Toad 12.7.0.40 beta

Hi guys,

I’m always using beta version for last 1,5 years…just to see new things.
Until now I was pretty satisfied and in general term all was OK.And I enjoyed a lot.

But the latest version (Toad 12.7.0.40 x64) beta is really not for longer use. In mine case editor hang the whole Toad in 45-120 minutes. This means I have to return to Toad 12.6 and work there.

I knew that something new is added in Editor, but this version is far from alfa and not a beta, in this state as it was released.
8(

Looking forward to get newer release ASAP.
Brg,
Damir

Sorry, haven’t seen before…I just installed 12.7.0.41 … hope will be much better in this part …

Thanks for upgrading. Unless there's some special circumstance we release every Monday and Thursday. A lot has been going on in the Editor in recent months so it's good to stay current. Being one of the more active beta users it's nice to have you on the latest
version when possible so that feedback is current. Our release notes may be light at times, but a lot of changes are made each release often times addressing issues that we find that haven't been reported on the boards.

Is there anything in particular you can provide about the hanging? Were you editing text, invoking code insight, loading files or database objects? Was it accompanied by any error message? Was this in a very large file/database object? Do you have any character
case effects enabled (i.e. are any of your styles character case set to upper/lower case in the editor Font and Styling options)? Do you have Available Variables or Expected Tokens checked in Code Insight options? These features add additional load when editing
text and a bug there could result in a complete hang since they observe editor modifications and execute in the main thread. Processing time occupied by them means delayed response for other actions you're trying to accomplish. When all is working properly
the delay should be undetectable.

Thanks,

Michael

On 02/10/2015 09:06 AM, Damir Vadas wrote:

RE: Toad 12.7.0.40 beta

Reply by Damir Vadas
Sorry, haven't seen before....I just installed 12.7.0.41 ... hope will be much better in this part ...

To reply, please reply-all to this email.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Or
Unsubscribe from Toad for Oracle - Beta
notifications altogether.

Toad for Oracle - Beta Discussion Forum

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

Hi,

I think there is a problem (still) with Editor when type rate is quick (the most quick settings in Windows)…it just freezes on normal scroll.

And when working with scripts (more native SQL options/commands in it-set this … spool etc…) then on more text it freeze as well.

However Editor freeze much less than before-12.7.0.40.

Last thing I see is when open a script with blanks in Editor Toad ask if I want to split file … maybe it has something with some other settings but it shows on mine conf only when script has blank lines.

Hope it helps,

Damir

with Editor when type rate is quick (the most quick settings in Windows)...it just freezes on normal scroll.

Do you mean just typing or holding down keys? If just typing, what Windows settings are you referring to? If holding down keys do mean adjust these setting to the shortest delay/fastest rate? I'll leave them set fast/short delay for now.

maybe it has something with some other settings but it shows on mine conf only when script has blank lines.

Does your script also have forward slash on a line by itself? Toad uses forward slash and the Toad file splitting tags as triggers to prompt for split. If neither of these apply to you send me a sample script and I'll look. michael.staszewskiquest.com

If you have a scenario that reproduces this somewhat easily and if you have a moment to try something in the next beta (12.7.0.42) I'd appreciate it. I've added a hidden INI option, DISABLE_OBSERVERS, that can be added to the [EDITOR_SETTINGS] section in Toad.ini. With Toad closed add DISABLE_OBSERVERS=1 to that section. Start Toad and reproduce the problem. Let me know if you still see it or not. That INI key disables features of the editor that observe editor behavior (caret position change, keystrokes, focus change, etc.) These features include... automatic display of Code Insight, parameter completion, character case effects, auto replace, dynamic highlighting of matching tokens, and display of red program separator lines above package functions and procedures. Don't forget to remove that INI key when done!

Thanks,
Michael

On 02/10/2015 02:43 PM, Damir Vadas wrote:

Reply by Damir Vadas
Hi,

I think there is a problem (still) with Editor when type rate is quick (the most quick settings in Windows)...it just freezes on normal scroll.

And when working with scripts (more native SQL options/commands in it-set this ... spool etc...) then on more text it freeze as well.

Last thing I see is when open a script with blanks in Editor Toad ask if I want to split file ... maybe it has something with some other settings but it shows on mine conf only when script has blank lines.

Hope it helps,

Damir

Or Unsubscribe from Toad for Oracle - Beta notifications altogether.

Flag this post as spam/abuse.

Damir, one more thought. In editor options, on the font and styling tab click restore defaults. This will reset coloring options only. There were bugs several weeks back that caused invalid values to be written to the xml file and those invalid settings
were sent to the edit component. For one user, at least, this was causing sluggishness.

On Feb 10, 2015, at 2:43 PM, Damir Vadas bounce-damirvadas_250@toadworld.com wrote:

Reply by Damir Vadas
Hi,

I think there is a problem (still) with Editor when type rate is quick (the most quick settings in Windows)...it just freezes on normal scroll.

And when working with scripts (more native SQL options/commands in it-set this ... spool etc...) then on more text it freeze as well.

