Ruler? - After "File Open"

After opening a file with the “File/Open File” option, is there a way to put a Ruler at the top of the page. This would be great when bringing files into Toad and testing for accuracy. Thanks for your response.

Unfortunately our editor component does not support this, but we have had a lot of requests for it. I believe we currently have a request in with the Editor component to add this feature.

From: sandra.paul [mailto:bounce-sandrapaul@toadworld.com]

Sent: Thursday, April 07, 2016 9:52 AM

To: toadoracle@toadworld.com

Subject: [Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum] Ruler? - After “File Open”

Ruler? - After "File Open"

Thread created by sandra.paul

After opening a file with the “File/Open File” option, is there a way to put a Ruler at the top of the page. This would be great when bringing files into Toad and testing for accuracy. Thanks for your response.

To reply, please reply-all to this email.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Or
Unsubscribe from Toad for Oracle - General
notifications altogether.

Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

Thanks.

Brad, did the editor component change in 12.7.x?. At least in Toad 12.6.0.53 if you go to view->toad options and look under editor->display there is a show ruler checkbox.

Yes, it changed in 12.7

Sent: Thursday, April 07, 2016 3:44 PM

To: toadoracle@toadworld.com

Subject: RE: [Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum] Ruler? - After “File Open”

RE: Ruler? - After "File Open"

Reply by jcharpak

Brad, did the editor component change in 12.7.x?. At least in Toad 12.6.0.53 if you go to view->toad options and look under editor->display there is a show ruler checkbox.

To reply, please reply-all to this email.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Or
Unsubscribe from Toad for Oracle - General
notifications altogether.

Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

I’m on version 12.8 and it’s not showing the ruler. I have an old version of 12.5 and it works find. I’m certainly puzzled as to why this would be removed???

The editor component was swapped out. The prior one was dead essentially. It had one developer on it, no updates in years, small user base and no user community, etc. Toad uses Scintilla now which is under active development, has excellent documentation, and an active user community. You’ve probably encountered it in other applications. Scintilla does not have a ruler and if it’s to be added I’ll have to do it. There are no plans by the Scintilla community or its lead developer to do so. Since Toad is an IDE and not a word processing application it’s extremely low on the todo list since there are many other ways to properly align your code, visualize indentation, and ensure proper formatting.

Michael

Also, you say testing for accuracy. If you expand on what you mean here there may be a method for you to achieve the same. If you’re testing against a known source then use a text comparison tool. If you just want to check formatting then I’d try enabling the options to show whitespace and indentation guides.