Toad Crash - Recover Documents

As we work on the TOAD crash, I’ve discovered the the Recover Documents doesn’t do the best job of recovering currently. Here is what I’ve found is happening is this:

1. Files that have a filename that are open and unchanged are showing up in the Recover Documents
  2. Files that have a filename that are open and changed are not showing up in the Recover Documents
  3. Tabs that have been recovered from a previous Recover Documents that were opened but unchanged no longer show up in Recover Documents
  4. Tabs that are new and unnamed do show up in recover documents.
    Basically, #4 is the only behavior that I would expect from this. #s 1-3 are things I hope can be fixed. :slight_smile:

I’m actually excited to have had this most recent crash (trying to find the positive in it), because now I’ve finally figured out what files are actually missing when I try to recover my documents. Hopefully these are easy to fix now that you know what is wrong so this feature will be helpful again.

I do apologize if this has been identified and fixed in the latest version of the beta. I am again behind by a version, having meant to update it today, but haven’t had a chance to do that yet.

Blessings,

Phyllis

Phyllis Helton

Data Magician
Digital Strategies, Cru | Data Sciences & Analytics
Office :phone: 407-515-4452

phyllis.helton@cru.org

I started from a fresh set of user files so my setup is probably not ideal, but here’s what I’m seeing when I restart after killing Toad.

Not showing

Showing

Not showing when I restart Toad, but it shouldn’t be. If the file has already been recovered and not modified you’ll not be prompted on next Toad start
for this file again. However, it should be visible if you go to File|Recover Documents if that’s what you’re referring to. If you do that is it visible?

Do you see the correct items in the User Files~EditorBackups.txt file? Also check out ~EditorBackupsPrompted.txt. That file stores the list of backup files (temp
files in User Files) that contain your backed up editor contents that you’ve been prompted to recover. Any items listed in there will not show by default when Toad starts. If anything happens to the temp files then you’ll not be able to recover and perhaps
not prompted at all.

From: phyllis.helton_1150 [mailto:bounce-phyllishelton_1150@toadworld.com]

Sent: Monday, February 16, 2015 4:07 PM

To: toadoraclebeta@toadworld.com

Subject: [Toad for Oracle - Beta Discussion Forum] Toad Crash - Recover Documents

Thread created by phyllis.helton_1150

As we work on the TOAD crash, I’ve discovered the the Recover Documents doesn’t do the best job of recovering currently. Here is what I’ve found is happening is this:

1. Files that have a filename that are open and
    unchanged are showing up in the Recover Documents
  2. Files that have a filename that are open and
    changed are not showing up in the Recover Documents
  3. Tabs that have been recovered from a previous Recover Documents that were opened but unchanged no longer show up in Recover Documents
    Basically, #4 is the only behavior that I would expect from this. #s 1-3 are things I hope can be fixed. :slight_smile:

I’m actually excited to have had this most recent crash (trying to find the positive in it), because now I’ve finally figured out what files are actually missing when I try to
recover my documents. Hopefully these are easy to fix now that you know what is wrong so this feature will be helpful again.

I do apologize if this has been identified and fixed in the latest version of the beta. I am again behind by a version, having meant to update it today, but haven’t had a chance
to do that yet.

Blessings,

Phyllis

Phyllis Helton

Data Magician

phyllis.helton@cru.org

To reply, please reply-all to this email.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Or
Unsubscribe from Toad for Oracle - Beta
notifications altogether.

Toad for Oracle - Beta Discussion Forum

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

Hmm. You are getting the opposite of what I am. And I am not seeing #3 in Recover Documents once I've opened them from there, in fact the ones it opened just now from the crash are missing, except the ones with file names.

Let me get the newest beta installed and I'll let you know if this behavior changes. . .

On Mon, Feb 16, 2015 at 4:40 PM, Michael Staszewski bounce-mstaszew@toadworld.com wrote:

RE: Toad Crash - Recover Documents

Reply by Michael Staszewski
I started from a fresh set of user files so my setup is probably not ideal, but here's what I'm seeing when I restart after killing Toad.

Not showing

Showing

Not showing when I restart Toad, but it shouldn't be. If the file has already been recovered and not modified you'll not be prompted on next Toad start
for this file again. However, it should be visible if you go to File|Recover Documents if that's what you're referring to. If you do that is it visible?

Do you see the correct items in the User Files~EditorBackups.txt file? Also check out ~EditorBackupsPrompted.txt. That file stores the list of backup files (temp
files in User Files) that contain your backed up editor contents that you've been prompted to recover. Any items listed in there will not show by default when Toad starts. If anything happens to the temp files then you'll not be able to recover and perhaps
not prompted at all.

From: phyllis.helton_1150 [mailto:bounce-phyllishelton_1150@toadworld.com]

Sent: Monday, February 16, 2015 4:07 PM

To: toadoraclebeta@toadworld.com

Subject: [Toad for Oracle - Beta Discussion Forum] Toad Crash - Recover Documents

Thread created by phyllis.helton_1150

As we work on the TOAD crash, I've discovered the the Recover Documents doesn't do the best job of recovering currently. Here is what I've found is happening is this:

1. Files that have a filename that are open and
    unchanged are showing up in the Recover Documents
  2. Files that have a filename that are open and
    changed are not showing up in the Recover Documents

I'm actually excited to have had this most recent crash (trying to find the positive in it), because now I've finally figured out what files are actually missing when I try to
recover my documents. Hopefully these are easy to fix now that you know what is wrong so this feature will be helpful again.

I do apologize if this has been identified and fixed in the latest version of the beta. I am again behind by a version, having meant to update it today, but haven't had a chance
to do that yet.

Blessings,

Phyllis

--

Phyllis Helton

Data Magician

phyllis.helton@cru.org

Or
Unsubscribe from Toad for Oracle - Beta
notifications altogether.

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

Or Unsubscribe from Toad for Oracle - Beta notifications altogether.

Flag this post as spam/abuse.

--
Phyllis Helton

Data Magician

phyllis.helton@cru.org