Last thing I see is when open a script with blanks in Editor Toad ask if I want to split file ... maybe it has something with some other settings but it shows on mine conf only when script has blank lines.

Hope it helps,

Damir

Or

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

>Do you mean just typing or holding down keys? If just typing, what Windows settings are you referring to? If holding down keys do mean adjust these setting to the shortest delay/fastest rate? I’ll leave them set fast/short delay for now.
Yes-exactly. Holding down arrow keys for longer time cause and editor to freeze… I have the same keyboard settings in Windows as on the picture.

>Does your script also have forward slash on a line by itself?
Yes at the end script there are few lines but doesn’t matter if you open as sql or PLSQL script.

>If you have a scenario that reproduces this somewhat easily and if you have a moment to try something in the next beta (12.7.0.42) I’d appreciate it.
Random and looks like when cursor (or huge amount text is pasted) very quick in short time.

>DISABLE_OBSERVERS=1did help-now Toad can survive for more that a day. But still this is far form stable editor…sorry.

Br
Damir

did help-now Toad can survive for more that a day.

If DISABLE_OBSERVERS didn't resolve it completely then it's likely just a coincidence that it seemed to help. There's a core problem here that's eluding me. The actions that are causing the hang have not reproduced it for me during numerous attempts. A big
difference between us is that you're using Toad for long periods and I'm attempting to reproduce an issue in a short period. I hope that time is not the missing factor. That will make it more difficult to reproduce and isolate. We have some automated tests
that run on Toad and are considering expanding them to include scrolling actions specifically for this issue.

[

A suggestion I posted last week](http://www.toadworld.com/products/toad-for-oracle/toad_for_oracle_beta_program/f/86/p/23795/51920.aspx#51920) is to make sure your font and styling options are restored to default settings. After doing so you can then re-apply any tweaks you've made to them. There were several bugs in this code that caused invalid options to be written
to the config file passed to the edit control. These have since been resolved, but I did not put any code in place to correct this for existing beta users since it will be a non-issue in GA. I do have defensive code in place that should prevent bad settings
from causing problems; however, I may have missed something. Try restoring your font and styling options and see if that makes any difference.

Michael

On 02/16/2015 12:23 PM, Damir Vadas wrote:

Reply by Damir Vadas
>Do you mean just typing or holding down keys? If just typing, what Windows settings are you referring to? If holding down keys do mean adjust these setting to the shortest delay/fastest rate? I'll leave them set fast/short delay for now.

Yes-exactly. Holding down arrow keys for longer time cause and editor to freeze.. I have the same keyboard settings in Windows as on the picture.

>Does your script also have forward slash on a line by itself?

Yes at the end script there are few lines but doesn't matter if you open as sql or PLSQL script.

>If you have a scenario that reproduces this somewhat easily and if you have a moment to try something in the next beta (12.7.0.42) I'd appreciate it.

Random and looks like when cursor (or huge amount text is pasted) very quick in short time.

*>DISABLE_OBSERVERS=1
*did help-now Toad can survive for more that a day. But still this is far form stable editor...sorry.

*Br

Damir

Or

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

Hi,

Installed 12.7.0.43.

Reset Fonts colors options as you said and return parameters “DISABLE_OBSERVERS=0”

Toad survived 1 day without crash - this is really a huge progress, so seems that trick with reset worked.

Brg

Damir

Good. Keep me posted. I mentioned it before, but I suspect not everyone reset the font and styling options as suggested. I should probably just change the config
filename to force a refresh for next beta and see what comes of it.

From: Damir Vadas [mailto:bounce-damirvadas_250@toadworld.com]

Sent: Wednesday, February 18, 2015 5:10 PM

To: toadoraclebeta@toadworld.com

Subject: RE: [Toad for Oracle - Beta Discussion Forum] Toad 12.7.0.40 beta

Reply by Damir Vadas

Hi,

Installed 12.7.0.43.

Reset Fonts colors options as you said and return parameters “DISABLE_OBSERVERS=0”

Toad survived 1 day without crash - this is really a huge progress, so seems that trick with reset worked.

Brg

Damir

Or

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

Michael,

FYI, mine profile was upgraded from 11.6 version, only by Toad (copy user settings and than later export/import user settings) and never touched manually.

So I find it pretty clear one.

Brg

Damir

Ø
profile was upgraded from 11.6 version

Your styling options were not migrated. There is no upgrade logic to convert the old to the new.

From: Damir Vadas [mailto:bounce-damirvadas_250@toadworld.com]

Sent: Thursday, February 19, 2015 3:07 AM

To: toadoraclebeta@toadworld.com

Subject: RE: [Toad for Oracle - Beta Discussion Forum] Toad 12.7.0.40 beta

Reply by Damir Vadas

Michael,

FYI, mine profile was upgraded from 11.6 version, only by Toad (copy user settings and than later export/import user settings) and never touched manually.

So I find it pretty clear one.

Brg

Damir

Or

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.