SQL Nav 6.2 - few annoying features

I recently switched from version 5.5.4 to 6.2 and few features are getting on my nerves.

The editor window and toolbar:

1. If I click on ‘New SQL’ icon, leave the mouse cursor there, the popup appears right over the SQL text I’m typing, blocking first 1-2 lines of code.
  2. Open File, by some reason open SQL script in a new window, not in the one I worked with.
  3. Auto Code Completion - pops up somewhat randomly, sometimes after I press F9 to execute my script. Also stays up even when I switch beween editor windows, sometimes making the cursor in the editor to disappear.
  4. The result output window keeps shifting columns, can’t figure out how to make them fixed for good.
  5. When I try to copy results from the result window using Ctrl-A, Ctrl-C it copies the Row # by some reason.
  6. Row# values disappear if selected, unlike other columns that turn white-on-blue when selected.
  7. SQL History - when I click this button, the history rolls out and collapses a half a second later, unless I swiftly move the mouse cursor over it.

Since 6.2 does not crash as much as 5.5.4 I think I’m going to use it anyway.

New more things about DB explorer:

I wonder what’s was the reason to move partitioned tables under Tables/Partitioned Tables? In our schema we use mix of normal, partitioned and object tables and such separation makes it hard to find the table by name.

Also the name filter does not apply to nested branches. Example:
SCHEMA-
– Tables like ‘QUERY%’ (11)
— Synonims like ‘QUERY%’ (0)
— Partitioned Tables QUERY% (76) - note, no single quotes around
------ list of all partitioned tables unfiltered
— Object Tables (2)
— Store Tables (2)
— QUERY_ORIGIN
— QUERY_TYPE

Hi Alexey,

A lot has been changed since version 5.5 in order to ienhance the workflow and its usuability. Along the way, we might have missed things that are vital to the users. Hopefully, with feedbacks from customers we could make more improvements to the product.

1. CR raised
  2. This is a change in the workflow. I doubt there’s anything we can do about it.
  3. This one is being fixed for 6.3.
  4. Please provide more information on this case. Screenshots would help as well.
  5. I cannot replicate this bug. Steps to reproduce please.
  6. row# doesn’t disappear on my machine. It turns black on white and the whole row is highlighted in blue.
  7. SQL History is a part of the Toolbox. If you have the toolbox unpinned and click on the sql history button, the tool is displayed but it won’t pin the toolbox. To use it, you have to hover the mouse near the area so the toolbox is expanded.
  8. Cr raised for the filter issue.

Thanks,
Gwen

1. SQL Nav 5.5.4 used to prompt whether I want to save the script when I try to open another file in the editor window. SQL Nav 6.2 simply open the new script in the new window if there's unsaved code.

2. attached an image with reproduces steps.

3. a. execute the query,
    b. move mouse cursor over Row # value on row 2
    c. press left button - the whole row inverts
    d1. release left button - Row # value disappears

alternatively
    d2. with the left button pressed, drag mouse cursor down, selecting rows 2 to 5 and release. While you drag the mouse down Row# value "2" on row 2 is visible, while Row # values on rows 3-5 are not.

4. Yes, my Toolbox is unpinned. When I click on Toolbox button it stays open because the mouse cursor hovers over the 'Toolbox' button. That is not the case with 'SQL History' button.

one more thing:

On the result the background for even rows is light gray background and for odd rows ait is plain white. I just noticed that this light gray background is completely invisible on some monitors. I use two side by side and when I drag SQL Navigator window from one to another the light gray background disappears. I had to turn the monitor contrast setting way down before I could see it.

Regarding issue #2 in my list.
It is now impossible to open 2 editor window and load the same SQL script in both.

Usual scenario -

1. Open sample.sql in editor 1, modify it and execute the query
  2. Click on New SQL and try to load the same sample.sql
  3. Instead of loading the script the focus moves back to the first editor window.

New issues:

• Pressing Ctrl-R to reformat already formatted text keeps moving the cursor 1 line upward every time you press Ctrl-R

• Looks like that 6.2 editor windows support triple-mouse clicks to highlight a full line of code, with leading and trailing spaces, instead of just the trimmed text.

