v6.2 coding usability

Hello.
I work in v5.5 of Navigator, still have not move for v6. After several upgrades of v6 I still see problems with coding usability, and some others.

Please make code selection rules the same as it was in v5.5. For example in code editor in v6.2:

• There is no selection when clicking area located to the left of the typed string (is where is line numbering). In v5 there were 'line select' on click, and 'begin selecting' on 'mouse down and move'.
  • It is impossible to start selecting text if clicking mouse button under the last string of the text. In v5 it is OK.
  • When Select a part of code (single request) and execute, the selection took away. PLEASE keep it selected!! I will deselect text by myself if it is necessary for me.

Some other irritating stuff:

• The scroll moves то the first request line when execute. WHY?? It happens even when request visible completely in text area. Please do not touch my scrolling! May be there is switch off option somewhere, but i didn't find it. I dont need other scroll position even when request invisible. Icon near the request is enough. And selecting executed request by other color is enough - it is good idea.
  • When switching between result tabs of multi-execute - and autoscrolling again - do not needed, it disturbs. Scrolling position is remembering for every result tab (when scroll code and switch between tabs every scroll-position saves) - WHAT FOR?? And again: selecting executed request by other color is good and enough.
    It could be OK if you apply 'changing scroll position to request first string' to 'double click action on tab' (and no saving for every tab).

I may work with (need to see) the text above my executed code or somewhere, but this damn autoscrolling... It forces me to do superfluous steps. I hate superfluous actions, everybody hates.

• About selecting executed request by other color: Good idea but bad realization. Now in v6.2 when you start editing executed request the color-selection did not fade out - typed text also get color-selection, even when you type after color-selected '/' character. Obviously in these cases, the color selection should be deselected.
  • "multi code editor windows" - great! I often work with multiple windows to see the contents of several simultaneously. But when you close single code editor window v6.2 still shows the list of closing windows, but it is always one - just show me the dialog and ask save/nosave, no list needed.
    All this slowing down the work (or just irritate).

I also noticed the errors in the syntax highlighting (for example 'set', 'a' (why?)).
And highlighting occurs in different ways in different modules of the program.
(for example in 'Code tampletes' - 'for' 'in' 'then')
Maybe it's worth to do it in a unified manner whith common rules source.

And I have a few suggestions/comments (apparently they relate to my adaptation to a new version but still...):

I use a 'DB navigator' often, not 'DB Explorer'. May be becaus of 'locate in tree' function.
- Is it possible not to close 'DB navigator' after restarting program?
I like 'DB Explorer' feature, when dragging 'table name' to code editor the 'all rows request' generated automaticly (pity that 'DB Explorer' doesnt generate request for views same way).
- Is it possible to apply this function to 'mouse right button down and drag to code editor' for 'DB navigator'? And for views too.
'mouse LEFT button down and drag to code editor' is OK for object name generating.
Returning to the result tabs:
Sort by pressing the column name apparently is good.
But in v5.5 it was possible to copy column name by selecting the appropriate context menu. 'Left click' and 'right click' cause the same action (sorting). In v6.2 I found 'copy column heading' in rows context menu but it is not available when there is no rows.
- Is it possible to apply context menu ('right click') for column headings with copy option?
/*
initially confused:
'copy column heading' for v5 ='include column heading when copy' for v6;
'copy column name' for v5 = 'copy column heading' for v6
*/

Sorry for my english, hope it is OK, hope your eyes still not bleeding.

Hi Hitagara,

Many thanks for your feedback and the list issues you found with v6.2.

Some of issues you raised here like the selection is not retained after execution has been addressed in our latest internal Beta v6.3 build.

We will go through the list you sent in and will try to get back to you and provide you an update on each item by tomorrow.

Many thanks again for your feedback.

Best regards,
Bruce

Hi Hitagara,

• Selection when clicking area local to the left of the string: In version 6, clicking here will not highlight the current line but if you drag mouse down it does the job.Please give us some ideas on how important this ‘line select’ is to your workflow.

• Start selecting text if clicking mouse button under the last string --> CR will be raised

• Keeping selection after execute: we’re fixing this for 6.3

• Scroll moves to the first request line when execute. If you have many statements and use F8 to execute, the cursor and scroll will move to the next statement.I guess this problem occurs if you have onelong statement and the cursor is somewhere at the bottom. Is that right? I notices that 5.5 works the same way.

• Switching between results tab will highlights and focuses the associated query. This one is a hard one to decide because it does benefit some customers who want to see which query is fired for each dataset.

