reverse engineer objects based on sql catalog modification date of object

Is there a way to create a new model by reverse engineering sql objects chosen by modification date of the sql objects in the source DB?

thanks,

Ken

Hi Ken,

no. You have to select the tables manually and modification date is not displayed in the list of tables to be reverse engineered.

BTW: what is your target database, please?

Regards,

Vaclav

Hi Vaclav and thanks for the reply.

Target DB is Sql Server.

ken

On Sat, Dec 28, 2013 at 1:25 PM, Vaclav Frolik bounce-Vaclav_Frolik@toadworld.com wrote:

RE: reverse engineer objects based on sql catalog modification date of object

Reply by Vaclav Frolik
Hi Ken,

no. You have to select the tables manually and modification date is not displayed in the list of tables to be reverse engineered.

BTW: what is your target database, please?

Regards,

Vaclav

To reply, please reply-all to this email.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Or Unsubscribe from Toad Data Modeler - General notifications altogether.

Toad Data Modeler - Discussion Forum

Flag this post as spam/abuse.

--
"When it comes to database programming, the difference between theory and practice is much greater in theory than it is in practice."

Hi Ken,

thanks for your fast response. In the current version there is probably no easy method how to achieve what you need, but we plan significant improvements for next releases. Recognition or tracking of modified items in both model and database seems to be a good idea. I will discuss it with other team members and will evaluate possible benefits.

Thank you again,

Vaclav

The Sql Server catalog maintain a modification date for some objects - I am not sure if all objects- and a create date. A modification date however does not truly indicate there is any functional or even non-functional difference in the DDL for an object. For procedures for example, one can make a change in spacing of text, or perhaps nothing at all, but executing the "alter proc" statement I believe will change the modification date.

Still, for me it is a simple and very reliable way to guarantee I don't miss any changed objects when creating a model of objects I have changed in source DB.

best,

ken

On Sat, Dec 28, 2013 at 2:26 PM, Vaclav Frolik bounce-Vaclav_Frolik@toadworld.com wrote:

RE: reverse engineer objects based on sql catalog modification date of object

Reply by Vaclav Frolik

Hi Ken,

thanks for your fast response. In the current version there is probably no easy method how to achieve what you need, but we plan significant improvements for next releases. Recognition or tracking of modified items in both model and database seems to be a good idea. I will discuss it with other team members and will evaluate possible benefits.

Thank you again,

Vaclav

To reply, please reply-all to this email.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Or Unsubscribe from Toad Data Modeler - General notifications altogether.

Toad Data Modeler - Discussion Forum

Flag this post as spam/abuse.

--
"When it comes to database programming, the difference between theory and practice is much greater in theory than it is in practice."

Hi Ken - I posted your idea into the Toad Data Modeler Idea Pond. You can find the entry here if you would like to provide some more comments. Thank you for the suggestion!