• SQL Nav 6.2 continues to steal focus from other windows. That’s actually an old issue, but in this version it became more prominent. Usually happens when I run a long query and switch to another sql nav editor window or another application window to do something else meanwhile.

1. Prompt to save before opening file: As I have stated before, sqlnav now open the new file in a new tab or new window instead of loading it into the existing tab so it no longer prompts to save the file.

2. Issue with the color of row# value: CR logged

3. Not include row# column while copy: I raised a CR to create a preference for this. Some people may want to see the content of this column.

4. The toolbox button that you refered to is a part of the Toolbox window and only appears when the toolbox is unpinned. When the mouse is hover over it/ click on it. It will show the toolbox which contains the History tool. The History button works a bit different than 5.5 because the History tool is no longer a stand-alone floating window. It only shows the History tool on top of other window and does not affect the current state (pinned/unpinned) of the toolbox as a whole. However, we will look into it and see if there's a way to make this button works the same as 'toolbox'. I will keep you posted.

1. background colors for even/odd row in the data grid: We have a discussion and agreed that no matter which color we changed them to, it will not satisfy all customers. as a result, i will raise a CR to have a preference so the customer can change the colors to suit their needs.
  1. Open a file mutiple times: this is another change in workflow in 6.*. In 6.2 it only allows you to open the same file mutiple times if it is opened in 2 separate windows. First go to Preferences and tick the option Session > Allow multiple Code Editor window per Session. Ctrl + M to open a window and open the file. Repeat this step to open the same file in a different window.

2. Cursor moves when format script: CR logged

3. I had a look and although 6.2 highlight the whole line (including space), it doesn’t copy them. Could you please give us an example or screenshot?

4. Cr logged

1. Triple click on a line of SQL code, Ctrl-C, paste the result in Notepad or another editor window. It will be inserted with leading spaces.
    The only reason raised this issue was that this functionality differs from the standard MS Windows workflow (MS Word, Wordpad).

One more things about the result data grid:

I've noticed "Group by this column' and decided to try what it does. Attached screenshots show show its failure. With 'Format columns by name and data' it looks better, but I still don't know what is it supposed to do.

Hide column. Works fine for one column, but does not allow to hide two or more columns at the same time.

Select column. Works fine for one column, but does not allow to select two or more columns at the same time. Have to use drag select to do it.

1. I did triple click, copy and paste to notepas but doesn't see any trailing spaces.

2. The image above should demonstrate how the grouping function is used. Click on the arrow to show all the records in a selected group. It's basically a combination of sorting and grouping.

3. Hide/Show column in the RH click menu can only hide/show one column at a time. Because of this limitation, we have the Column tool in the toolbox which allows you to hide/show mutiple columns.

Gwen

1. I did triple click, copy and paste to notepas but doesn't see any trailing spaces.

2. The image above should demonstrate how the grouping function is used. Click on the arrow to show all the records in a selected group. It's basically a combination of sorting and grouping.

3. Hide/Show column in the RH click menu can only hide/show one column at a time. Because of this limitation, we have the Column tool in the toolbox which allows you to hide/show mutiple columns.

Gwen

Gwen,
for issue 8 you tried to copy a piece of code without leading spaces. Try it with something more complicated, like the second line of

WITH gen AS ( SELECT ADD_MONTHS (TO_DATE (‘01-JAN-2007’), (ROWNUM - 1) * 3) st,
ADD_MONTHS (TO_DATE (‘01-APR-2007’), (ROWNUM - 1) * 3)
en
FROM DUAL
CONNECT BY LEVEL <= 12)
SELECT *
FROM gen

for the grouping issue, I finally figured what it does. But it does not work well with the default column formatting.

Hi Alexey,

I wouldn’t consider the behaviour of text processors like MS Word, Wordpad as ‘standard’ for developer editors like ours. If you look at other developer editors or even Notepad, they behave exactly like SQL Navigator’s editor. This request will likely be rejected.

Regards,
Roman