TOAD for Oracle 12.6.0.53 won't save my password

Group,

I’m experiencing a problem with TOAD for Oracle saving my current password. This is not an issue I’ve experienced before. We do change passwords every 3 months and the last few times have not been a problem. However I’ve entered my new password in this time and it won’t save. I’m having to manually enter it in each time - which prevents the automation I have set up from running. Is there a way to fix this?

In advance, thanks for your help.

Don

Hi Donlad,

Even I am facing the same problem, for me all my session information are also not getting saved.

I tried to copy all files containing my session information from applications/toad folder of application drive and save it some where as they are not autosaved in the same place and try to place everyday when I start my SDOD

When you say you are entering a new password, what exactly are you doing? Are you just entering the new password in the connections window and not making a connection? Are you entering the new password in the connections field and then hitting “connect” and successfully making the connection? Are you entering the old PW then getting presented with a second dialog to enter your new PW? Toad will only save your password if you enter it directly into the connections window (not the secondary dialog if the initial connection is not made) and the connection is successful.

From: donald.wilson [mailto:bounce-donaldwilson@toadworld.com]

Sent: Thursday, November 19, 2015 7:10 AM

To: toadoracle@toadworld.com

Subject: [Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum] TOAD for Oracle 12.6.0.53 won’t save my password

TOAD for Oracle 12.6.0.53 won’t save my password

Thread created by donald.wilson

Group,

I’m experiencing a problem with TOAD for Oracle saving my current password. This is not an issue I’ve experienced before. We do change passwords every 3 months and the last few times have not been a problem. However I’ve entered my new password in this time and it won’t save. I’m having to manually enter it in each time - which prevents the automation I have set up from running. Is there a way to fix this?

In advance, thanks for your help.

Don

To reply, please reply-all to this email.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Or
Unsubscribe from Toad for Oracle - General
notifications altogether.

Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

Brad, I am entering in the new password. The connections to the database are being made with this new password. However my automated scripts are not running.

Please explain what you mean by “automated scripts”

Sent: Tuesday, November 24, 2015 8:10 AM

Subject: RE: [Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum] TOAD for Oracle 12.6.0.53 won’t save my password

RE: TOAD for Oracle 12.6.0.53 won’t save my password

Reply by donald.wilson

Brad, I am entering in the new password. The connections to the database are being made with this new password. However my automated scripts are not running.

Or

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

Brad, I’m using the “Automation Designer” to set up some routines to run at specific times of the day.

The Toad session you used to change the password, has it been closed yet? Toad might not commit pw changes until the application is actually closed.

If that’s not it, I suggest opening one of the automation actions that is associated with this connection in question and re-select it from the session dropdown within the action properties. Save the action and then see if it works.

Sent: Tuesday, December 01, 2015 8:29 AM

Subject: RE: [Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum] TOAD for Oracle 12.6.0.53 won’t save my password

Reply by donald.wilson

Brad, I’m using the “Automation Designer” to set up some routines to run at specific times of the day.

Or

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

Brad, I don’t think the issue revolves around the automated tasks. This is because the tasks themselves don’t ask for a password. The failure happens because the program won’t save my password when I log in. Consequently after exiting and reopening the program, I have to type in my new password every time. It doesn’t seem to want to save the new password - even though I’ve clicked the “Save Password” radio button.

Here’s the stranger thing: I have two users saved. The top user has a new password and it has saved that one. However the second one won’t hold the new password. The password has to be saved somewhere. If I can find that file I would think I could fix it there.

I could tell you where the file is that saves the passwords but it would be pointless since it’s encrypted.

Try to delete the login record from the connection window (delete key), close Toad and re-open, then try to create this connection again

Sent: Tuesday, December 01, 2015 9:20 AM

Reply by donald.wilson

Brad, I don’t think the issue revolves around the automated tasks. This is because the tasks themselves don’t ask for a password. The failure happens because the program won’t save my password when I log in. Consequently after exiting and reopening the program, I have to type in my new password every time. It doesn’t seem to want to save the new password - even though I’ve clicked the “Save Password” radio button.

Here’s the stranger thing: I have two users saved. The top user has a new password and it has saved that one. However the second one won’t hold the new password. The password has to be saved somewhere. If I can find that file I would think I could fix it there.

Or

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

Brad, I’ve done as you’ve suggested. Toad is saving the first user correctly. However after deleting the second users password, closing the program and reopening, I did see the password was gone. I entered the new password and closed the program. After reopening I attempted to open as the second user. Unfortunately it still contained the old (obsolete) password, so it failed to open.

I have found the CONNECTIONPWD.INI file that contains the encrypted passwords. Should I delete this file or clean it out and try again?

