Toad pushes behind other windows when child windows close

Howdy!

I’ve noticed that after connecting to a DB with Toad 12.9 beta that the main window pushes behind other open apps (browser, email, etc). I’m not sure when this started, but it definitely does it with 12.9.0.17, but not with 12.8.0.49 (GA).

I thought I saw a mention of this a few weeks ago, but can’t find 'er now…

TIA!
Rich

I mentioned “loss of focus” a couple of weeks back. Still doing it. Quite frustrating at times.

Sent: Thursday, January 21, 2016 10:59 AM

To: toadoraclebeta@toadworld.com

Subject: [Toad for Oracle - Beta Discussion Forum] Toad pushes behind other windows when child windows close

Toad pushes behind other windows when child windows close

Thread created by Rich J.

Howdy!

I’ve noticed that after connecting to a DB with Toad 12.9 beta that the main window pushes behind other open apps (browser, email, etc). I’m not sure when this started, but it definitely does it with 12.9.0.17, but not with 12.8.0.49 (GA).

I thought I saw a mention of this a few weeks ago, but can’t find 'er now…

TIA!

Rich

To reply, please reply-all to this email.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Or
Unsubscribe from Toad for Oracle - Beta
notifications altogether.

Toad for Oracle - Beta Discussion Forum

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

This should be fixed for next beta.

Yes! This issue has been around for nearly forever. This would be a HUGE fix!

+1

Thanks for the enthusiasm, but I may have spoken too soon. I think I improved it a bit but it’s still not perfect. Hopefully we’ll have a beta tomorrow.

I’ve only noticed this problem in the 12.9 beta cycle. How long have you been seeing this?

@jdorlon I have observed this at least since 11.x, as my use case is always over Windows RDP, so any UI drawing artifacts are very evident due to network “lag”, but especially when the Toad GUI thread blocks on network operations or other long delays. I’ve come to call it “hole punching” where selective parts of the UI go transparent, and clicks can be delivered to whatever application is running immediately behind Toad (usually Spotlight). So far I have not destroyed any production databases due to this behavior… :wink:

One additional observation: this phenomena happens not only when closing a Toad window, but also when switching between most windows, e.g. switching around rapidly with Ctrl+Tab / Shift+Ctrl+Tab. I get to see a lot of other applications’ content when Toad goes “out to lunch” for the duration of the window switch.

Give it a try next beta and let me know if it’s any better. I may have fixed it.

Hey John,

With my email domain blacklisted here, it’s getting tough to remember to follow up on issues! Yes, this started (for me) only on the 12.9 beta cycle. And at least as of beta .28 (not sure about .27), Toad is happy to take the forefront again.

Thanks much!

Rich