TDM crashes on Reverse Engineering

Hi there,

I am new to TDM and currently have a problem with the Reverse-Engineering feature.

With more than 1000 tables my Oracle 11g r2 database is not quite small.

When I handle just tables (no relationships etc.) everything works fine.

But when I try to include relationships as well it goes down the drain…

The Reverse-Engineering itself (reading/analyzing the tables) works fine, too; it took about 30 minutes.

But when this part is finished I got the following message:

“Last Designer of model “RE Oracle 11g Release 2” has just been closed. Do you want to close the model too?”

Doesn’t matter if I press ‘Yes’ or ‘No’ -> I got an “Access violation at address 00120A18. Read of address 0018FDC0.”

It seems, that TDM is not able to create the graphical workspace.

I see the model in the application view. Either I am able to save the model (~50 MB).

But I am not able to load the objects from the model to view them in the tree.

I do not think it is the RAM (peak ~300MB - 8GB available)

Any ideas? Is it possible to load the objects without creating the graphical part?

I have sent the EurekaLog by mail; but no response yet.

Thanks in advance.

Sascha

Hello Sascha,

When you get the message, choose No. Close the error dialog when it shows. Your model should be still displayed in Model Explorer, even when it is not graphically shown in a Designer. Right-click it and select Add Workspace.

In the shown dialog choose only some of the items in your model, to see if at least a part of your model can be displayed in Designer. Confirm by clicking OK.

You should see a newly created Workspace with the items you chose on it. If this method works, you might want to divide your big model into several Workspaces, each of them would contain a part of your model.

If you encounter an error during this process and you are not able to create a Workspace, you can send us your model for analysis at modeling@quest.com.

Regards,

Lukas

Hello Lukas,

thanks for your immediate response.

Unfortunately I am not able to see the model in the Model Explorer.

I’ll send you the model to modeling@quest.com

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards

Sascha

Hi there,

I sent my data on last Tuesday.

Are there any news on this issue?

Working with TDM is currently not possible for me :frowning:

Hi Sasha,

Thank you for your data model! There seem to be multiple issues inside the model and our developers will try to repair it for you by Monday as auto-repair does not work when there are more complex issues. We take it as an urgent case for you, I am sorry for this inconvenience!

Thank you!

Lukas

Hello Sascha,

Sorry for the delay. I have some good news for you.

There is an issue caused by an unspecific error in graphics. This error has been already fixed in the latest Beta version, so you have two options:

1. Use the latest Beta and work with your model as before (recommended)
  2. Use the repaired model I have sent you on email and work with it in TDM 5.3 as before (not recommended, the same issue may appear again in the future)
    Thank you for your patience.

Regards,

Lukas

Hello Lukas,

with the Beta everything works fine, now.

Thansk for your commitment!

Best Regards

Sascha