Toad 12 and higher crash with no error when using multiple Database connections that have idle timeouts on them

After one connection times out (because I’m working on a different database connection for while), then clicking on ANY tab that is associated with the timed-out connection, will cause toad to completely crash and disappear (from the Windows taskbar and Windows Task Manager) without even displaying any error messages. Unsaved work is lost. This is really bad because of the lost work issue but it is also really bad because it doesn’t even leave you with any error to refer to or report to DELL Software.

Is this a known issue? How can I make it known to Dell so they will fix it?

Some people seem to have reported a very similar issue at post http://www.toadworld.com/products/toad-for-oracle/f/10/t/22401.aspx

Are more People having this issue? I can reproduce it on multiple machines?

We’ve tried many times to reproduce these connection loss issues with little success. Pulling network cables, releasing IP address, waiting for db timeout, etc. For me I always get connection loss error messages. What tab are you clicking? Editor, Schema Browser, window or connection button on the main toolbar?

Michael

We’ve tried many times to reproduce these connection loss issues with little success. Pulling network cables, releasing IP address, waiting for db timeout,
etc. For me I always get connection loss error messages. What tab are you clicking? Editor, Schema Browser, window or connection button on the main toolbar?

Michael

Sent: Friday, August 22, 2014 12:32 AM

To: toadoracle@toadworld.com

Subject: [Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum] Toad 12 and higher crash with no error when using multiple Database connections that have idle timeouts on them

Toad 12 and higher crash with no error when using multiple Database connections that have idle timeouts on them

Thread created by dcox2524

After one connection times out (because I’m working on a different database connection for while), then clicking on ANY tab that is associated with the timed-out connection, will cause toad
to completely crash and disappear (from the Windows taskbar and Windows Task Manager) without even displaying any error messages. Unsaved work is lost. This is really bad because of the lost work issue but it is also really bad because it doesn’t even leave
you with any error to refer to or report to DELL Software.

Is this a known issue? How can I make it known to Dell so they will fix it?

To reply, please reply-all to this email.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Or
Unsubscribe from Toad for Oracle - General
notifications altogether.

Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

At one time I had a support ticket in with Dell Software to fix this issue. The problem was that, at that time I did not have time to try to figure out what the specific steps were that would reproduce this problem. Today, I finally took the time to come up with the steps to reproduce this problem. The only bad thing is that I was not able to reproduce the problem on my co-worker’s computer even though he has had the same problem as I am describing. For him, the problem seemed to clear up after upgrading to 12.5.1.1. For me the problem persists even after upgrading to 12.5.1.1. I have this problem on version 12.5.1.1 on both my laptop and my desktop.

Below are the “steps to reproduce” that consistently crash toad on both of my machines.

–Oracle Database 11.2.0.3

–2-Node RAC running on Linux

–tried against the following test between two different databases and results did not change between databases

–reproduced on Toad for Oracle - Expert Edition 12.5.0.99 with DB Admin Module Add-on (My machine)

–reproduced on Toad for Oracle - Expert Edition 12.5.1.1 with DB Admin Module Add-on (My machine)

–could not reproduce on Toad for Oracle - Expert Edition 12.5.1.1 with DB Admin Module Add-on (co-worker’s machine)

–Limiting Other Resources (idle timeout)

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/network.112/e36292/users.htm#DBSEG20024

"Note:

Oracle Database does not constantly monitor the elapsed idle time or elapsed connection time

Doing so reduces system performance. Instead, it checks every few minutes. Therefore, a session

can exceed this limit slightly (for example, by 5 minutes) before Oracle Database enforces the limit and terminates the session."

–sniped session status

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e40402/dynviews_3016.htm#REFRN30223

"SNIPED - An inactive session that has exceeded some configured limits (for example, resource limits specified for the resource

manager consumer group or idle_time specified in the user’s profile). Such sessions will not be allowed to become active again."

