TDM 6.0 fails to open GUI on Linux using Wine

Hi,

I have been using TDM 5.5 on Linux using Wine to generate DDL by invoking a Jscript file which is a simple ActiveXObject(“TDM.App”) call. After I upgraded to version 6.0 64-bit, I ran into a bug which I have posted here. The workaround provided is to use 32-bit. Now, I have run into another bug using 32-bit as well.

Issue: TDM 6.0 32-bit fails to open GUI and/or generate DLL script on Linux using Wine. It pops up an error dialog box saying “OLE error….WbemScripting.SWbemLocator”. Any action on the dialog box closes the application. Although, there were no issues with TDM 5.5

Workaround: We found a workaround, Toad 6.0 install doesn’t register a TDM.App ActiveX object. Nothing in the registry at all to indicate that such a thing exists.

Administrator command prompt

cd “\Program Files\Dell\Toad Data Modeler 6.0\Bin”

tdm /regserver

That’s for 32 bit windows build. If 64 bit windows look in Program Files (x86).

After that I saw TDM.App in registry and script ran.

Question: Is there a fix already pipelined and is this the best workaround for the issue? Please suggest ASAP as it has impacted our business and some critical tasks are stalled.

Regards,

Lalit

Hi Lalit,

try to unregistered the 64-bit version first (cd “\Program Files\Dell\Toad Data Modeler 6.0\Bin” tdm /unregserver) and re-registered 32-bit version (cd “\Program Files (x86)\Dell\Toad Data Modeler 6.0\Bin” tdm /regserver) in admin command prompt again. It should help.

David

Hi Lalit,

How did you install TDM with wine? (Which dlls, winetricks and packages etc.) Could you please post your steps. I’m trying to install it on MacOS using wine, but couldn’t manage even to your point?

Best Regards,

Hi,

It was not as simple as it looked initially, as there are couple of known bugs in wine, due to which the installer crashes while installing Toad using Wine. The workaround is to install it in Windows client and then copy the binaries to the server.

These are the simple steps to install and run TDM on Wine:

1. Install VNC viewer in client and apt-get tightvncserver
    sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install xfce4 xfce4-goodies tightvncserver

2. Establish a GUI connection to the server is made using VNC.

3. Copy and move the entire Dell folder “C:\Program Files (x86)\Dell” containing TDM binaries from client to server. I used WinSCP which is easy to use. This manual copy is required because of known bugs in wine, due to which the installer crashes while installing Toad using Wine.

4. In File Manager, browse to the Toad Data Modeler 5.5 directory, inside Bin, right click on TDM.exe and open with “Wine windows program loader”. This is just to check TDM opens up without any issues using Wine. Load a model and generate DDL script manually to confirm TDM application is working fine.