP, JPEG or PNG format. But I would like to have another option to export it to a PDF document. Is that possible already ?

IKrischer

Message was edited by: Ilja

Hello Ilja,

Thanks for your question. Unfortunately, export of ERD to PDF is not available now. However, we want to add this feature in some of future TDM versions (CR 35 320)

Thanks for your patience.

Regards,

Vladka + TDM Team

no problem on that, I can wait till the function is there. I have another issue, I cannot change the size of an entity, when they got a self reference. Normally when I go to a corner of an entity, I get the arrow symbol to change the size. But when I add a self refernce, thats not possible anymore. Removing the self reference again will it make possible again. Any help about that ?

IKrischer

Hi Ilja,

Click the entity with the self-relationship - both will be selected.
Press SHIFT and click the relationship. - Only the entity remains selected and now you can resize it.

OR
Click the Objects menu and disable the Select Links Automatically option.
Click the entity then.

If you have more questions, please write me back. Thanks.

Regards,

Vladka

I am sure I will have more questions One is I have problemes to move the grahpical relationship lines to the correct position of an entity (left, right, top, button). For example I have a relationship line on the right side of an entity. Now I want to move it to the buttom of the entity, I can do this by moving the entity object around, but have problems when I try to do the same by moving the relationship line.

IKrischer

Hi Ilja,

You can either move the entity OR you can add a break point on the line (press CTRL and click the line) and move the break point where you need.

Regards,

Vladka

Hello Vladka,

moving the object to move the relationship would make no sense to me. The object is already at the correct place. What I want is an easy way to manage the relationship lines without moving the objects. the break points sounds better to me, but what I really want is to be able to move the end of a relationship line without adding anything. I dont want to add a break point, then move the breakpoint so the line is not on top of the entity anymore, but the button. Rather I would like to be able to move the end of the lines like breakpoints.

I have another issue with the attribute properties. when you want to select another attribute, you click on the drop down menu and all attribues of that entity are listed. but the order is alphabetical. It makes more sense to me when I have the same attribute order as I have in the entity. Maybe thats the same reason, that the previous and next button is not working correct in my version. besides the application error I get, it is not moving step by step. When adding a Description to an attribute, I need to apply first before I can add a descrption to another attribute. What I would like to have is a quick way to add the descriptions to all attributes in an entity.

IKrischer

Message was edited by: Ilja

Hello Ilja,

Let me reply.
It is not possible to move the anchor points. The default behavior is that relationships connect the closest sides of entity boxes. If you want to change it, you will have to either change position of the object (so the distance is recalculated) or use the break points, as I’ve written.

Order of attributes in the Object Navigator box in the Attribute Properties dialog - Yes, the order is alphabeticall per request of most users. We think it is more user friendly - it’s easier to find particular attribute in a long list. The Next and Previous buttons work accordingly - you switch among attributes in the alphabetical order. It works fine for me. Do you have any problems with it?

Adding a Description/Comment to attribute: This is what I do:

1. Edit an attribute, click the Description/Comment tab, type description.
  2. Confirm Apply and click Next.
  • TDM opens property dialog of another attribute on tab Description/Comment.
    I can perform it very quickly and without problems.

At the moment, it is the quickest possible way.

Hope this info will help.

Regards,

Vladka + TDM Team

Hello Vladka,

actually I dont know any data design where you sort the attributes of an entity alphabetically. Attributes like Addressline, Zipcode, City, Country build a logical order not by the name, but by the content. If you start to add comments on all those attributes one by one, I would prefer that logical order I created in the entity, specially when I have a long list and would like to use the next button. If you want to find a specific attribute, maybe you want to sort it alphabetically, but in most cases i think the logical order is better and faster. For example if I double click the first attribute in my entity and the attribute property window pops up, then I cannot click next only previous cause it is alphabetically the last attribute. Opening the first attribute and getting the last, well thats a bit confusing…Maybe you could add another option where you can chose between both, the logical and the alphabeticall order. And why do I have to hit apply all the times before I can get the next attribute. It is not possible to add all coments first and then apply it all together ?

And I am getting an error when hitting the next/previous button, not all the times: “List index out of bounds (12).” Also the swicht is very slow, but maybe thats a problem on my computer and not a general one.

IKrsicher

Hello Ilja,

Thanks for your opinion. We will further discuss it in our team.
Unfortunately, at the moment I can only recommend you to open the Entity Property form, Attributes tab. Edit the first attribute and then do not click Next on the Attribute dialog but just have a look which attribute is the second one in the entity and select this attribute from the Object Navigator box. As they are listed alphabetically there, you will find it quite quickly.
I’m afraid this is all I can advise you now.

Regarding the Apply button, I do recommend to click it after the change in one dialog before you move to another dialog (another attribute) - to save the changes you made.

Getting the error: We haven’t encountered it yet, however, will do some tests to try to simulate it. Thanks.

Regards,

Vladka + TDM Team

please, Please, PLEASE enhance Data Modeler to allow manual movement of relationship line ends!

Jack

Thanx for your input jwells00!
Any ideas on enhancements are highly appreciated

Roboy