Toad for Oracle version 12.7.1 sluggish (version 11 was fine in the same environment)

Hello,

anyone has any suggestions on why the newest version of Toad for Oracle is sluggish? We use Windows 7 32-bit. The previous version 11 was fine. There was no change in environment. Working with files over a network drive was never a problem. Now when opening an .sql file that is on a network drive one can barely have any response from the keyboard, we have to copy the file to our local C: drive. That still doesn’t help much, still there is a huge lag, for example when switching between 2 sessions. Typing sql code is a real pain. It’s like Toad is trying to do something in the background that is unnecessary. On version 11 everything was instantaneous, with version 12.7.1 it’s a massive degradation of performance. 3 of my developers are having exactly the same issue and it’s their main complaint about this new version.

Are there any parameters that can be changed?

Thanks,

Ryszard

This has come up through support from a user recently. If that wasn't you, read on.

I don't know what's causing it, but they see the same as you. Loading from local disk is OK, loading from remote share (samba in that case) is not. I only see three file access points in the Editor. 1) when the file is loaded 2) when the file is saved and 3) when we check the file's modified timestamp to prompt for reload, assuming you have that option enabled. If Team Coding is in use there may be more file access. The support thread was a little choppy, but I think I received replies to all of the following suggestions and nothing was working. Try each of the following suggestions. Let me know of the outcome.

1. Disable the "Prompt for reload on activation if timestamp has changed" option on the Editor|Open/Save options page.

2. After loading the file from your remote share load a second file from local disk. This second file can be any file. The second file load's sole purpose is to reset Toad's current directory.

3. White-list Toad in any antivirus/malware scanners you have running.

4. Reset your user files.
    a) Close Toad and make a backup of your application data directory. Its location is found on the General page in Options.
    b) After making your backup, start Toad and go to the "Copy User Settings" window available from the Utilities menu. Select the final choice to reset to a clean set of user files. Click OK.
    c) Once Toad has restarted try to reproduce your issue. Do so without changing any of the default options. If it works well for you now please zip and email me your backed up, original appdata files to michael.staszewskiquest.com. You can now close Toad and delete the newly created user files and restore your backed up copy.

Thanks,
Michael

On 09/11/2015 05:13 AM, ryszard.musielak wrote:

Toad for Oracle version 12.7.1 sluggish (version 11 was fine in the same environment)

Thread created by ryszard.musielak
Hello,

anyone has any suggestions on why the newest version of Toad for Oracle is sluggish? We use Windows 7 32-bit. The previous version 11 was fine. There was no change in environment. Working with files over a network drive was never a problem. Now when opening an .sql file that is on a network drive one can barely have any response from the keyboard, we have to copy the file to our local C: drive. That still doesn't help much, still there is a huge lag, for example when switching between 2 sessions. Typing sql code is a real pain. It's like Toad is trying to do something in the background that is unnecessary. On version 11 everything was instantaneous, with version 12.7.1 it's a massive degradation of performance. 3 of my developers are having exactly the same issue and it's their main complaint about this new version.

Are there any parameters that can be changed?

Thanks,

Ryszard

To reply, please reply-all to this email.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.
Or Unsubscribe from Toad for Oracle - General notifications altogether.
Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum

Flag this post as spam/abuse.

Thanks for the suggestions, we shall try what you suggested. I’ll let you know, however I don’t think we would be happy to send the backed up data, my colleagues may question that part.

Regards,

Ryszard

Your user files contains your Toad configuration files (options, settings, etc.). Unless you save your code in there there’s little that Toad will put there that’s sensitive. You can eliminate Connections*.ini and all files starting with ‘~’ and that should knock out nearly everything that’s confidential.

Ryszard, don’t bother. We can reproduce this now. Thanks.

Michael,

Any update on this issue? I am having the same issue. Very frustrating and affecting productivity.

Thanks,

Chris

This issue has been fixed for the 12.8 commercial release, which should be available next month

Sent: Wednesday, October 07, 2015 11:27 AM

To: toadoracle@toadworld.com

Subject: RE: [Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum] Toad for Oracle version 12.7.1 sluggish (version 11 was fine in the same environment)

RE: Toad for Oracle version 12.7.1 sluggish (version 11 was fine in the same environment)

Reply by canderson

Michael,

Any update on this issue? I am having the same issue. Very frustrating and affecting productivity.

Thanks,

Chris

To reply, please reply-all to this email.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Or
Unsubscribe from Toad for Oracle - General
notifications altogether.

Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.