TOAD/TFS Integration - View Contains Schema Owner in Script

We have recently integrated TOAD Beta 12.11.0.82 with TFS. We have unchecked the “Add schema name to VCS file” and we are using the subfolder Structure of "Object Type / . We are then creating a project for each schema, to allow the schema name to not be included in the file name. It is working great!!!

The problem that we have is that when VIEWs are checked into TFS, they contain the Schema Owner in the Create View Statement as well as the Schema Owner is included in the COMMENT ON COLUMN statements. Please note that Packages, Types, and Triggers all do not have the schema owner. Is there a way to stop this from happening? When we look at the view script, the schema owner is not included.

Second, if I have the “Team Coding Manager” View open and I am looking at the “Team Projects” tab, then attempt to drag a View onto the editor, it doesn’t work. Yet the same action with a Package/Type/Trigger all results in that object being editable to me.

Finally, in one of our environments we have a configuration problem that is preventing anything from being checkout from TFS. So if I try and compile anything, it prompts me if I want to checkout, but the checkout never happens. The problem I have is that the compile occurs and there is no error that checkout failed. If I go to “Team Projects” and checkout the object, nothing happens. No error, no status that it failed. The only indication that it didn’t work, is that the Green Circle did not change to a “checked out” icon. We are working to figure out why the checkout is failing, but the issue for the product is that the product is not alerting the user to the failure.

Thanks in advance for taking a look at these items,

David

Hi David,

Very interesting and ingenious solution for your project configuration! I’m glad that’s working well for you!

Views are a bit of a different animal within Oracle; and therefore the code used for pulling DLL information on views is a bit different than the code used for other object types. Unfortunately, the schema owner is currently included by default for View DDL and there’s no current way to exclude it; however, some basic customization for DDL within Team Coding is something I’ve been thinking about and would like to add in a future version. I can’t tell you exactly when that may be able to get implemented, but it is something that’s on my radar.

Unfortunately, Toad’s editor was originally designed to automatically load DDL for programmable PL/SQL object types upon drag and drop. However, as an alternative, you can press F4 on the object in the Team Coding Manager, click the Script tab and click the “Copy script to an Editor Window” button. Also, simply double-clicking the object in the Team Coding Manager will open it in the “Alter View” window of Toad where the view’s source can also be modified.

As for the issue you’re experiencing where the object is not being checked out: have you tried turning on VCS Debug Logging (under Team Coding -> Configuration -> User Settings -> Logging). If you enable that option, it should output the XML for each request and response made to TFS within its debug log file. That may lead you to figure out where your configuration issue may be. If it is failing for one database config but not other database configs, I would also recommend checking the Team Coding configuration in that database connection for any custom settings within the TFS config window’s “Advanced” tab. If there are non-default settings in that tab, it could very easily cause the calls to be formed incorrectly for that connection within Toad.

-John

On the view topic, thank you. For now we will stop using TOAD/TFS integration and do our check-in/check-out process manually until this gets enhanced. (The schema name makes it impossible to migrate code between environments) I really like the concept of having a separate configuration for Team Coding. When we were talking about it internally before drafting the email, that is also what we thought should be the solution which would allow items being checked in to follow one standard while everyone’s personal configurations remaining intact.

For the TFS Error, thank you for providing ways to review why it is failing. What I find interesting is that the “Output Window” shows the error while the Log File does not. In addition, I would expect that if I ask for a DB Object/file to be checked out, and it fails to work, that I would be notified on the screen of such a failure. Can the exception handling be improved so that on failure that a pop-up window is created showing the error that was encountered? Having to go dig through logs on why a checkout failed is not very user friendly.

Thanks,

David

Sent: Wednesday, June 28, 2017 12:45 PM

To: toadoracle@toadworld.com

Subject: RE: [Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum] TOAD/TFS Integration - View Contains Schema Owner in Script

EXTERNAL EMAIL

RE: TOAD/TFS Integration - View Contains Schema Owner in Script

Reply by John Bowman

Hi David,

Very interesting and ingenious solution for your project configuration! I’m glad that’s working well for you!

Views are a bit of a different animal within Oracle; and therefore the code used for pulling DLL information on views is a bit different than the code used for other object types. Unfortunately, the schema owner is currently included by default for View DDL and there’s no current way to exclude it; however, some basic customization for DDL within Team Coding is something I’ve been thinking about and would like to add in a future version. I can’t tell you exactly when that may be able to get implemented, but it is something that’s on my radar.

Unfortunately, Toad’s editor was originally designed to automatically load DDL for programmable PL/SQL object types upon drag and drop. However, as an alternative, you can press F4 on the object in the Team Coding Manager, click the Script tab and click the “Copy script to an Editor Window” button. Also, simply double-clicking the object in the Team Coding Manager will open it in the “Alter View” window of Toad where the view’s source can also be modified.

As for the issue you’re experiencing where the object is not being checked out: have you tried turning on VCS Debug Logging (under Team Coding -> Configuration -> User Settings -> Logging). If you enable that option, it should output the XML for each request and response made to TFS within its debug log file. That may lead you to figure out where your configuration issue may be. If it is failing for one database config but not other database configs, I would also recommend checking the Team Coding configuration in that database connection for any custom settings within the TFS config window’s “Advanced” tab. If there are non-default settings in that tab, it could very easily cause the calls to be formed incorrectly for that connection within Toad.

-John

To reply, please reply-all to this email.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Or
Unsubscribe from Toad for Oracle Forum
notifications altogether.

Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

***** This email is from an external sender outside of the CenterPoint Energy network. Be cautious about clicking links or opening attachments from unknown sources. *****

Hi David,

I really like the concept of having a separate configuration for Team Coding. When we were talking about it internally before drafting the email, that is also what we thought should be the solution which would allow items being checked in to follow one standard while everyone’s personal configurations remaining intact.

I'm not sure I'm following what you're saying here. Can you explain a bit further what you were thinking should be the solution? I just wanted to make sure we're on the same page.

What I find interesting is that the “Output Window” shows the error while the Log File does not.

It sounds like you may not have all the logging options you need checked in the configuration window. In the Logging section of Team Coding's options (Team Coding -> Configuration -> User Settings -> Logging), there are three options:

• Log Team Coding messages in the output window - will output basic Team Coding messages like "Check-in successful" or "Check-out failed. Reason: " to the output window
  • Log VCS commands in the output window - will include the VCS requests and responses in the output window
  • Enable VCS debug logging - will output all VCS debug logging to an external file which can be referenced later
    The VCS debug log will include the VCS commands with their requests and full responses for later debugging in case there was a problem on the VCS end. If there was a problem there, you should definitely see the error in that file. Are you not seeing that?

In addition, I would expect that if I ask for a DB Object/file to be checked out, and it fails to work, that I would be notified on the screen of such a failure. Can the exception handling be improved so that on failure that a pop-up window is created showing the error that was encountered?

We felt that popup error dialogs would be far too intrusive to the user if a failed action happened, and instead opted for outputting the failure to the output window. If you'd prefer it to display a physical error dialog anytime a failure happens, that is a user option we could easily add. I'd be curious if there were others who felt that way first. Would you consider adding an entry to the Idea Pond on Toad World so it could receive feedback from other users?

In the meantime, it sounds like the best option for you guys might be to enable the first and third options within the Logging options of the configuration window. That way, you can see errors output to the Output Window without it getting cluttered by VCS commands, while the VCS commands and responses could get output to the external VCS debug log. Would that work for your situation?

Thanks,

-John

Team Coding should have its own configuration that would allow the Team Coding Admin to specify if the schema name should be included in the DDL. They should have the choice of including grants, synonyms, and any other option that is currently available to a user creating a script of that object type. The difference between the two is that one configuration is used exclusively by TOAD when creating files that go to Team Coding while the other configuration is the user’s personal setting (this one already exists today).

For the logger lines, I have all 3 check boxes selected. The error never wrote out to the log file that I can find. The root of the TFS issue was that someone changed the “Advanced->Use Custom Collection” value to something that didn’t work. Maybe you can use that to see if you can reproduce the logging issue.

I would be happy to add an entry to the Idea Pond (I’ll do that right now). Again, the issue I have is that it appears TOAD is broken when TFS is not accessible. If someone attempts to compile code managed by Team Coding, TOAD just sits there. It gives the impression that the Compile button is broken.

Thanks!

David

Sent: Thursday, June 29, 2017 12:35 PM

To: toadoracle@toadworld.com

Subject: RE: [Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum] TOAD/TFS Integration - View Contains Schema Owner in Script

EXTERNAL EMAIL

RE: TOAD/TFS Integration - View Contains Schema Owner in Script

Reply by John Bowman

Hi David,

I really like the concept of having a separate configuration for Team Coding. When we were talking about it internally before drafting the email, that is also what we thought should be the solution which would allow items being checked in to follow one standard while everyone’s personal configurations remaining intact.

I'm not sure I'm following what you're saying here. Can you explain a bit further what you were thinking should be the solution? I just wanted to make sure we're on the same page.

What I find interesting is that the “Output Window” shows the error while the Log File does not.

It sounds like you may not have all the logging options you need checked in the configuration window. In the Logging section of Team Coding's options (Team Coding -> Configuration -> User Settings -> Logging), there are three options:

• Log Team Coding messages in the output window - will output basic Team Coding messages like "Check-in successful" or "Check-out failed. Reason: " to the output window
  • Log VCS commands in the output window - will include the VCS requests and responses in the output window
  • Enable VCS debug logging - will output all VCS debug logging to an external file which can be referenced later
    The VCS debug log will include the VCS commands with their requests and full responses for later debugging in case there was a problem on the VCS end. If there was a problem there, you should definitely see the error in that file. Are you not seeing that?

In addition, I would expect that if I ask for a DB Object/file to be checked out, and it fails to work, that I would be notified on the screen of such a failure. Can the exception handling be improved so that on failure that a pop-up window is created showing the error that was encountered?

We felt that popup error dialogs would be far too intrusive to the user if a failed action happened, and instead opted for outputting the failure to the output window. If you'd prefer it to display a physical error dialog anytime a failure happens, that is a user option we could easily add. I'd be curious if there were others who felt that way first. Would you consider adding an entry to the Idea Pond on Toad World so it could receive feedback from other users?

In the meantime, it sounds like the best option for you guys might be to enable the first and third options within the Logging options of the configuration window. That way, you can see errors output to the Output Window without it getting cluttered by VCS commands, while the VCS commands and responses could get output to the external VCS debug log. Would that work for your situation?

Thanks,

-John

To reply, please reply-all to this email.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Or
Unsubscribe from Toad for Oracle Forum
notifications altogether.

Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

***** This email is from an external sender outside of the CenterPoint Energy network. Be cautious about clicking links or opening attachments from unknown sources. *****