Toad for Oracle 12.8.0.49 crashes with EAccessViolation

I read a thread on this issue that said it should be corrected in 12.8 but apparently not. I am getting this error when switching between connected databases. I am not sure yet if it has anything to do with the amount of time between the when I am active on each or not. The issue crashed Toad completely and is costing me time!

I am running Toad for Oracle Xpert (64-bit) 12.8.0.49 connecting to Oracle 11g Enterprise Edition Release 11.2.0.4.0 - 64bit databases

If anyone can provide any insight as to how to avoid this crash until it is fixed I would greatly appreciate it!
Toad.log (23.8 KB)

Hello,

I see this is related to another issue as you replied to another thread about this. Are you getting a popup crash screen like the one attached in this thread? www.toadworld.com/…/25434

Can you send me a support bundle off-line? brad.boddicker@quest.com

From: ronald.b.park [mailto:bounce-ronaldbpark@toadworld.com]

Sent: Wednesday, May 04, 2016 1:12 PM

To: toadoracle@toadworld.com

Subject: [Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum] Toad for Oracle 12.8.0.49 crashes with EAccessViolation

Toad for Oracle 12.8.0.49 crashes with EAccessViolation

Thread created by ronald.b.park

I read a thread on this issue that said it should be corrected in 12.8 but apparently not. I am getting this error when switching between connected databases. I am not sure yet if it has anything to do with the amount of time between the when I am active on each or not. The issue crashed Toad completely and is costing me time!

I am running Toad for Oracle Xpert (64-bit) 12.8.0.49 connecting to Oracle 11g Enterprise Edition Release 11.2.0.4.0 - 64bit databases

If anyone can provide any insight as to how to avoid this crash until it is fixed I would greatly appreciate it!

Attachments:

Toad.log

To reply, please reply-all to this email.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Or
Unsubscribe from Toad for Oracle - General
notifications altogether.

Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

So as I have been using Toad in my daily routine for a few more days now, I think I am beginning to understand when the EurekaLog errors occur. When I was using Toad 12.7 32-bit with a 32-bit Oracle 10 client home, I would regularly get logged out of a connection to an Oracle 12c database. When I tried to do something in it, Toad would tell me I was no longer connected and offer to reconnect. I believe the EurekaLog error is happening in place of the offer to reconnect. Each of the last 5 or 6 times I have gotten the error I have been interacting with the 12c database. Please advise…

We need the information in the Eurekalog window to be able to help you.

Here’s how to capture it in Toad Data Modeler but it’s the same in Toad

www.toadworld.com/…/10529.how-to-send-eureka-log

I read the info at the link and the EurekaLog error window I am getting does not have a Copy to Clipboard option...

This issue is still plaguing us. By us, I mean my fellow developer and I. Having dealt with it for a couple weeks now, I think we have a better feel for that is causing the issue. I believe that the issue is with the error message that is generated when Toad finds itself not connected to a database it currently has a connection to (db session timeout, network interruption, etc.). I originally thought it was an issue with connections Oracle 12c but we have discovered that connections to 11g now trigger the same error when their connection is disrupted.

For now we are living with it, trying to manage it, but would love to have it resolved in 12.9. So please, if there is anything we can do to help figure out what is happening, just let us know.

I was testing this today and was able to reproduce it with 64 bit Toad, 64 bit Oracle client (either version 11 or 12), and Object Palette open in Toad.

If I close the Object Palette (prior to switching connections), Toad wouldn’t crash. It would just throw a “nice” error message about a lost connection.

If I use 32 bit Toad (and 32 bit Oracle client version 12.1.0.2), then I did not get any error at all when changing connections (even with Object Palette open).

If you have 32 bit Toad handy, please give it a try. If not, please close your Object Palette and let me know if that makes any difference.

Now that I can finally reproduce this problem, I’m hopeful that a solution is not far off.

John,

Switching over to 32 bit Toad is not an easy option for me, so I dedicated today to running my 64 bit Toad without the Object Pallette open. I am working over a VPN connection today which tends to create more disconnected sessions and can report that they are generating the proper error messages with the reconnect option!

That’s good news! Thanks for the follow up. It should be OK to still use the Object Palette in general - just close it before you switch to a session that might be disconnected.

I have a fix ready for when we get back into betas again.

I’m sorry to resurrect an old thread. I appear to be having the same issue with Toad 12.9.0.71. (I upgraded from 12.8 to try to resolve it). Is it still a known problem?

Some fixes were put into 12.10 to address this.