–DROP PROFILE TOAD_TIMEOUT_CRASH_TEST_PROFIL CASCADE;

CREATE PROFILE TOAD_TIMEOUT_CRASH_TEST_PROFIL LIMIT

SESSIONS_PER_USER 10

CPU_PER_SESSION UNLIMITED

CPU_PER_CALL UNLIMITED

CONNECT_TIME 1440

IDLE_TIME 1

LOGICAL_READS_PER_SESSION UNLIMITED

LOGICAL_READS_PER_CALL UNLIMITED

COMPOSITE_LIMIT UNLIMITED

PRIVATE_SGA UNLIMITED

FAILED_LOGIN_ATTEMPTS 6

PASSWORD_LIFE_TIME 90

PASSWORD_REUSE_TIME 9999

PASSWORD_REUSE_MAX 9999

PASSWORD_LOCK_TIME 9999

PASSWORD_GRACE_TIME 3

PASSWORD_VERIFY_FUNCTION null;

–DROP USER TOAD_CRASH_TEST_USER CASCADE;

CREATE USER TOAD_CRASH_TEST_USER

IDENTIFIED BY toadcrashes

DEFAULT TABLESPACE USERS

TEMPORARY TABLESPACE TEMP

PROFILE TOAD_TIMEOUT_CRASH_TEST_PROFIL

ACCOUNT UNLOCK;

– 1 Roles for TOAD_CRASH_TEST_USER

ALTER USER TOAD_CRASH_TEST_USER DEFAULT ROLE ALL;

– 1 System Privilege for TOAD_CRASH_TEST_USER

GRANT UNLIMITED TABLESPACE TO TOAD_CRASH_TEST_USER;

GRANT CREATE SESSION TO TOAD_CRASH_TEST_USER;

– 1 set Toad to automatically open a schema browser window and an editor window for new connections

– 2 set the editor window to be the last window to be opened so that it will be the window that has focus (by default) after a new connection is made

– 3 set “Execute queries in threads” to ENABLED (in the “Oracle / Transactions” section of the Toad Options settings).

– 4 set “Show only buttons for the current connection on Window Bar” to DISABLED (in the “Toolbars/Menus / Toolbar” section of the Toad Options settings)

– 5 close Toad

– 6 open Toad

– 7 login as TOAD_CRASH_TEST_USER/toadcrashes

– 8 Using the same toad.exe instance as in step 7, login a second time to the same database using another account that has enough privileges to query gv$session view manually (or using Toad Session Browser)

– 9 View the “status” of TOAD_CRASH_TEST_USER session(s) using Toad Session Browser from the login that you performed in step 7 within the same toad.exe instance

– or

– by running the following query from the login that you performed in step 7 within the same toad.exe instance

select * from gv$session

where username = 'TOAD_CRASH_TEST_USER'

;

– 10 Keep querying / refreshing the data in step 9 until all of the all sessions from the TOAD_CRASH_TEST_USER user to change to “SNIPED” status (meaning the idle session timeout has occurred and that users sessions have been disconnected)

– 11 After all of TOAD_CRASH_TEST_USER’s database sessions are in “SNIPED” status, click on the “editor” window from the TOAD_CRASH_TEST_USER’s session. (Do not click on the editor window of the NON-“TOAD_CRASH_TEST_USER” session that you are using to view the session statuses. That will not trigger the crash.)

It appears to be the SWITCHING OF FOCUS from a Toad window that is associated with an ACTIVE / INACTIVE session OVER TO a Toad window that is associated with a session that is in SNIPED status that triggers the crash.

I would advise adding your sqlnet.ora file settings as some of those optional values can interact with the above - so we need to see those too.

Actually since you are on a RAC system a copy of your tnsnames.ora would be useful too.

I have some of the same issues, although it does not always occur. Sometimes TOAD will hang for a minute or so and then return with a connection lost message, other times it may hang so long I have to kill TOAD thru task manager and restart it.

I followed your steps and it works as expected for me. You’ll need to post your sqlnet.ora and tnsnames.ora settings as Bert requested. You can also send your Toad.ini to me offline (michael.staszewskiquest.com). There might be something related to Toad options. When I click in the Editor there are no queries being executed. Are you using Team Coding? Team Coding refreshes when you activate the Editor, but shouldn’t be doing anything if the Editor is empty.

Hi Guys,

I’ve same issue that Toad crashes all together if you open multiple databases at least 2-3. It disappears from the windows task bar altogether without throwing any error.

My SQLNET.ora is

SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES= (NTS)

NAMES.DIRECTORY_PATH= (TNSNAMES, EZCONNECT)

And TNSNAMES.ORA is massive huge as it has lot of entries which I don’t use. one of the entries is

RMDTWO =

(DESCRIPTION =

(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = D010283.corp.ads)(PORT = 41521))

(CONNECT_DATA =

(SERVER = DEDICATED)

(SERVICE_NAME = RMDTWO.corp.ads)

)

)