Toad Freezes each time I open a file

I am unable to open files using the latest version of toad. Each time I open a file, it starts to spin, and freezes. I can copy and paste, but I am unable to open any files.

When exactly does this occur? Does it happen when the open dialog first opens or when you select the file and try to open it?

Which version of Toad are you running? Please include the full version number listed in help > about

Sent: Tuesday, June 03, 2014 11:25 AM

To: toadoracle@toadworld.com

Subject: [Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum] Toad Freezes each time I open a file

Thread created by amatenda

I am unable to open files using the latest version of toad. Each time I open a file, it starts to spin, and freezes. I can copy and paste, but I am unable to
open any files.

To reply, please reply-all to this email.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Or
Unsubscribe from Toad for Oracle - General
notifications altogether.

Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

I am unable to open any files.

Does an empty file also cause a hang or must it have contents? If it must have contents are your files large or will a small file containing SELECT * FROM dual; also produce a hang?

I can copy and paste

Even the contents of the files hanging for you? If you open them in Notepad and copy/paste from there all is well?

If you can email me your Toad.ini file offline (michael.staszewskiquest.com) and a sample file that would help.

Michael

On 06/03/2014 11:24 AM, amatenda wrote:

Thread created by amatenda
I am unable to open files using the latest version of toad. Each time I open a file, it starts to spin, and freezes. I can copy and paste, but I am unable to open any files.

Or Unsubscribe from Toad for Oracle - General notifications altogether.

Flag this post as spam/abuse.

Toad Version: 12.1.0.22

@Brad Boddicker , I click File->Open, then navigate to a local directory, if I click the Directory and/or File in the right panel, the mouse icon spins. It occurs only when I select a File/Directory in the Local Directories. I don’t use the public repository.

@[mention:e49252e6fcba4571bda11a7295532512:e9ed411860ed4f2ba0265705b8793d05] Staszewski , the file could empty, or have contents ( < 60 KB), when I select an object (file/directory), the mouse spins. If I copy the same content, to Toad there is no issue - I primary run SQL files. Will email.

If you are experiencing the hang in the open dialog I think your problem is farther upstream than I was initially thinking.

On 06/03/2014 11:53 AM, amatenda wrote:

RE: Toad Freezes each time I open a file

Reply by amatenda

@Brad Boddicker , I click File->Open, then navigate to a local directory, if I click the Directory and/or File in the right panel, the mouse icon spins. It occurs only when I select a File/Directory in the Local Directories. I don't use the public repository.

@michael Staszewski , the file could empty, or have contents ( < 60 KB), when I select an object (file/directory), the mouse
spins. If I copy the same content, to Toad there is no issue - I primary run SQL files. Will email.

Or

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

We had a similar problem a few months back with another user - which resulted in a change coming in toad 12.5. The “new” open file dialog starting with Toad 12.0 supported drop box stuff, which could results in some scenarios where the open file dialog would seem to hang (in that users case she had 15,000 files in her local directory and the open file dialog was scanning all of them before allowing work to resume - resulting in 45 min delay). So in toad 12.5 there will be an option to disable the new file open and use the old file open dialog. So do you have lots of files in your directory or some other oddity that might qualify/explain this behavior?

There are some known issues with Toad trying to resolve network locations in the open dialog. These have been resolved in 12.5. In addition, you can fall
back to the old open/save dialogs from prior Toad versions. Toad 12.5 goes GA this Thursday, so hopefully you will be able to upgrade very soon.

In the meantime, I can only give you some suggestions that may work for you

1. If you have any mapped network drives which are not connecting or very slow, remove them

2. Turn off the “preview” pane in the RHS of the open/save dialogs

3. Let Toad spin for a couple of minutes, once it resolves all of your network locations, it should respond and work fine for subsequent operations during your
    Toad session

4. Create a clean set of user files using Utilities > Copy user settings. We’ve had some upgrade issues which may be the cause of your issue. Be sure to back
    up your user files first (another 12.5 features lets you back up your user files in Toad with a single click).

Sent: Tuesday, June 03, 2014 11:54 AM

Subject: RE: [Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum] Toad Freezes each time I open a file

Reply by amatenda

@Brad Boddicker , I click File->Open, then navigate to a local directory, if I click the Directory and/or File in the right panel, the mouse icon spins. It occurs only when I select a File/Directory
in the Local Directories. I don’t use the public repository.

@michael Staszewski , the file could empty, or have contents ( < 60 KB), when I select an object (file/directory), the mouse
spins. If I copy the same content, to Toad there is no issue - I primary run SQL files. Will email.

Or

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

Thanks. Makes sense.

Ø
@Brad Boddicker , I click File->Open, then navigate to a local directory, if I click the Directory and/or File in the right panel, the mouse icon spins. It occurs
only when I select a File/Directory in the Local Directories. I don’t use the public repository.

Another possible issue to verify is to make sure you don’t have any shortcuts in that folder that might be pointing to an invalid place. If memory serves,
there was an issue in Toad 12.1 where the open dialog would attempt to resolve the shortcut, and the API that resolved the shortcut would take a while if it was pointing to a location or file that no longer existed.

Sent: Tuesday, June 03, 2014 12:13 PM

Subject: RE: [Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum] Toad Freezes each time I open a file

Reply by amatenda

Thanks. Makes sense.

Or

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.