Toad 12.1 doesn't preserve last used directory in Editor

Toad doesn’t preserve the last used directory if I use Open/Save commands in a new tab.It seems this is a defect in the new GA, but this function works normally in 12.0 version.

T.

We’ll I do not know if this has something with mine complaint, but I wanted that to be exactly what now bothers you. Please read www.toadworld.com/…/20224.aspx about that.

Frankly I do not know id that fits your ask.

No, I think these are two separate issues.

Damir’s issue is something we have seen for a long time; we also regularly rename a directory after saving a file into it from Toad’s editor, and this requires either shutting down Toad or loading a file from some other directory first (so the current dir changes).

What drbubo mentions is a new issue, which we have started seeing in v 12.0, 12.01 and 12.1. And this is potentially quite dangerous. We have already accidentally overwritten versions of files several times (so far we’ve luckily been able to restore them all).

I have tried making an easily recreatable scenario to show it, but haven’t succeeded yet.

But in general it happens after having edited different versions of a package and saving them in separate directories. At some point, when you “save as” one of them again, it will overwrite the wrong version, i.e. even if the (fancy new) save file dialog shows that you are navigating to the directory you want, the file ends up in the other directory.

It is possible that the closest parent directories also have to have the same name for the issue to show up. E.g. this is a normal situation here: <dir1>\code\xxx.pkb and <dir2>\code\xx.pkb

Hope these clues can help finding and fixing a bug which currently keeps us a bit on the edges of our seats ;-).

Best regards,

Niels

I’ve got the same problem. Every time I want to save a new file, TOAD wants to put it on my Desktop.

Ah, right, that’s yet another annoying thing about it. I just saved out the code of a number of packages from a database, and I had to select my way down to the directory I wanted to put them in for each and every one.

Best regards,

Niels

In this case each time you open the save dialog it's not going back to the previously selected folder?

On Sep 30, 2013, at 9:50 AM, "Niels Bache" bounce-nbache@toadworld.com wrote:

RE: Toad 12.1 doesn't preserve last used directory in Editor

Reply by Niels Bache
Ah, right, that's yet another annoying thing about it. I just saved out the code of a number of packages from a database, and I had to select my way down to the directory I wanted to put them in for each and every one.

Best regards,

Niels

To reply, please reply-all to this email.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Or
Unsubscribe from Toad for Oracle - General
notifications altogether.

Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

“In this case each time you open the save dialog it’s not going back to the previously selected folder?”

Exactly.

My workaround at the moment is to make heavy use of the Favourite Folders - but it’s a real nuisance.

Hi DanCJ,

The issue you and Neil are describing here appears to be a bug in the new dialog in Toad 12.1. It looks like it was accidentally introduced about a month ago.
It’s a very easy fix. I’ll get that updated for the first beta of Toad.next.

The issue DrBubo is experiencing is, I believe, a different issue. We’re still looking into what might be causing what you’re seeing.

Thanks for letting us know about this one.

-John

Sent: Monday, September 30, 2013 9:02 AM

To: toadoracle@toadworld.com

Subject: RE: [Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum] Toad 12.1 doesn’t preserve last used directory in Editor

RE: Toad 12.1 doesn’t preserve last used directory in Editor

Reply by DanCJ

I’ve got the same problem. Every time I want to save a new file, TOAD wants to put it on my Desktop.

Or

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

Hmm… Based on some further testing, I believe the following three issues are indeed the same issue:

From DrBubo’s post:

Ø
Toad doesn’t preserve the last used directory if I use Open/Save commands in a
new tab. It seems this is a defect in the new GA, but this function works normally in 12.0 version.

From Dan’s post:

Ø
I’ve got the same problem.
Every time I want to save a new file, TOAD wants to put it on my Desktop.

From Neil’s most recent post:

Ø
Ah, right, that’s yet another annoying thing about it. I just saved out the code of a number of packages from a database, and
I had to select my way down to the directory I wanted to put them in for each and every one.

I believe the key on these three issues is that they were all “new” files. (Neil, I suspect the packages from the database were packages you loaded directly
from the DB and hadn’t yet been saved. Is this correct?) If so, this issue has already been fixed for the first beta.

The other issue you mentioned, Neil, is a bit more unusual:

Ø
But in general it happens after having edited different versions of a package and saving them in separate directories. At some point, when you “save
as” one of them again, it will overwrite the wrong version, i.e. even if the (fancy new) save file dialog shows that you are navigating to the directory you want, the file ends up in the other directory.

This issue I’m not able to reproduce. If I’m reading this correctly, it sounds like you’ve already saved each of the files previously – going back and forth
between the two – and somewhere in the mix, the directory gets incorrectly mapped for the currently-selected tab and the wrong file gets overwritten? Is this what you’re experiencing, Neil?

-John

Sent: Monday, September 30, 2013 10:12 AM

Subject: RE: [Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum] Toad 12.1 doesn’t preserve last used directory in Editor

Reply by John Bowman

Hi DanCJ,

The issue you and Neil are describing here appears to be a bug in the new dialog in Toad 12.1. It looks like it was accidentally introduced about a month ago.
It’s a very easy fix. I’ll get that updated for the first beta of Toad.next.

The issue DrBubo is experiencing is, I believe, a different issue. We’re still looking into what might be causing what you’re seeing.

Thanks for letting us know about this one.

-John

Sent: Monday, September 30, 2013 9:02 AM

Reply by DanCJ

Or

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

Or

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

My apologies! I just realized my previous posts should have said “Niels”, not “Neil”. My brain processed that completely wrong.

Sorry about that Niels. I hope I didn’t offend – I certainly didn’t mean to.
J

-John

No problem, Jon :wink: (I don’t get offended, I get even :-D).

To answer your previous question: Yes, that is what I have seen happen.

And most likely I did in each case start by loading the package from the database. That would fit with our normal usage.

And it was definitely the case with my last example above.

Best regards,

Niels