Toad World® Forums

Possible bug, when fetching rows from a large table

Hi

I might have found a bug in Nav.
I use the default setting that fetches the first 250 rows.
Sometimes I need ro see more data. I fetch some thousands of new rows, and cancel the job to check the newly fetched data.
Now the fun part begins! :slight_smile:
From here, I am not able to fetch any more rows. I have to run the query again, and start fetching from scratch if I need to see more rows than those fetched before I cancelled.

I am using ver. 5.5. The same issue is in 5.1

-starálfur-

Message was edited by: staralfur

So, what you’re asking for is a sort of “pause” feature to interrupt the fetch until later? It makes sense that you’d have to re-execute the query after canceling it because of the current implementation… However, we want to make sure the product functions as expected, not impose artificial limits on you just because of the way we do something.

Please help us understand how you feel SQL Navigator should work and we’ll see what can be done to accomodate it.

Thanks!

Daniel

Thanks for your reply!

I thought I could continue a cancelled fetch in earlier versions, but I might be wrong.

I was thinking of a GUI that looks like it does today, but with the ability to continue fetching after a cancel. Maybe change the word “Cancel” with “Break” or something.
Another approach could be to remove the dialog with the “Cancel” button, and add the row counter and a “Pause” button to the grey line above the grid instead.

Just some thoughts, there are probably many other ways to design this as well.

-starálfur-

It is possible to achieve the functionality that Starálfur mentions…
By default, the ‘Read Buffer Size’ is set to 250 (rows).
If you let it fetch the 250 rows…

You can then click the ‘Last Record’ button on the display grid’s tool bar (see image_1)…

A progress indicator will then be displayed as it continues to fetch more rows. If you click the Cancel button on this dialogue (see image_2) it will stop fetching rows, and display what it has in the grid.

You can then click the ‘Last Record’ button again, and it will continue to fetch rows again.

But there is a bug from 4.5 on (works in 4.4) and this re-fetch functionality is not working correctly!! Andrew and I have just been investigating this, prompted by this thread.
So you have unmasked a bug Starálfur

Jaime
image_1.jpeg

It is possible to achieve the functionality that Starálfur mentions…
By default, the ‘Read Buffer Size’ is set to 250 (rows).
If you let it fetch the 250 rows…

You can then click the ‘Last Record’ button on the display grid’s tool bar (see image_1)…

A progress indicator will then be displayed as it continues to fetch more rows. If you click the Cancel button on this dialogue (see image_2) it will stop fetching rows, and display what it has in the grid.

You can then click the ‘Last Record’ button again, and it will continue to fetch rows again.

But there is a bug from 4.5 on (works in 4.4) and this re-fetch functionality is not working correctly!! Andrew and I have just been investigating this, prompted by this thread.
So you have unmasked a bug Starálfur

Jaime
image_2.jpeg

Nice!
My brain is not playing tricks with me then! :slight_smile:

Definitely not…
Your brain is fine!!