TDP 3.4.0.2038 SQL Server 2005 connection issue

Using Toad Data Point 3.4.0.2038, we are currently unable to connect to SQL Server 2005 (9.0.3042 and 9.0.4053) databases using Windows authentication with limited (‘read only’) privileges. We are receiving SQL Server Database Error - ‘The user does not have permission to perform this action’. We have no problem accessing these databases with SQL Server Management Studio 2008 R2 or Toad Data Point versions prior to 3.4.

I’m current researching the privileges we do have to these databases and I’m thinking the new connection parameter option with the hard coded ‘Application Name = Toad Data Point’ may be causing the problem.

Does anyone have a workaround for this issue?

Thanks in advance …

Thank you for bringing up the issue. I’ve created QAT-1344 to investigate it.

Hello Mjacquot_187,

Would it be possible to get a little more information from you? We have been unable to reproduce the issue here. Toad normally stores an ExceptionTrace.log in the applications data directory. If possible could you send this file to us? It can be easily accessed from the Help -> About dialog.

Thanks.

A new ExceptionTrace.log has been attached from a Win7 32 machine.
ExceptionTrace.log (11.8 KB)

Hello Mjacquot_187,

Thank you for the log file. We are working on isolating and resolving the issue. I will keep you posted on the progress.

Thanks.

Hello Mjacquot_187,

Is it possible to grant the View Server State permission to your user? The View Server State permission is needed because we introduced “sys.dm_db_index_usage_stats” in some of the queries and it requires this permission.

Please let me know if that helps.

Thanks.

Thanks for the info, Mr. Garza. I will request the additional permission for the problem SQL Server 2005 databases and reply back. This may take a while.

Mr. Garza -

I am no longer seeing this issue with the TDP 3.5.0.2478 beta which leads me to believe the additional ’ View Server State’ permission is no longer required for access to a SQL Server 2005 database. If that is the case, we will probably just skip general deployment of TDP 3.4 and wait for 3.5.

• MJ

I continue to have this issue with Data Point 3.4 and SQL Server 2008. This issue did not exist in versioin 3.3. Any suggestions?

To mkj_mike:

Thank you for posting in Toad World for Toad Data Point! From my current understanding, we have two different options to tackle this issue:

1. Michael Garza's suggested workaround indicates that you would need to grant "View Server State" permissions to the applicable users first. One method of doing so is using SQL Server Management Studio (pictured below).
  2. Alternatively, there have been changes in Toad Data Point 3.5 which does not exhibit this issue. Feel free to download the latest Toad Data Point 3.5 Beta! You can always find Beta postings in Toad World!
    I hope these help! Let us know if neither of these solutions were applicable to you.

-Joshua Liong

Thanks Joshua. We are in a managed server environment, so your first suggestion will likely not be possible. I will download the beta.