"Unable to create Oracle session" in MyToad

Hi all, just created a MyToad account, linked my computer, uploaded scripts, executed the scripts, but get “Unable to create Oracle session” when I check the results.

The scripts do not run, but I can run them manually in Toad for Oracle. Any clue what I should check here? Thanks!

Could you try to enable the email notifications and see if any of the information returned from them is incorrect. The results email should contain a link to
your result on MyToad, filename, script, and database.

Are you by any chance using a mixed case user?

Thanks,

• Mike

Sent: Tuesday, August 06, 2013 7:44 PM

To: toadoracle@toadworld.com

Subject: [Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum] “Unable to create Oracle session” in MyToad

"Unable to create Oracle session" in MyToad

Thread created by grego

Hi all, just created a MyToad account, linked my computer, uploaded scripts, executed the scripts, but get “Unable to create Oracle session” when I check the results.

The scripts do not run, but I can run them manually in Toad for Oracle. Any clue what I should check here? Thanks!

To reply, please reply-all to this email.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Or
Unsubscribe from Toad for Oracle - General
notifications altogether.

Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

Thanks Mike, I think it could be due to using a direct connection and not TNS. I can’t TNSPING. Even when I try to email from Script Manager, it’s not working.

You should be okay using a direct connection.

A couple questions… Are you behind a proxy server? Can you execute a script on the database from the command line using tsr.exe successfully?

Right clicking on the MyToad Monitor and bringing up the error log might have some information as well.

Sent: Wednesday, August 07, 2013 9:07 AM

Subject: RE: [Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum] “Unable to create Oracle session” in MyToad

RE: “Unable to create Oracle session” in MyToad

Reply by grego

Thanks Mike, I think it could be due to using a direct connection and not TNS. I can’t TNSPING. Even when I try to email from Script Manager, it’s not working.

Or

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

Checking on your suggestions, Mike. Will report back shortly. Thanks again for the help!!

I’m not behind a proxy server. I tried running a script from Quest Script Runner, and get “ORA-12154: TNS:can’t resolve”

I also get “ORA-12505: TNS:does not currently know SID given in connect descriptor” I have a feeling it’s something with tnsnames.ora.

I don't believe QSR/TSR Support direct connect. I'll double check in the morning to be sure. If not, I'll see if it can be added.

Greg

On Aug 7, 2013, at 5:59 PM, "grego" bounce-grego@toadworld.com wrote:

RE: "Unable to create Oracle session" in MyToad

Reply by grego
I'm not behind a proxy server. I tried running a script from Quest Script Runner, and get "ORA-12154: TNS:can't resolve"

I also get "ORA-12505: TNS:does not currently know SID given in connect descriptor" I have a feeling it's something with tnsnames.ora.

Or

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

Thanks Greg, appreciate it. This is the method my team uses, so if it can be added as an enhancement, that would be great.

Greg,

Turns out TSR and QSR both support direct connect. As an experiment, I created a simple file that contained select * from scott.emp;

I then ran TSR using the following command line syntax:

-f “c:\hr.sql” -c gliss/XXXX@192.168.218.133:1521/XE -o “c:\output.txt”

The more generic version is:

-f “c:\scott.sql” -c /@:/<service_name> -o “c:\output.txt”

Can you connect so SQL*Plus using that syntax? connect /@:/<service_name

Can you try that test on QSR/TSR?

Thanks,

Greg

Sent: Wednesday, August 07, 2013 6:35 PM

Subject: RE: [Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum] “Unable to create Oracle session” in MyToad

Reply by grego

Thanks Greg, appreciate it. This is the method my team uses, so if it can be added as an enhancement, that would be great.

Or

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

Once I input that syntax, I get prompted with the Oracle Login box, and after I had entered the info, it produces the ORA-12154 error. Maybe I can check my TNSNAMES.ora file to ensure it’s set properly? I still have a feeling it’s something to do with my setup.

Thanks

If you’re using directconnect, TNSNames isn’t required. I had renamed mine for the experiment to be sure that it wasn’t an issue.

Sent: Thursday, August 08, 2013 10:01 AM

Reply by grego

Once I input that syntax, I get prompted with the Oracle Login box, and after I had entered the info, it produces the ORA-12154 error. Maybe I can check my TNSNAMES.ora file to ensure it’s
set properly? I still have a feeling it’s something to do with my setup.

Thanks

Or

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.