Team Coding Option not working, kinda

A co-worker and I both have the option set to Check Out Object on Opening, yet with Views, it isn’t until we compile them that the object gets checked out. I think this could be related to the fact that you can’t open a view from the Team Coding manager - you have to Desc, go to the script tab and then click on the button to send the script to the Editor.

Our preference would be the ability to actually be able to open the View script directly from the Team Coding Manager without all the extra clicks and keystrokes. Packages and procedures can be just dragged from the TC Manager to the Editor to open the code, or double-clicked. It would be nice if this was the case with Views as well.

Blessings,

Phyllis

Phyllis Helton

Data Magician
Digital Products & Strategies, Cru | Data Sciences & Analytics
Office :phone: 407-515-4452

phyllis.helton@cru.org

Hey Phyllis,

Thanks for the feedback! This is something we’ve talked about internally on a few occasions, and it’s something we can definitely revisit. We tried to keep things consistent within Toad so that double-clicking or dragging and dropping worked the same regardless of where the object came from. For example, if you open the Object Palette and drag a view onto the editor (or double-click it), it would only add the view’s name to the editor, rather than the source. To send the view’s source from there to the Editor, you’d have to follow the same path (Describe -> Script tab -> Copy to Editor). The Team Coding Manager behaves the same way. Similarly, if you click on the “Load Object from Database” button in the editor, it doesn’t give you the ability to directly load the source of a view. It primarily deals with PL/SQL objects.

If we decided to change this functionality, we would probably want to maintain a consistent behavior within Toad. I’ll discuss this further with Michael when he gets back from vacation and see if there’s anything else we can do.

In the meantime, you still should be able to do what you’re looking for by simply double-clicking the view in the Team Coding Manager. I just tried it on my local machine here, and it appears to be working correctly. Once you double-click the view in the TC Manager, it should open the view in the “Alter View” window, which will allow you to alter the source – it’s just not altering it in the editor.

-John

Thanks for mentioning the double-click. That will work until something better comes along. :slight_smile: I'll probably still end up using the Desc/Open Script option myself, because when I edit a view, I'm testing my SQL, so the first thing I do is comment out the Create View AS portion and then mess with my code. If there was a way to test SQL in the View Editor before committing to the changes, then this option would work perfectly.

If you all still feel very strongly about not changing the functionality of the drag, then could we maybe get an 'Open Script in Editor' button and/or right-click option in Team Coding? That could work for PL/SQL objects or Views or whatever.

In my mind, because when I'm in TCM I can drag a PL/SQL object into the editor, I would expect the same behavior for any type of object in TCM. For whatever that is worth. :slight_smile: Anything that reduces the number of steps to get my code so I can edit it is good.

Thanks John!

Blessings,

Phyllis

On Thu, Jun 23, 2016 at 12:02 PM, John Bowman bounce-jbowman@toadworld.com wrote:

RE: Team Coding Option not working, kinda

Reply by John Bowman
Hey Phyllis,

Thanks for the feedback! This is something we've talked about internally on a few occasions, and it's something we can definitely revisit. We tried to keep things consistent within Toad so that double-clicking or dragging and dropping worked the same regardless of where the object came from. For example, if you open the Object Palette and drag a view onto the editor (or double-click it), it would only add the view's name to the editor, rather than the source. To send the view's source from there to the Editor, you'd have to follow the same path (Describe -> Script tab -> Copy to Editor). The Team Coding Manager behaves the same way. Similarly, if you click on the "Load Object from Database" button in the editor, it doesn't give you the ability to directly load the source of a view. It primarily deals with PL/SQL objects.

If we decided to change this functionality, we would probably want to maintain a consistent behavior within Toad. I'll discuss this further with Michael when he gets back from vacation and see if there's anything else we can do.

In the meantime, you still should be able to do what you're looking for by simply double-clicking the view in the Team Coding Manager. I just tried it on my local machine here, and it appears to be working correctly. Once you double-click the view in the TC Manager, it should open the view in the "Alter View" window, which will allow you to alter the source -- it's just not altering it in the editor.

-John

To reply, please reply-all to this email.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Or Unsubscribe from Toad for Oracle - Beta Forum notifications altogether.

Toad for Oracle - Beta Discussion Forum

Flag this post as spam/abuse.

--
Phyllis Helton

Data Magician
Digital Products & Strategies, Cru | Data Sciences & Analytics
Office :phone: 407-515-4452

phyllis.helton@cru.org