• Highlighting executed query: we have fixed it so that when you start editing the highlight will disappears. This fix will be in 6.3.

• “multi code editor windows”: It actuall shows the list of closing tabs. You can have many tabs inside a window. Just a dialog and save/no save will not provide enough information in this case.

• We have been struggling with syntax highlighting due to the limitation of the new component that we’re using. It would be much appreciated if you could report anything that is not working right.

• DB navigator vs DB Explorer: if you want the same behaviour as 5.5, please untick this preference General > Session > Show Code Editor after connection.

• Drag & drop for view/ drag & drop columns list for dbnav tree: enhancement requests will be raised

• Copy column heading will also be available when right click on the column heading: will be fixed in 6.3

Thanks and we’re looking forward for more feedbacks from you.
Gwen

• Yes, sure I understand that selection in itself is possible. I just don’t like pixel hunting. If it possible to make active area bigger and more handy, then why not to make it so (especially since 5.5 it were better). About the area: maybe I badly described what I mean. But I mean the ‘area you talking about’[1] PLUS the ‘area called gutter’ [2] (called by settings in v5.5).
    /*
    In v5.5 it wasn’t perfect too because when line numbering were activated, the number part of gutter acted like area [1]
    */
    “ideas on how important this ‘line select’ is to your workflow” - I feel like as if someone took from me my mouse with scroll wheel and gave a new one without it. Still can working. May be not so acute, but something like that. Just want v6 [1]+[2] acting like v5.5 gutter (without numbering).

• “Start selecting text if clicking mouse button under the last string --> CR will be raised”
    Do not sure I understand. Start selecting if clicking mouse button under the last string (can do so only when lines does not occupy the whole code editor area in height) leads to the fact that nothing get selected. Carriage just jumps to closest position in last line. Can select in v5.5.
    Apparently I’m so lazy that even am lazy to do additional movements of the mouse.

• “Keeping selection after execute: we’re fixing this for 6.3” - good.

• “I notices that 5.5 works the same way.” - can’t be. After execute v5.5 changes carriage possition, scrolling follows carriage if it needed (carriage go beyond visible area (window precisely (ignoring results block)). As I wrote in first message v6 changes scrolling possition everytime. It Moves tо the first line of reques, makes the line first in window (when enough space to scroll of course). It’s really annoying when you’re working with a few small requests (!subrequests in Big requests!), and you need to switch between them, they are above or below of executed query, but scroll pos constantly changing. No need to change scroll pos when new carriage pos visible. Just want 5.5 rule of carriage folowing.

-“This one is a hard one to decide because it does benefit some customers who want to see which query is fired for each dataset.” Absolutely support those who want to see which query is fired. Color select is great (but dont like the color, it better be soft-yellow/orange/blue/‘or something’ to not to be confused with the text selection). What do you think about double click on dataset to focus? Or ‘focus option in settings’ PLUS double click on dataset when focus option off - it will be great for me (and no saving scroll pos for every tab)

-“Highlighting executed query: we have fixed it” - good.

-“many tabs inside a window. Just a dialog and save/no save will not provide enough information in this case.” - just noticed about “many tabs inside” even with “multi code editor windows” option on. Then still when there is one tab (for me it is more frequent) it will be good “dialog and save/no save” without list. And no need ‘more tabs…’ and ‘close current tab’ buttons when there is only one tab. And hey, why can not drag tabs between windows or separate them into new windows?!

-“We have been struggling with syntax highlighting…you could report…” - keep struggling. Not working much with v6 now, but I’ll try to report.

-“General > Session > Show Code Editor after connection” - thank you.

-“Drag & drop … enhancement requests will be raised” - nice.

-“Copy column heading … will be fixed” - good.

Oh, and I have here an idea of the function which I am missing in Navigator.
There is two execute buttons. Is it possible to add one another, which will adds the query result tab(s) without closing tabs which already derived. This is useful when you want to get query results from different parts of the text, or when you need to tweak executed query and compare the results. Yes, I am really lazy, - don’t wont to copy needed parts in one piece, especially when needed requests are 20-30 seconds in time and one of them derived already.

PS: Damn, just noticed that the procedures used the gutter for some debug stuff, it crashes my world view.
I see I am talking too much, when I’ve got work to do!
Maybe it’s all minor details.
I accustomed 5.5,
I have a 5.5,
I am happy with it,
Thank you for it.

Maybe I’ll be back when 6.5 will be released :smiley: