Scheduling for Dummies - Automation Designer

I am an analyst who uses TOAD daily to run queries that have been written for me. I don’t know sql other than to make small tweaks here and there to existing scripts.

BUT, I think if someone showed me the exact steps to schedule these queries to run on their own – I could follow the steps and set these up to run and export as excel - save tons of time.

I watched a youtube video that I thought was going to show me how, but it seemed to be more focused on the WHAT can be done, but not the HOW.

I have automation design open. I guess I’m going to list actions ie: Execute Script 1 under that I will put Export Data Set?

Where do I copy and paste the script? Then what?

If I wait for our systems team to do this it will take years.

Any help is appreciated and remember, I’m not a DB :frowning:

Drop an Export Dataset action in the automation designer (no Execute script action is needed for this). Double-click it and the query (without the ending semicolon) on the dataset tab. Then you can go back to the options tab to set up the export format.

Then you can rt-click the action to run it or schedule it.

If your scripts consist of multiple select statements, then you’ll have to repeat this process for each select statement. So, just one statement per Export Dataset action.

If you’re just looking to get the output of a query, you can do it in one action in the automation designer.

· Connect to your DB

· Create an Export Dataset action

· Select your Options (Excel, delimited text, file, …)

· Select the Dataset tab

· Paste your query

· Test to make sure it works

· Once you’re happy with it, right click on the Action and select Schedule.

Of course, you can get very fancy with Actions by using folder iterators, scripts, e-mail, ftp, … Take a look at the samples that ship with Toad for examples of the power available to you.

Hope that helps,

Greg

Sent: Friday, August 28, 2015 9:35 AM

To: toadoracle@toadworld.com

Subject: [Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum] Scheduling for Dummies - Automation Designer

Scheduling for Dummies - Automation Designer

Thread created by USSteresa

I am an analyst who uses TOAD daily to run queries that have been written for me. I don’t know sql other than to make small tweaks here and there to existing scripts.

BUT, I think if someone showed me the exact steps to schedule these queries to run on their own – I could follow the steps and set these up to run and export as excel - save tons of time.

I watched a youtube video that I thought was going to show me how, but it seemed to be more focused on the WHAT can be done, but not the HOW.

I have automation design open. I guess I’m going to list actions ie: Execute Script 1 under that I will put Export Data Set?

Where do I copy and paste the script? Then what?

If I wait for our systems team to do this it will take years.

Any help is appreciated and remember, I’m not a DB :frowning:

To reply, please reply-all to this email.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Or
Unsubscribe from Toad for Oracle - General
notifications altogether.

Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.