Text highlighting in TOAD 12.12

In 12.11 it was highlighted like this:

TOAD_12_11.png

In 12.12 it is like this:

TOAD_12_12.png

Is there a setting somewhere I need to alter so I don’t see a yellow block?

You can change syntax decoration options on the Editor|Font and Styling page in Options.

Did you change your Editor default font color between 12.11 and 12.12 to make it lighter? The yellow block is controlled by the “Search Match” Global style. You can set it to match your window background color or increase the transparency to 100%. If you’d like to retain the feature, but have it work better with your default font color then either pick a new Search Match color or try moving the transparency up to something pretty high. 71% is the default value.

Thanks,

Michael

I did not change anything on the new version. It just works differently. Thanks for pointing out where I can change it. I don’t like any of the “Transparency” options in 12.12. If I set it to 0 in 12.11 I can read it just fine, If I do that in 12.12 I get a block of yellow that obscures the text. Increasing the transparency helps somewhat, but is washed out. I will stick with 12.11 for a while.

This reminds me of when we lost the code bracketing in 12.6 that tied IF/END IF, LOOP/ END LOOP and BEGIN/END statements together. We still have people using 12.6 because they love that feature.

I have begged for the code bracketing to be put back as well. I’ve got a team of developers that protested that loss of functionality by switching to SQL Developer. It didn’t last long, but it would be great if it could be put back. I posted in the enhancement area to have this added back…

I also miss the lines that used to extend from the start of the block to the end of the block in the code. The current lines are in the gutter and the they overlap so you can’t visually see where nested blocks start and stop.

Thanks,

David

p.s. sorry to highjack your thread.

From: john.ouimette [mailto:bounce-johnouimette@toadworld.com]

Sent: Wednesday, October 18, 2017 10:25 AM

To: toadoracle@toadworld.com

Subject: [External Email] RE: [Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum] Text highlighting in TOAD 12.12

EXTERNAL EMAIL

RE: Text highlighting in TOAD 12.12

Reply by john.ouimette

I did not change anything on the new version. It just works differently. Thanks for pointing out where I can change it. I don’t like any of the “Transparency” options in 12.12. If I set it to 0 in 12.11 I can read it just fine, If I do that in 12.12 I get a block of yellow that obscures the text. Increasing the transparency helps somewhat, but is washed out. I will stick with 12.11 for a while.

This reminds me of when we lost the code bracketing in 12.6 that tied IF/END IF, LOOP/ END LOOP and BEGIN/END statements together. We still have people using 12.6 because they love that feature.

To reply, please reply-all to this email.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Or
Unsubscribe from Toad for Oracle Forum
notifications altogether.

Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

***** This email is from an external sender outside of the CenterPoint Energy network. Be cautious about clicking links or opening attachments from unknown sources. *****

I've not encountered this before other than when the default font color and search color are so close that the text cannot be distinguished. In your screenshot I can still see the text behind, faintly, which is why I thought maybe your Default font color has been changed to something like silver instead of black.

Can you send me 3 more things...

1. A screenshot of the same text in 12.11 and 12.12 that does not have a text selection.
  2. Your EditorLexers.xml file from both 12.11 and 12.12. This file stores all syntax decoration settings. I'd like to run them locally to look for problems/corruption within or upgrade issues. It's located in your appdata user files folder which is located by default here...
  3. 12.11... C:\Users%USERNAME%\AppData\Roaming\Quest Software\Toad for Oracle\12.11\User Files
  4. 12.12... C:\Users%USERNAME%\AppData\Roaming\Quest Software\Toad for Oracle\12.12\User Files

You can email to me at michaelstaszewskiquest.com

We still have people using 12.6 because they love that feature.

I realize this was a big loss for some and these users will remain on older versions for quite some time, unfortunately. It's no small undertaking to reintroduce that feature and doing so could put us into a one-off situation from the base edit control making future upgrades to it nearly impossible. As it stands now we have very few custom changes to the edit control which puts us in a better position to stay up to date with bug fixes and enhancements.

There are several visual aids to identify blocks of code.

1. The folding margin highlights all active blocks in red by default
  2. Vertical lines at tab stops - this is useful if you use uniform indenting to format at tab stops
  3. Highlighting of all major tokens within the block.
    All three of these features are visible below. For this reason restoring the block "staples" of old is very low on the priority list.

2630.Capture.png

Thanks,

Michael

Thanks for working with me offline, John. There is an issue when low transparency is used for the Search Match style to achieve the deep contrast you have going on. There is a workaround to increase the Search Match transparency to something moderately high like 50%, 70%, etc. The default setting is 71% for that style. It’s not a complete fix and the text does still have a bit of a washed out effect as you note, but it makes it legible. I’ve logged this.

Thanks,

Michael