Problem System.AccessViolationException with TOAD 5.7

Last TOAD SQL Server 5.7.0.605.

I connect to a DB. I work with user parameter and I open TOAD Web Browser window to see forums.
I close browser windows and switch to Editor.
In this moment I obtain exception as you can see from my screenshot.
In about 30/40 seconds toad open about 150 windows/dialog of Error message.

In attach a ZIP wich contains file ExceptionTrace.log.

I stay tune for your answer.

Best regards.

Sergio Bertolotti

ExceptionTrace.zip (6.24 KB)

Hello Sergio,
this issue reminds me another odd error reported by you recently - issue with opening Help. the same strange results…
It seems to be environmental specific. Is there any chance to try this on another PC prior to asking you to re-install .NET?

Alex

Hi Alexander,

this evening I test TOAD 5.7 trial on another notebook with Windows 7 professional at 32 bits, and after this tomorrow I inform you about the results.

Only a curiosity , how can I reinstall .NET framework ?
Simple donwload it from MS web page and re-install it or there is another procedure ?

Best regards.

Sergio Bertolotti

Great, waiting an update from you.

Reinstall of .NET on Vista and W7 can be a bit tricky since it is distributed as Windows component. Please follow Microsoft recommendations, please google it.

Alex

Alexander,
as I promise you I test the problem with a notebook with MS Windows 7 professional edition at 32 bits with service pack 1 plus last service pack from windows update of every second Tuesday of month.
MS Windows 7 it’s in italian language.
On this notebook I install trial version of TOAD 5.7 Xpert edition.

Plus I run on my notebook an sfc /scannow and this command tell me that all files of the system is OK.
There is only a reference to a config.sys and autoexec.bat missing, but all it’s OK.
I re-do my notebook at the end of April 2012, and I haven’t any problems.

After the execution of sfc /scannow, this problem on my notebook seems disappear. I never see exception with browser control.
At this point I test problem with help of TOAD as you wrote - issue with opening Help - on these two PC’s, and I obtain that :

1. Notebook new with W7 professional in italian language with service pack 1. at 32 bits.
  2. My old notebook with Vista business at 32 bits with service pack 2 in italian language.

PC 1) I run TOAD, without connecting to any DB I open help and use it for about 30/40 seconds. At this point I close help and when I return to TOAD, for about 10/15 seconds, I can’t works all is locked. After this time the behaviour of TOAD return normal and I can works without problems.

PC 2) I run TOAD without connecting to any DB I open help and use it for about 30/40 seconds. At this point I close help and when I return to TOAD, for about 2/3 minutes, I can’t works all is locked. In task manager appear a new process werfault.exe .
After this time the behaviour of TOAD return normal and I can works without problems.

Have you some idea about this ?

It’s very strange… I remember when I use trial of TOAD 5.6, until and of May 2012, all was ok with help file and TOAD.

Best regards.

Sergio Bertolotti

Hello Sergio,
sorry for the delay. It took me awhile to get to this topic.

Thank you for the detailed report, much appreciated. From what I see the only one actual issue is Toad not responding after closing Help window. Please correct me if I’m wrong.

To get rid of toad’s not responding you may try to disable Vista error reporting tool (http://forum.notebookreview.com/windows-os-software/265458-werfault-exe-how-disable.html). From what I see on the forums it may cause this issue.

Alex

Hello Alexander,

you are right. Toad not responding after closing Help window.
In Vista for about 2/3 minutes in Windows 7 for about 10 seconds.

I see the same problem with SQL Optimizer for SQL Server. SQL Optimizer not responding for about 2/3 minutes and after this all return OK.
Yesterday I test it and the problem is the same.

Thank’s for your suggestion. I tests it and inform you about the results of disable Vista error reporting tool.

Best regards.

Sergio Bertolotti

Alexander,

I deactivate on my vista system, vista reporting tool as you suggest to me in previous message.

In attach you find alittle MP4 file to show you the result.
Now I can use your TOAD help file without problem.
When I close it as you can see in my MP4, there is only a strange behaviour of TOAD.
TOAD tell me that there is an error and TOAD will be close, but it’s not true.

As you can see TOAD continue to works without problems.

I hopw this is helpfull for you.

Tell me something about this i nthe future.

Best regards.

Sergio Bertolotti
TOAD_CHM.7z (3.02 MB)

Sergio,
thanks a lot for the update. Can you please translate message that appears on a toolbar? My Italian is not good enough unfortunately :slight_smile:

And please take a look to Windows event log at this time. If you have a record of this even please export it so we can take a look?

regards,
Alexander

Alexander,

Translate mesage that appears on the scroll bar :

TOAD for SQL Server has been closed.
Programs execution protection : TOAD for SQL Server has been close to protect the PC. For more information click here.

In attach you find as registry voice that I export/save when TOAD has been closed.

I stay tune for your answer.

Best regards.

Sergio Bertolotti
registry_error_toad.txt (1.31 KB)

Hello Sergio,
unfortunately we still can’t reproduce the issue on our side even with all additional info. From what I see you can continue work normally now with this strange message.
Seems to be environmental issue related to this particular machine only.
Let’s skip it and move forward to solve more important issues, ok? :slight_smile:

thanks for your input,
Alexander

Dear Alexander,

many thank’s for your support.
I appreciate it too much.

Best regards.

Sergio Bertolotti