SQL 2005 extended Properties & Naming standards

Sorry if this is a duplicated post, but I didn’t see a forum search. I am having a problem generating the DDL statement for SQL Server 2005 to include the execution of the extended properties stored procedure to add the definitions of the data elements.

If i reverse engineer the DB and then generate the DDL it works, but not from a new model. I have the EXACT same problem with Erwin, which is why I’m evaluating TOAD. Am I missing a configuration somewhere?

Also, when converting from a logical to a physical model I want to apply some naming standards and couldn’t find if this is possible?

I am currently looking at the latest BETA version 3.4.1.5

Also, when converting from a logical to a physical model I want to apply some naming standards and couldn't find if this is possible?

Unfortunately, it is not possible now.
Nevertheless, we will deal with this issue. It's been registered under CR # 50 093.

We look forward to your reply.

Regards,

Vladka + TDM Team

Hello,

Let me reply to your questions.

I am having a problem generating the DDL statement for SQL Server 2005 to include the execution of the extended properties stored procedure to add the definitions of the data elements.
If i reverse engineer the DB and then generate the DDL it works, but not from a new model. I have the EXACT same problem with Erwin, which is why I'm evaluating TOAD. Am I missing a configuration somewhere?

We are not definitely sure what you think, I'm sorry.
Anyway, TDM does not load Extended Properties of objects, except for the extended property MS_Description for some objects - this one is loaded.

Nevertheless, you write that it works for reversed model. Could you please send us the reversed model with any extended property? We'll check it out and will see what exactly you mean. (You can send it to: modeling@quest.com.)

Example Models sent to the e-mail address

Hello Jeremy,

Thanks very much for your models. Now it is clear.- You meant the db procedures, not TDM procedures, and want to generate comments/descriptions in the SQL code.
As I already wrote, extended property MS_Description for some objects is loaded in TDM.

Please take the following steps in the model you created from scratch:

1. Open Entity Properties form | Description tab and write comments there.
  2. In the Entity Properties form | General tab, assign a schema to the entity.
    (If you don’t have any schemas, simply click the button next to the Schemas box in the Entity Property form, create a schema and then select it for the entity).

Let me explain - To generate the table, column descriptions for SQL Server db in Toad Data Modeler, schema/owner has to be defined.

1. Press F9 to generate SQL script.

The problem will be solved then.

If you have more questions, please do not hesitate to write me.
Thanks.

Regards,

Vladka + TDM Team