TOAD Memory Leak & Crash on SB Synonyms

I am having a problem with TOAD (version 15.1.113.1379 using Oracle Client 19.0 on Windows 10 build 18363 with an 8/16CPU and 32GB memory against target database 19.14) in which TOAD hangs and starts consuming memory up to available limits until it crashes or is killed. This occurs when selecting Synonyms from the SB dropdown on the left side. Filter has 'public' and 'private' selected for 'any schema' and 'not through a DB link'. The box 'get object type and check for object existence' is checked when this occurs in the root container, but it need not be checked when the problem occurs in a PDB. 'Include status' and 'current schema only' are not checked.

Note: It did not occur in the root container until the 'get object type...' box was checked. Now, I cannot get back to the filter to uncheck that box.

All I have to do is login, open schema browser, and select Synonyms from the dropdown. Then, it hangs, and memory use steadily climbs to consume all available memory. Sometimes, TOAD crashes with an out of memory message and sometimes it must be killed. This not only happens to me but also for another user on a separate but similar workstation.

Cheers,
Russ

The problem that I reported before about the forums editor getting reduced and locked into just a couple lines in the editor box is still occurring, and it seems to be related to that d*** floating title/menu bar. As that bounces around, the editor gets locked and unlocked.

Would be useful to see what Toad is trying to execute when you bring up Synonyms within the Schema Browser... this will help back-end Dev guys (unless they already have some guidance in mind, and have seen this before.)

Do this:
Launch Toad, and before you do anything, get to the Options Base->Schema Browser->LeftHandSide, and press the "Default Filter" button. In the Schema Browser Filters panel, on the Synonyms page, check the box labeled "View/Edit Query Before Executing", and press OK and Apply your changes. See snap below.

Then, try to bring up the Synonyms in the Schema Browser... Toad should display the SQL that it's about to execute... may want to post that SQL here in your thread. One thing you might want to check is if that SQL runs successfully on its own... perhaps within Toad's editor, or via command line or another app.

This one was not our fault (it was a 3rd party component bug), but still, I'm sorry about that.

This was fixed in the 16.0 beta, which you can get here.

To work around it, don't let SB-Synonyms run a query to load more than 500 synonyms. For most users, this just means leaving "public" unchecked.

The problem that I reported before about the forums editor getting reduced and locked into just a couple lines in the editor box is still occurring, and it seems to be related to that d*** floating title/menu bar. As that bounces around, the editor gets locked and unlocked.

Link? screenshot? I think I missed that one.

Edit: Oh, you mean here in Toad World. I remember that one.

Query is:

Select s.owner, s.synonym_name, s.table_name, s.table_owner, s.db_link, null object_type, 'VALID' status
from sys.DBA_SYNONYMS s
where s.synonym_name is not null
and s.db_link is null

My company must approve--and install themselves--all new software, and they won't install a beta version. Did someone mention to me before that there is a way to do a user install of TOAD instead of an admin install?

Cheers,
Russ

Yes. I was referring to the problem in this forum. It is that floating bar that is causing all the mischief.

Cheers,
Russ

The installer will ask for elevated privs when installing. I don't know of any way around that.

TOAD is a pretty complex application with lots of moving parts on the workstation. It would probably not work as a user-level install. That just makes it more complicated for those of us who have to get official approvals and support for admin installs. I wish TOAD required admin privs to use because then I could make a good case for obtaining admin privs for my own use.

Cheers,
Russ

I have "installed" Toad before by copying the install folder (C:\Program Files\Quest Software\Toad for Oracle 15.1) from one PC to another. That may work if you have such a folder to copy from.

Since 99% of our several thousand application synonyms are PUBLIC, the workaround is no good for us. What is the target release date of 16.0?

Cheers,
Russ

Toad 16.0 will be released near the end of this month. I am not sure of the exact date.

1 Like

Is there a way to reset that filter in the meantime? I cannot get back into the filter within SB to change it.

Cheers,
Russ

Found it here:

1 Like

I have the same memory problem with Toad version 15.1.113.1379.
But not only with public synonyms.
For example also with simple queries with a larger number of result lines. I can't make any statement about the number of lines at which the memory problems occur.
But if I uninstall the Toad version 15.1.113.1379 and then reinstall the older Toad version 15.0.97.1178 I don't have any memory problems.

@Ruedi.Bauert the synonym problem is fixed in toad 16.0

Did you also experience this in the editor? We haven’t heard of any reports of that but I’d like to know more about it so we can get it fixed. If you can provide any more details I’d appreciate it.