re: Toad to Oracle Connection problem

Hello,

I am a student , new to Toad and I would like to seek your help and expertises. I heard my classmates talk about the easiness of using Toad and it is my first time of trying the great product. I have used MongoDB and RMongo in my previous classes. I am trying to use Toad and I am running into a connection problem. I am reading Toad’s article on how to install Oracle client on window machine ( https://www.toadworld.com/platforms/oracle/b/weblog/archive/2017/03/07/oracle-11g-12c-client-install-on-windows-lightweight-and-locked-down ) , and I was succesfully install the Oracle client on my window machine on my C drive at C:\app\client\grego\product\12.1.0\client_1 . However , when I tried to go to the cd C:\app\client\grego\product\12.1.0\client_1\network\admin in order to add my tnsname.ora file ; it said that c:\app directory does not exist.

I have no clue why c:\app directory did not exist in window eventhough the client software was sucessfully installed on C:\app\client\grego\product\12.1.0\client_1 . Please tell me if I miss some important steps or do i need to do any thing in order to create my tnsnames.ora there or any other directory.

Many Thanks!!

Tom

Hi Tom,

The folder they used in the blog post is an example folder only. Your local folder may vary.

I’ve also provided a response to your other post with the same question. Using Toad for Oracle’s built-in TNSNames Editor should help you do what you need to do. Here’s the link to your other question.

http://www.toadworld.com/products/toad-for-oracle/f/10/p/34717/68723#68723

Feel free to let us know if there’s anything else you need.

Thanks,

-John

The c:/app path is just a directory in which the Oracle Database is installed and could be different for different users. The directory and file being referred to, which would be the same for all users, is C:\\product\\network\admin\tnsnames.ora in which multiple \\ refer to a variable intermediate directory path. As an example the directory path could be C:\minht\product\12.1.0\dbhome_1\NETWORK\ADMIN\tnsnames.ora