How are you changing your password? I have tried two methods.

1. Logging in and using Session|Change Password. Toad updated the stored password and my Automation Designer actions execute properly.

2. Changing my password from another tool. My stored copy in 12.8 is now wrong. Trying to connect gives invalid password message and prompts for the new. I enter the correct password, it is stored, and my Automation Designer actions execute properly.

Perhaps outline, in detail, exactly what you're doing from the time you decide to change your password until you see it not being saved. Since changing passwords can be done in many different ways expand on "change password" to include the exact steps your doing, etc. With so many ways to get from A to B there's probably just a sequence here necessary to reproduce.

Also, your appdata user files folder must be read-write so double check that.

Another user earlier in the thread mentioned moving connection related files around. Are you doing anything similar or are you relying on Toad alone to manage its files?

Michael

On 12/01/2015 09:20 AM, donald.wilson wrote:

RE: TOAD for Oracle 12.6.0.53 won't save my password

Reply by donald.wilson
Brad, I don't think the issue revolves around the automated tasks. This is because the tasks themselves don't ask for a password. The failure happens because the program won't save my password when I log in. Consequently after exiting and reopening the program, I have to type in my new password every time. It doesn't seem to want to save the new password - even though I've clicked the "Save Password" radio button.

Here's the stranger thing: I have two users saved. The top user has a new password and it has saved that one. However the second one won't hold the new password. The password has to be saved somewhere. If I can find that file I would think I could fix it there.

Or

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

Yes, you can safely delete that file and your passwords will be gone

Sent: Tuesday, December 01, 2015 9:56 AM

Reply by donald.wilson

Brad, I’ve done as you’ve suggested. Toad is saving the first user correctly. However after deleting the second users password, closing the program and reopening, I did see the password was gone. I entered the new password and closed the program. After reopening I attempted to open as the second user. Unfortunately it still contained the old (obsolete) password, so it failed to open.

I have found the CONNECTIONPWD.INI file that contains the encrypted passwords. Should I delete this file or clean it out and try again?

Or

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

Here’s a strange one for you: I’ve deleted the CONNECTIONPWD.INI file. I’ve reopened TOAD and find that my old password is still saved. I’m suppose the password is actually saved somewhere else. But where?

Michael, to answer your questions:

I tried using the Session/Change Password option. However to log in, I have to use my new password. I opened the Change Password entered the old password along with the new, and it wouldn’t accept it. It’s because I’m not logged in with that old password. Therefore the “Passwords do not Match”.

Here’s what I’ve done to attempt to save my new password:

On opening, the main login interface comes up. I have two users listed. The first user has the password saved correctly (I don’t know why, but it has saved fine). Clicking the second user, I type over the existing password with the new one. I then unclick “Save Password” and the click it again to check that box (the same step I used to save the first user several weeks back).

Is there a better, correct way to do this?

Do you have another copy of Toad running? Check Task Manager and look for a rogue copy hanging around somewhere. Close/kill them all. Also, check in Options on the General page and verify that the application data directory path is pointing to the location where you deleted the user Files\pwds ini file. Do you have the Dropbox connector enabled (MyToadMonitor)? If so close it and enter your password in Toad again. If you have nuked that pwds file then Toad should have no password stored for any of your connections. Something is continuing to update the file or you nuked one from a location not being used by that installation of Toad.

Michael, as suggested I checked Task Manager. I found 25+ instances of Toad running. I bet this is why I couldn’t change the password and make it stick. I’ve closed all of the instances that were running and have reopened Toad. Interestingly, the passwords were still there even though I’ve deleted the “CONNECTIONPWD.INI” file.

I’m assuming here, but it appears that each time the automation runs it creates and instance that doesn’t close. Is there a way to ensure it completely closes each time?

Toad.exe should close after the action/app successfully finishes. You will want to check the log first to see if you can find any error messages (in the App Designer) and if you don’t see anything there, run the app manually and see if it runs successfully from the GUI. If everything works (application shows successful execution), I would suggest contacting support to submit a formal bug report. My hunch is that something is silently failing in your automation script that keeps Toad from closing properly.

Sent: Tuesday, December 01, 2015 11:55 AM

Reply by donald.wilson

Michael, as suggested I checked Task Manager. I found 25+ instances of Toad running. I bet this is why I couldn’t change the password and make it stick. I’ve closed all of the instances that were running and have reopened Toad. Interestingly, the passwords were still there even though I’ve deleted the “CONNECTIONPWD.INI” file.

I’m assuming here, but it appears that each time the automation runs it creates and instance that doesn’t close. Is there a way to ensure it completely closes each time?

Or

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.