Trace File Browser Bugs, Perhaps?

Afternoon All,

Toad 12.1.0.22.

In the Trace File Browser, I have noted the following foibles:

• In the Statement Details tab, at the top, toggling the “Display Full recursion” context menu option seems to keep adding the number of CONS READS to the CONS READS INC REC column for some rows in the display. The latter column’s value simply increases by the value in the former when the option is toggled. I would expect the values to toggle back and forth between inclusding and excluding the CONS READS value.

• In the Waits By Object tab, when object_id decoding is not selected, sorting the object_id column doesn’t sort by the numeric value of the object_ids, but by their textual values, so you get things like 1,10,100,2,20,200…

• Also, in the lower half of the screen in the Waits by Object tab, there seems to be a missing context menu option ‘Find Statement on Details Tab’ which is available on the Wait Summary tab. I have to double-click to get the same effect.

• In the Query Summary tab, at the top where the trace file summary is displayed with all the various totals etc, I see for some trace files that the last timestamp entry shows “” which is incorrect as there are a good few timestamps in the trace file.

• Also, in the lower half of the screen in the Query Summary tab, there seems to be a missing context menu option ‘Find Statement on Details Tab’ which is available on the Wait Summary tab. I have to double-click to get the same effect.

• In the Query Summary tab, splitting the graph to show user and recursive statements separately causes some bars in the graph to not show a full list of statements when clicked on. I have a 4 statement bar which displays nothing when clicked on - but does display the 4 statements when combined. Another query has 7 statements on the bar, but clicking on it shows only 1. It makes no difference if I click on the user or recursive bars.

• In the sql statement tab on the lower part of the screen, the bind variable details section seems to sometimes have difficulties extracting bind values for some data types - mainly NUMBER - where the values are displayed as NULL rather than the actual value extracted from the trace file.

• In the Raw Data tab, in the lower part of the screen, the context menu options Expand All and Collapse All appear to have no effect until you click on an application that is not Toad, then the requested operation suddenly happens. I suspect this is not a Toad foible though, probably a Windows 7 problem that is interfering with Toad - but having said that, it has been consistent today, all day, on numerous trace files.
    Finally, I must say how pleased I am with this utility. I have written a little Trace file helper for my own use and it adds data to the end of most of the trace file lines:

• The ‘tim’ values are converted to seconds and microseconds by sticking a dot into the number in the appropriate place;

• There is a new ‘delta’ value added to show the difference between this ‘tim’ and the previous ‘tim’;

• There is a new ‘dslt’ value added to show the cumulative delta since the last time stamp record;

• The ‘tim’ value is converted into a local, DST aware, date and time.
    Toad’s Trace File Browser happily copes with these additional fields and shows no ill effects. Most impressive considering that other trace file utilities I have used barf all over the place when they encounter my additions.

If anyone is interested, I have a couple of Trace File utilities on GitHub. Search for TraceAdjust and TraceMiner2 if you are interested. Source code available, help yourselves.

Hi Norm,

Thanks for the feedback.

• The "display full recursion toggling bug" appears to be fixed in 12.11.
  • "Waits by object" sorting is fixed for next beta.
  • 'Find Statement on Details Tab' item added to popup menu on lower 1/2 of Waits by Object tab for next beta
  • "" - can you send me a trace file that causes this? It works OK here. Not sure if it's been fixed or if I just don't have a "good" file.
  • 'Find Statement on Details Tab" item added to popup menu on the tree under the query summary chart
  • "In the Query Summary tab, splitting the graph to show user and recursive statements separately"......seems to work OK here in 12.11 but I'll double-check if you send me a file that you can reproduce this with.
  • Bind Variable values - I remember fixing this one, but if you want me to double-check with a specific example, then send me something.
  • I could not reproduce the Expand/Collapse problem with the Raw Data tab in Toad 12.11 or 12.1, so I'm not sure what's going on there. :frowning:

Toad's Trace File Browser happily copes with these additional fields and shows no ill effects.

Woohoo!

Hi John,

a trace file is in the post that shows the problems. Thanks.

Got it Norm, thanks. I’m happy to report that the bugs concerning

• bind values
  • split summary chart
  • “missing” timestamp
    …are all working properly in 12.11.

Hood stuff John, I'll update my overview document to remove those, and the others that you said were fixed.

Cheers,

Norm.

On 23 June 2017 16:09:40 BST, John Dorlon bounce-jdorlon@toadworld.com wrote:

RE: Trace File Browser Bugs, Perhaps?

Reply by John Dorlon
Got it Norm, thanks. I'm happy to report that the bugs concerning

• bind values
  • split summary chart
  • "missing" timestamp
    ...are all working properly in 12.11.

To reply, please reply-all to this email.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Or Unsubscribe from Toad for Oracle Forum notifications altogether.

Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum

Flag this post as spam/abuse.

--

Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.

Document updated.

Blog post on the Trace File Browser posted on the Toad For Oracle Blog at http://www.toadworld.com/products/toad-for-oracle/b/weblog/archive/2017/06/28/toad-trace-file-analyser and there’s a zip file attached with two example trace files, and a copy of my document in PDF and Word’s DOCX format.

Enjoy.

[Y]

[B][B][B]