Toad World® Forums

TDA Hangs on ODBC query containing unbound field (CLOB)


#1

I’m having a problem where TDA will hang or occasionally crash when including an unbound (CLOB) field in the result set.

I am using a very simple query through a BMC Remedy ODBC driver.
e.g. “SELECT id, largefield FROM table1 WHERE id=1”

This will hang and I have to kill the background process. It has occasionally crashed the app as well (thrown exception).

This same exact query works totally fine through a utility like msqry.exe (its very quick too; the actual amount of data in my sample record has just 20 chars in the unbound field). The query will only work in TDA if i remove all unbound fields from the result set.

As a note; if the query criteria would result in more than 1 ticket: canceling the background process will usually return the first row of data (including the unbound field). Remaining rows never appear. Sometimes TDA just immediately crashes.

The backend for this Remedy instance is Oracle; field is a CLOB.

Is this a known issue? Are there any settings I can look at? I made a post a while ago regarding issues caused when Block Cursor Size > 1; I tried playing w/ this value to no avail.

Message was edited by: keeena


#2

Can you email me your exception log as well as the complete DDL for the table so I can investigate?

Thanks.


#3

Do you want the DDL for Oracle or as viewed through the ODBC (or both)?

The occasional crash is due to out of memory (can email that exception). For most cases when the app doesn’t crash: there is no exception thrown…TDA just sits there forever running the 1 task / process.


#4

I received the information you sent and we will be looking into the issue.

Thanks.


#5

Michael - Just curious if you ever found anything? Only update I have is that I don’t necessarily think it is a Toad-specific problem; we have a user hitting this issue with a different application (Microsoft C# ODBC connector).

MSQRY works fine, so I’m guessing that both Toad and the C# connector are attempting advanced connection parameters which the Remedy driver cannot handle (similar to the BCS issue we talked about here). Unfortunately I can’t figure out which one and I don’t think they are parameters exposed to the end user. So just figured i’d post to see if you ever noticed anything which might steer me in the right direction.


#6

Hello Keeena,

Unfortunately we were unable to find the root cause of the issue as we were unable to obtain the Remedy ODBC driver. If you like we can re-run the trace files for this error and have another look.

I would suggest downloading the current TDA beta and enabling ODBC debug mode as well as enabling ODBC trace from Windows.

I’ve attached screen shots of the various configuration options.

Thanks.


#7

Hello Keeena,

Unfortunately we were unable to find the root cause of the issue as we were unable to obtain the Remedy ODBC driver. If you like we can re-run the trace files for this error and have another look.

I would suggest downloading the current TDA beta and enabling ODBC debug mode as well as enabling ODBC trace from Windows.

I’ve attached screen shots of the various configuration options.

Thanks.
odbctrace.png


#8

Hello Keeena,

Unfortunately we were unable to find the root cause of the issue as we were unable to obtain the Remedy ODBC driver. If you like we can re-run the trace files for this error and have another look.

I would suggest downloading the current TDA beta and enabling ODBC debug mode as well as enabling ODBC trace from Windows.

I’ve attached screen shots of the various configuration options.

Thanks.