SQL Scripting

Hi to all!

I’ve just been newly introduced to Toad for Oracle and I’m kind of not really getting everything. I was given a task and I’m trying to create a database in TOAD using SQL scripts. But when I try to execute, there is always an error in either line 1 or 3. Please help me. Thank you!

Greetings Lucky_Amethyst,
On 25/10/14 17:01, Lucky_Amethyst wrote:

I've just been newly introduced to Toad for Oracle and I'm kind of not
really getting everything. I was given a task and I'm trying to create a
database in TOAD using SQL scripts. But when I try to execute, there is
always an error in either line 1 or 3. Please help me. Thank you!
Well, to be honest, there's not much we can say at this point on the grounds of not knowing what lines 1 or 3 look like!
Are you running some Oracle created scripts from the DBCA tool? If so, part of those that are generated are intended to be run on a server - where the database is going to live - and not on a client, like your Toad installation. Unless, of course, the database is to be created on your windows PC that is!
Also, when you say that you are "trying to create a database in TOAD" I assume you mean "using TOAD" and not actually "in TOAD". Toad has no ability to create databases within itself. It allows you to connect to databases and manipulate them, or the data within them, from your desktop.
If you can post the first few lines of the code you are executing and the full error text and codes, as applicable, we might be able to help.
Also, it might be useful to know if you are attempting to create a database on your Windows PC or remotely on a database server - which may be Unix or Windows, who knows!
To be honest, I don't think I've ever created a new database running scripts in Toad - normally database creation would be done ahead of time, and Toad used to connect to an existing database. You would login to the database server and use SQLPlus to create the database, or create it with the DataBase Creation Assistant tool dbca which runs on the server.
Toad is an Oracle client tool, not a server tool. It is, if you like, SQL
Plus on a seriously large amount of steroids and strength hormones!
Welcome to Toad by the way, you'll definitely like it here!
HTH
-- Cheers,
Norm. [TeamT]

to create a database in TOAD using SQL scripts

sorry but you cannot do that because scripts start with nomount mode

STARTUP NOMOUNT

Toad (sql editor) can work only against opened database.

So please use SQL*Plus instead and follow instructions from:

docs.oracle.com/.../create003.htm

Hope this helps,

Damir